What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reasons the iPad is Better than a Netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i bought it and of course like all other rss apps there is no logical control. You can either look at it in landscape and manually choose which item to read, or go to portrait and press the awkwardly placed up and down button positioned in a place that has nothing to do with how the device is held....oh well...maybe someday there will be a good one.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the issue is one of minor variance in what people use a netbook/iPad/laptop for. I ignore a lot of the nuances of computers like RSS feeds, on-line games, most games in general, and twitter. I do have a facebook account, but only to check in on what is going on in a very large family. I would never want a netbook for the reason I don't see any advantage over my MacBook and the keypad is better on the MacBook. I would never give up my iMac just because I have the MacBook, and I do not plan on trading my MacBook for my iPad. I do plan on using my iPad for travel because I do not do a lot of writing or other work on the road. I need to check e-mails, surf the web, read books, and the occassional game of Freecell. That is where the iPad is a promising device. I take my MB everywhere, but it has no 3G and is not as friendly for airline seats or long car drives. The battery life is too short and it has too many accessories. A netbook is no different and it is not a Mac. All you get is a smaller screen with no real added benefits.

Kargurin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i bought it and of course like all other rss apps there is no logical control. You can either look at it in landscape and manually choose which item to read, or go to portrait and press the awkwardly placed up and down button positioned in a place that has nothing to do with how the device is held....oh well...maybe someday there will be a good one.

I see you use your newsreader much different than i do. I scan the article summaries and choose which article to read. I wasn't even aware of the up down buttons till you mentioned them and it seems to be missing in landscape. You seem to want to see every article. Yes newsrob has the embedded arrows in the article body which I always seem to hit by accident. I also find newsrob gives me a lot of broken links. You'd probably like Newsroom for the android. No feed summaries....you gotta swipe through everything. Actually I'm using that now because I find newsrob, feedr, blue news, et al. all have big problems.....for me anyway. Good luck!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I see you use your newsreader much different than i do. I scan the article summaries and choose which article to read. I wasn't even aware of the up down buttons till you mentioned them and it seems to be missing in landscape. You seem to want to see every article. Yes newsrob has the embedded arrows in the article body which I always seem to hit by accident. I also find newsrob gives me a lot of broken links. You'd probably like Newsroom for the android. No feed summaries....you gotta swipe through everything. Actually I'm using that now because I find newsrob, feedr, blue news, et al. all have big problems.....for me anyway. Good luck!

I just want one like iBook where you just tap either side of the screen to go to the next article. Seems to be impossible to find on iPad....sad.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I just make a quick side note about using World of Warcraft as a barometer for modern gaming on a netbook.

Firstly it is not modern in any way. It came out in 2005 and by video game standards that is ANCIENT.

Secondly the system specs are as follows:

Microsoft Windows
Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 (32- & 64-bit supported)
Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP 1500+ 1300 MHz
512 MB or more of RAM (1 GB for Vista Users)
32 MB 3D video card with Hardware T&L or better
15 GB free HD space
4× CD-ROM drive
Broadband Internet connection

So of course it can run it....it requires a computer from 10 years ago.

Modern gaming refers to games that have specs for systems from this decade. Half life and quake will run on a netbook too...does that make it a gaming device?

If Blizzard chose to they could easily port WoW to the iPad.

Kargurin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see you use your newsreader much different than i do. I scan the article summaries and choose which article to read. I wasn't even aware of the up d

I just want one like iBook where you just tap either side of the screen to go to the next article. Seems to be impossible to find on iPad....sad.

I subscribe to 15 feeds. I need to see the article summaries cause swiping article to article is tedious and takes too long.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

vlustig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
info-actual.com
It is better than a netbook because its really more cool, people see and iPad and scream !!! People see a netbook, and... whatever.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see you use your newsreader much different than i do. I scan the article summaries and choose which article to read. I wasn't even aware of the up d

I subscribe to 15 feeds. I need to see the article summaries cause swiping article to article is tedious and takes too long.

I didn't say swiping I said tapping the sides of the screen like iBook. I subscribe to about 40 feeds and I view them all.

Kargurin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Swiping, and tapping.... yes I know what you mean. It just seems the same to me. 40 feeds and I can't imagine how many articles that means viewing individually. I'll just view the summaries first but to each his own......

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Swiping, and tapping.... yes I know what you mean. It just seems the same to me. 40 feeds and I can't imagine how many articles that means viewing individually. I'll just view the summaries first but to each his own......

It's usually about 240 a day which is why its faster to be able to quickly flip thru them instead of having to individually select things. It takes forever to have to decide what to read, I use google reader because I can just scroll down the page quickly and it marks everything I pass as read...if I want to read something in more detail I can stop and read it, but at least I don't miss anything....with newsrob I just tap quickly on the side of the screen to skip to the next article stopping when I see something I want to read.

Zardoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny this is posted as I just sold my net book tonight. I stopped using it after I got the iPad. The ipad does much more of what I like then The net book could ever do.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never wanted a netbook. There is nothing that I did not feel my 13" MacBook couldn't do better, and worth trading a better keyboard for a little less size. The iPad is much more than a netbook. It is the ultimate mobile computer form. Besides which, those who do not like the touch keypad just has to wait until the 7th generation when the voice command model comes out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts