What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reasons the iPad is Better than a Netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

coregeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.coregeek.net
I'm the author of this list. It's nice to see some love here. The trolls have been in force in the comments @ Erictric. That's to be expected though. Looking forward to hanging out here in the future.

Last edited:

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Welcome core geek.... Good list, and I can imagine the haters got pretty worked up. Hope you will hang out with is and contribute often....

OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm the author of this list. It's nice to see some love here. The trolls have been in force in the comments @ Erictric. That's to be expected though. Looking forward to hanging out here in the future.

Hey buddy

Welcome Eric, that post of yours has been warmly received by many.

The Apple haters, I have two polices towards.

Don't answer a fool according to his foolishness that you become like him. (The woefully headstrong ignorant = trolls)

Answer a fool according to his foolishness that he doesn't become wise in his own eyes.
(The truly uninformed need more facts and understanding of the subject as they have reached wrong conclusions.)

Those two proverbs are thousands of years old.

Last edited:

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's another one: Always on - wherever you go - in the car - at work - in the park - at a restaurant - meeting someone on the street - always there and always ready!

Oops - wait a minute - give it a week or two for this one :p

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never understood how a institution supposedly dedicated to learning, would ban the iPad. But then, universities are not about education. They are about taking large amounts of money to cram a lot of information into thick skulls so they can claim to be qualified for a job. I shouldn't be so sarcastic, but the traditional college is going to have to change. More is needed to produce thinkers, but there is not enough time to create trained experts and to create well rounded leaders.

OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never understood how a institution supposedly dedicated to learning, would ban the iPad. But then, universities are not about education. They are about taking large amounts of money to cram a lot of information into thick skulls so they can claim to be qualified for a job. I shouldn't be so sarcastic, but the traditional college is going to have to change. More is needed to produce thinkers, but there is not enough time to create trained experts and to create well rounded leaders.

Same way the entire nation of Jews banned the iPad the other day. I am still laughing at the thought of Israel selectively banning the iPad.

What are they really afraid off?

People will stop buying their crappy netbooks?

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Israel is more about politics than anything else. A lot of their people make a living writing apps, but if they do not buy from the political connected Apple distributor, they are not allowed to have iPads. And do not forget, that Apple will not train technicians on the iPad until the stores are selling them. So if something goes wrong, like some overseas buyers have mentioned, they could be out of luck in getting them fixed. At least until the May international launch.

rob the elder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting

Left off

Forces you to move to a new email app because it will not support Outlook, which the vast majority of users know and love

Will not play any of the vast family of online games for windows

Our netbook is well made, has run 24/7 for over a year, connects via internal wireless N, runs Win XP and all the apps you want. Its a tiny laptop.

Its not an IPAD but then the IPAD is not a real computer yet, let alone netbook.

The IPAD is directed at NON computer users and early adopters. If it gets too much like a real computer then it will loose its target audience which is the market that do NOT want a real computer and it will steal sales from other Apple computers.

The genius of the IPAD is that it is NOT a netbook let alone a real computer.

rob the elder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Israel is more about politics than anything else. A lot of their people make a living writing apps, but if they do not buy from the political connected Apple distributor, they are not allowed to have iPads. And do not forget, that Apple will not train technicians on the iPad until the stores are selling them. So if something goes wrong, like some overseas buyers have mentioned, they could be out of luck in getting them fixed. At least until the May international launch.

So I am confused. Apple failed to get the IPAD certified for use in Isreal, based on their laws that are well understood and its Isreal's fault?

Grape or Cherry?

OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you seen one 4Phun? I haven't yet - I'm afraid to go into the store to look at one - might find myself waking up in the hospital in a straight jacket handcuffed to the bed :confused:
Yes, BTW if you have seeen a Wi-Fi iPad, note the 3G is reported to be heavier and slightly thicker on one end. I have not held or used a 3G iPad yet.

OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting

Left off

Forces you to move to a new email app because it will not support Outlook, which the vast majority of users know and love

The genius of the IPAD is that it is NOT a netbook let alone a real computer.

Actually I moved away form Outlook two years ago as I added Ubuntu, Max OS X and the iPhone to the stable of platforms I use. It is easier to move from OS to OS if you can keep a common interface using the web browser.

If you go with either Android or Apple that common interface lies strongly with Google for Calenders, Contacts, Groups, Chat, and Email. Open Office works well on Mac and Windows.

The Mac is by far my favorite OS now. I dread using Windows 7 and refuse to sit and provide help for any previous version of windows. I don't have the time for that crap any more. I still have MS Office, I simply avoid using it if at all possible.

Instead of One Note, I use Evernote etc.
Instead of DOC I use PDF which is strongly supported by the Mac OS. PDF is a strong replacement for paper now for me. PDF files work every where.

Did you see my drift?

The iPad will gradually impact others in a similar manner.

A big plus no one seems to pick up on is the iPad is very safe for using the Internet. I can not feel easy with all my anti virus, system monitors, anti crap ware scanners etc running on Windows 7. Anyone who buys a netbook buys this pile of garbage too. Then you spend a good part of your life running system updates from Microsoft and even Adobe.

The only ones who have problems with the iPhone OS are the ones who choose to jailbreak it and live on the dangerous side.

Not having to run an antivirus and all that other crapware is a big plus for iPad. That is an huge advantage to a closed system, it is closed to all the bad guys who want to harm you or your family.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts