What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overall iPad 3 disappointing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Same design, slightly heavier, slightly thicker, same battery life.

Here is hoping for ipad 4 with new design, thinner and lighter than iPad 2 and with greater battery life.

There is a despondent feeling that the new iPad is nothing but iPad 2+.

NVRENUF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What other features would you want ? They can't reinvent the wheel.
I was thinking same thing what else could they do ?

Screen res is probably the best thing about it. and faster. this is worth the extra mm in thickness i think.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new iPad is a nifty device, but I'm opting not to upgrade, either. Will keep an eye out for what's next.

It's pretty amazing that Apple is consistently delivering better hardware at the same prices, and that many of us with the older hardware are still happy with it.

Look at it this way if you're underwhelmed by the new model: Apple just saved you upward of 500 bucks, lol.

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Change the design, size feel, additional accessories, different colours, there's so much more they could have do to the new design

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In said, I am upgrading to the new iPad but not with the same excitement and anticipation as the first 2 models.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Change the design, size feel, additional accessories, different colours, there's so much more they could have do to the new design

With the exception of size (7 or 8 inches), this wouldn't encourage me to buy another device. That's just window dressing, IMO.

NVRENUF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes but are they features that are going to change your opinion of being excited about it ?

Things that could have made it more exciting I thought would involve some brand new technology or feature something no one has seen before etc
but if nothing new is out there then what else can they do.

Can't really change the design or shape or method of use as they are just redesigning the wheel. What is left to do it.

Screen Res bump is the best thing they could have done I think. great option.

I also thought to my self they didn't do much else. but what else could they have done for it to be a ground breaking new feature that no other tablet has ?

tim

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
well...
I was not impressed about iPad 2 compared to iPad first gen an did not upgrade. I am however getting the iPad 3.

as for the redesign, with the same design your old stuff like cases and accessories will work with the new version.

its funny how people really look for a redesign of the tablets, yet with the computers/laptops they only care what has been updated on the inside.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know what else they could've introduced to get me to spend more money, but I was primed to buy and I figure it's their job to get me excited enough to buy, not mine. (Steve Jobs said consumers don't know what they want, right, lol.)

The specific things I'm interested in - lighter weight, longer battery life - aren't sexy enough to drive sales unless there are significant improvements. A couple or three ounces lighter, for instance, probably isn't going to get anyone running to the store.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score

No offense, but no. Your post indicates a fundamental misunderstanding of what the device is supposed to be - a clean, monochromatic slate with as few buttons (ultimately, they want just the Home button, remember) and connections as possible. iDevices are supposed to be white or black only. When in use, it's supposed to have nothing attached. They are working to remove keys and cords, to eliminate accessories, not add them.

They added iCloud, Photostream and added streaming of content (movies, music, tv shows) to reduce the need for a camera connection kit or external storage, and jumped to 4G to improve access to the remote stuff. They added Voice Recognition to eliminate all the external keyboards people have been adding. They improved the camera so you don't need to carry a camera.

It's funny, really; the more they clean up the design, the more people praise it - then clutter it up. :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By the way, Tim Cook said in his keynote that they're just getting started with unveiling advances this year, so maybe we'll hear something good in the next six months or so, before they have to ramp up holiday distribution.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No offense, but no. Your post indicates a fundamental misunderstanding of what the device is supposed to be - a clean, monochromatic slate with as few buttons (ultimately, they want just the Home button, remember) and connections as possible. iDevices are supposed to be white or black only. When in use, it's supposed to have nothing attached. They are working to remove keys and cords, to eliminate accessories, not add them.

They added iCloud, Photostream and added streaming of content (movies, music, tv shows) to reduce the need for a camera connection kit or external storage, and jumped to 4G to improve access to the remote stuff. They added Voice Recognition to eliminate all the external keyboards people have been adding. They improved the camera so you don't need to carry a camera.

It's funny, really; the more they clean up the design, the more people praise it - then clutter it up. :)

I'm interested in improved functionality, but to get me to buy, they have to come up with sexier tech that improves my uses. The new model "fixes" things I didn't consider problems, so those are the deciding factors for me not buying.

The "improved" cameras are a joke for picture taking, IMO. I have an iPhone with much better camera, which I always carry. I'm never going to expect my iPad, which is limited to viable camera quality for video calling, to take decent photos.

That said, it's great that some people are excited about the new iPad. I'm not knocking it; Apple just didn't do enough to get me to spend, and I'm generally an easy sell.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Screen size and general feel is not going to change any time soon. People need consistency and the vendors, app makers, and others have too much involve with the demand of minor changes, to be able to make major changes at every whim. This is why Android is not doing as good with tablets. Too much variety of models to make them work seamlessly.

The retina screen is a major leap forward and only Apple could have pulled it off at this time. The camera is an enigma. The front camera is useful for those who want to use Facetime. The rear camera is the question. It is nice to have in some cases. I could have used a better camera than the VGA in my Moto Razr this morning, but an iPhone is a much better form factor for that. However, my understanding is that it is going to be the same quality of photos as the iPhone 4S. One the bright side, it will be a lot better to share the pictures taken on the iPad.

If you want a tricked out iPad, the practical way is to get a jazzed up cover and apps.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The cameras are a far cry from what's in iPhone 4S. Sharing photos between iPhone and iPad is a cinch because of photo stream, especially now that iOS 5.1 allows deleting of individual photos from the stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts