What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Realistic Battery Life on iPad 3

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just wondering what some of you more experienced Apple folks believe the expected battery life of the iPad 3 will be on average.
The battery is significantly larger than the iPad 2 but I'm sure the drain is much higher also.

Is anything beyond 2 years unrealistic?
Maybe trying to get it replaced on AppleCare + at the end of coverage is a good idea? ;)

Thanks...

btw - I'm enjoying the heck out of this thing. :D

Last edited:

Darkstar2007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.iphoneforums.net
I believe the battery would hold up for 2 years plus, but there's many factors that could make it last or wear quicker. Like usage amount or storage temperatures to name a couple.
My iPhone 4's battery has lasted almost 2 years now and it still holds just a good of a charge as day 1. I used it pretty heavily too, but like I said, there's many factors that could affect the life of the battery.
You could always try and have the battery replaced when your 2 years is almost up, but Apple has specific software that checks the batteries condition and shows the worst battery life cycle you've gotten and the best cycle you've had. Just wanted to throw that in there. :)

OP
buerkletucson

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You could always try and have the battery replaced when your 2 years is almost up, but Apple has specific software that checks the batteries condition and shows the worst battery life cycle you've gotten and the best cycle you've had. Just wanted to throw that in there. :)

Should of known Apple would cover their butts on this one.....
What's the world coming to when you can't get a freebie once in a while. :p

The $99 battery replacement isn't a bad deal, if needed.
Guess I won't worry about it until the time comes, I was just wondering what to expect.
Thanks...

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Charging is not the time as long as possible, should be stopped as soon as the battery protection circuit full charge, otherwise the battery will affect performance due to heat or overheating

It's unfortunate that posts like yours, based on hearsay or random thoughts off the top of your head, or lack of simple research tend to spread misinformation and possibly some worry to iPad users. I won't reference the many clarifications you can get by simply searching on "iPad battery overcharging". Surely the following statement by Michael Tchao, Apple's Vice President of iPad Product Marketing should set your, and others' mind at rest:

"Apple does in fact display the iPad (and other iOS devices) as 100% charged just before it reaches a completely charged level. At this point it will continue charging to 100%, then discharge and charge back to 100%. It will repeat this process until the device is unplugged. That circuitry is designed so you can keep your device plugged in as long as you will like."

Silly persistent rumors of the iPad destroying itself by overcharging have been circulating long enough. Time they stopped!
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
buerkletucson

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's unfortunate that posts like yours, based on hearsay or random thoughts off the top of your head, or lack of simple research tend to spread misinformation and possibly some worry to iPad users. I won't reference the many clarifications you can get by simply searching on "iPad battery overcharging". Surely the following statement by Michael Tchao, Apple's Vice President of iPad Product Marketing should set your, and others' mind at rest:

"Apple does in fact display the iPad (and other iOS devices) as 100% charged just before it reaches a completely charged level. At this point it will continue charging to 100%, then discharge and charge back to 100%. It will repeat this process until the device is unplugged. That circuitry is designed so you can keep your device plugged in as long as you will like."

Silly persistent rumors of the iPad destroying itself by overcharging have been circulating long enough. Time they stopped!
Regards, Andrew

Thank You!
I saw that post and knew it was completely inaccurate...........Thanks for setting things straight. :thumbs:

OP
buerkletucson

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK, I won't start another battery thread but have another question......

When you plug the charger into an iPad that is shut off it powers on......not sure why but it does.
Since I don't plan to use it when it's charging I again power it off with the cord attached.....it continues to charge this way.

Does shutting it off and having it continue to charge affect the charge cycle in any way?
Is the power adapter controlling the "smart charging" or is the iPad?

Sorry for the questions but I'm anal <meticulious> about these things. :p

Thanks....

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I won't start another battery thread but have another question......

When you plug the charger into an iPad that is shut off it powers on......not sure why but it does.
Since I don't plan to use it when it's charging I again power it off with the cord attached.....it continues to charge this way.

Does shutting it off and having it continue to charge affect the charge cycle in any way?
Is the power adapter controlling the "smart charging" or is the iPad?

Sorry for the questions but I'm anal <meticulious> about these things. :p

Thanks....

G'day buerkletucson. That's a very good question, and I've wondered that myself, which of course indicates I haven't got a bloody clue about it at all

I have noticed that while charging, the standard supplied adaptor goes warm but when the iPad is charged up it gets cool again while still plugged in to power. So I guess there must be some regulator within the adaptor itself.

The iPad3 battery which is large in area also gets warm mainly in a certain area of the iPad. Whether it's those little ions doing their thing charging all around the place in a much bigger iPad3 battery or whether the iPad is also regulating the battery, I'd be guessing. Hopefully one of the more techie people on this forum might answer both our questions.
Regards, Andrew

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting thread :)

I'd suggest taking the experts' view on this, namely Apple's
Apple (United Kingdom) - Batteries - iPad

To quote just one part of that page...
Charge Cycles
A properly maintained iPad battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs.

Assuming one full charge cycle per day, your iPad battery will gradually decline from 100% capacity to 80% capacity over 2years 9 months of use. :) that's a nice long time & interestingly it is double the length of time that Asus say their Transformer range of tablet batteries wil last. Apple clearly use excellent batteries. :)

vish26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
but Apple has specific software that checks the batteries condition and shows the worst battery life cycle you've gotten and the best cycle you've had. Just wanted to throw that in there. :)

Can you please put that Software from Apple that you are talking about to Check the Battery Condition?

Darkstar2007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.iphoneforums.net
Can you please put that Software from Apple that you are talking about to Check the Battery Condition?

I'm not positive what your asking me?

If you mean is the software open to the public.. Then no. The software was leaked at one point, but it wouldn't work since the software had to be activated with a genius password and used through Apples server.

Most reactions