What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 Said to Have Thinner and Lighter Battery

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_2_4.JPG

Boy Genius Report features a story from the Taiwan Economic News today which says that Apple has enlisted Simplo Technology and Dynapack International Technology to make the battery packs for the iPad 3. Apparently these new batteries that will be made by these two new companies will be “thinner and lighter†than those in the iPad 2, according to the Taiwan Economic News’ sources, and because of this, the battery packs’ costs will rise to between 20% and 30%. However, despite being thinner and lighter, the batteries will also last longer than those in the iPad 2, although there are no specific details revealed about how much longer, as yet. Quite what the extra space created by these smaller batteries could mean is open to speculation; it could mean that Apple plans to make the iPad 3 even thinner overall than the iPad 2, or maybe it needs more room inside to accommodate some new element, such as a Retina screen, for example.

Source: Details on new battery suggest thinner, lighter iPad 3 design

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder how noticeable the difference would be. Two or three ounces are a significant percentage of the iPad's weight, but, meh, not that big a difference. If iPad lost half its weight, that'd be great, but probably isn't likely.

MichelleVivera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple is said to have chosen two suppliers to provide batteries that will be thinner and lighter, but also up to 30 percent more expensive, for its third-generation iPad.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple is said to have chosen two suppliers to provide batteries that will be thinner and lighter, but also up to 30 percent more expensive, for its third-generation iPad.

Yes, that's what the link says. But it's not confirmed info.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The price that Apple will pay is also not known to any reporter...

-t

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Quite what the extra space created by these smaller batteries could mean is open to speculation; it could mean that Apple plans to make the iPad 3 even thinner overall than the iPad 2, or maybe it needs more room inside to accommodate some new element, such as a Retina screen, for example.
My preference would be for them to add built-in 4G capability. Reports have said they haven't done this because it would reduce battery life by an hour or so, but now it looks like they could. I doubt they will, though - they seem to feel there's no demand.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's still early to adopt 4G in a mass market consumer device that's shipping 200,000 units a day... Maybe the iPad 4...

-t

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pharlap said:
No 4g will come as the telco will have to come up with cheaper plans

How do you figure?? The telcos can do whatever they want, yes?

Sent from my Verizon 64GB Black iPad using iPF

Chicken12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the ipad 3 would need to be bulkier to have the LTE because of the batter drainage. i love the speed of the 3g, but when it comes, i think LTE will be AMAZING.

Most reactions