What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overall iPad 3 disappointing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new screen will be awesome, but thicker and heavier make at a pass for me.

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Screen resolution that is better than 1080p, quad-core processor and better cameras. Seem like significant upgrades to me. I am looking at replacing my less than one year old iPad 2 with a new one and passing the 2 to oldest daughter who is in college and finally realized the utility of having an iPad.

Bubsdaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the original iPad after the iPad 2 was released. Verizon had them for $200 off original price. I just sold my iPad for $75 less than I paid to put towards an iPad 3 which will be here Friday. I upgraded because with resale value it's pretty inexpensive to do. As the iPad line progresses in power the original will get left behind on new software and iOS upgrades. $75 is pretty cheap for a year of iPad usage.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The reason for the increased thickness and weight of the new iPad is the new retina display,which consumes significantly more power than the display on the iPad 1 or 2.A larger battery was the only way to keep the same battery life on the new iPad.

AlxiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bubsdaddy said:
I bought the original iPad after the iPad 2 was released. Verizon had them for $200 off original price. I just sold my iPad for $75 less than I paid to put towards an iPad 3 which will be here Friday. I upgraded because with resale value it's pretty inexpensive to do. As the iPad line progresses in power the original will get left behind on new software and iOS upgrades. $75 is pretty cheap for a year of iPad usage.

That's a pretty neat way of doing things

Sent from my iPad 2

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Everyone's expectations are "artificial" by that thinking, because they're all subjective. You don't have to agree with anyone's thread for conversation to thrive on this forum.

I declined being a moderator because I have opinions and am going to express them, and I don't think mods should be trying to squelch discussions as long as they don't violate forum guidelines. I also recognized that mods can create a chilling effect when their opinions are such that they're essentially telling people that they must agree to have valid discussions.

I would be seriously disappointed if I thought that my opinion had to be stifled simply because I'm a mod, and am expected to toe the corporate line.

I would be even more disappointed if someone was afraid of sharing their dissenting opinion because mods were involved in the conversation.

Mods are also members. We all joined for our own reasons, maybe to get help, maybe to find like minded people, maybe to argue with fanboys who take the Apple name a little too seriously.

Anyway, that's one of my opinions and I'm not afraid to share it. If you disagree with me, go for it.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not feel that I was telling others what to say, only that I felt the term disappointed was very negative. I still do. It may be common for people to be disappointed in everything, but when we have received a very nice upgrade to a really good product, it is childish to be disappointed. It is like if your mother made a great roast beef dinner, and you say you were disappointed because you wanted beef bourguignon. The only real difference is the w(h)ine.

Last edited:

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For the life of me, I will never understand how anyone can say the new iPad is disappointing when nobody-let alone the commenter-has even had an opportunity to see, handle and play with one yet. Suffice it to say I'm pleased with the announced improvements, but-regardless of my excitement of its pending arrival this Friday-I will reserve any judgment of the new iPad until I've had it in my hands and checked it out for at least 24 hours. That's another reason why I'm keeping my iPad 2. But I believe I won't be disappointed and will keep the iPad 2 as a backup/extra/loaner/project unit.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not feel that I was telling others what to say, only that I felt the term disappointed was very negative. I still do. It may be common for people to be disappointed in everything, but when we have received a very nice upgrade to a really good product, it is childish to be disappointed. It is like if your mother made a great roast beef dinner, and you say you were disappointed because you wanted beef bourguignon. The only real difference is the w(h)ine.

Difference of opinion. No need for name-calling among adults.

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I'm beginning to wonder where one is supposed to draw the line between anticipation of the products of a company, and the second coming of whichever deity one subscribes to.

Let's go back a few years to the prehistoric age of home computing. In 1981, Clive Sinclair pretty much invented the home computer. A few years earlier he did invent the pocket calculator, but I digress. His ZX81 computer had 1 kilobyte of RAM (that is Random Access Memory to those who have never needed to know what the different types of memory are), 8 kilobytes of ROM (Read Only Memory), a monochrome display which output to a television set and no sound.

Three years later, the home computer market had expanded exponentially. 1984 saw such beasts as the Commodore 64, with color display, dedicated sound chip (SID: or Sound Interface Device) and external mass storage in the guise of the 1541 floppy disk drive with a whopping 170 kilobytes of storage per disk. Apple were about to join the fray with such machines as the Mackintosh and Lisa, and IBM had the PCjr, with infrared wireless keyboard.

Then things took off. Various GUIs (Graphical User Interface) left the days of a text based OS behind, although it lurked in the background for many years. 8 bit processors gave way to 16 bit, then 32 and so on. The floppy drive went internal, and was superseded by the HDD. Sound chips like the 3-voice SID gradually turned into equipment which could replace hi-fi sound systems.

For years, computers existed as stand-alone systems, then came the Internet. Acoustic modems capable of data transfer of 300 baud, gradually progressed to internal modems up to 56kbaud, and then into a plethora of broadband systems, becoming wireless almost without notice.

I could go on, but I'm writing a post, not a book. And I'm writing this post on a machine which is drawing it's power from inside of itself, is not visibly connected to anything, has a GUI which makes it's predecessors of only a few years ago look sick. The post is being automatically spell-checked as I type (BY TAPPING ON A PIECE OF GLASS). When I get bored with this I can tap on a different bit of this glass and play games (even Dragonvale if I wanted), or refer to the encyclopedia of my choice, make a video call to any part of the world, play a movie or listen to music. This piece of glass is capable of stuff that Arthur C Clarke referred to as "indistinguishable from magic" and you can go into a store and get one, for scarcely more than the price of a Commodore 64 in 1984.

I invite you to be impressed.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Yes I agree,
I am impressed.
Some people are never happy.
And I'm only the owner of the original iPad
Still Happy and very impressed.
I learn some thing new all the time with this amazing piece of technology.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I agree,
I am impressed.
Some people are never happy.
And I'm only the owner of the original iPad
Still Happy and very impressed.
I learn some thing new all the time with this amazing piece of technology.

That's contrary to what many users are saying: Many people are happy with iPad 1 and 2 and don't see significant reason to upgrade given the new model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions