What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OpenDNS has made my iPad web browsing twice as fast

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Uhhh, I said highspeed Internet will be free soon in 10 yrs or 20 yrs never did I say that cellular coverage will be free..

Look at how much the price dropped, when high speed came out it was like almost 100 bucks, now I pay 15 and I have free access to hotspots..

Burger king

McDonalds

Del taco

Local malls

And star bucks will soon have or already have
free wifi..

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
well, highspeed is a fairly ambiguous term. I guess you are referring to dsl, cable, etc. I still dont see them being free any time soon. They could get very cheap though. Someone still has to spend the money to make the service available. That involves a lot of equipment to install and maintain. Phone service providers are busy trying to get the world on fiber to the door service and that takes revenue.

I hope you're right! I would love to have free internet everywhere. Unfortunately, I rarely eat fast food or go to malls. Luckily, ATT has pretty good coverage in my city and my company pays my data bill :)

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And star bucks will soon have or already have
free wifi..

I'm really surprised Starbucks waited so long. They're pitching the "it's all for you, our customer" angle but the truth is that it can't have been generating much revenue; since any AT&T account (dial-up, DSL, wireless data, etc) gets you free access and most are located close to free hotspots and *$ themselves started throwing it in for various promotions, hardly anyone was paying anyway, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did this a while back on my home router and noticed a slight difference on all the pcs in the house. Now that I think about it, the iPad does seem to resolve faster when I'm at home than on public hotspots. I just figured it was because I had a better connection, but this could have something to do with it.

BTW, for those that missed it OpenDNS is free.

As for free broadband, I seem to be seeing the opposite. Everywhere I go now wifi is locked up and a paid service. The days of free hotspots are pretty much gone around where I live and where I have traveled. On our recent trip to CO, the only place I could get any kind of internet was at our hotel. Other hotels, restaurants, etc were all locked down and there was no data service available through ATT anywhere we went. I would occaisionally get an edge signal, but it was generally so slow it was worthless.

I hear they have a pro paid version now.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did this a while back on my home router and noticed a slight difference on all the pcs in the house. Now that I think about it, the iPad does seem to resolve faster when I'm at home than on public hotspots. I just figured it was because I had a better connection, but this could have something to do with it.

BTW, for those that missed it OpenDNS is free.

As for free broadband, I seem to be seeing the opposite. Everywhere I go now wifi is locked up and a paid service. The days of free hotspots are pretty much gone around where I live and where I have traveled. On our recent trip to CO, the only place I could get any kind of internet was at our hotel. Other hotels, restaurants, etc were all locked down and there was no data service available through ATT anywhere we went. I would occaisionally get an edge signal, but it was generally so slow it was worthless.

I hear they have a pro paid version now.
True. All I can tell that gives you is more sophisticated blocking capabilities. The free version is all most people will ever need.

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, signed up and changed dns, don't see any diff. And it said success after I test to see if it went thru so I know I did it right..

Did anybody see an increase in speed?

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, signed up and changed dns, don't see any diff. And it said success after I test to see if it went thru so I know I did it right..

Did anybody see an increase in speed?
If you did it wrong, you would probably break your internet connection.

I dont know that you will see a direct speed increase like for a download or such long transfer. Your current DNS service through your Internet provider may already be pretty fast, in which case, you wont see a difference.

What it helps is the time between clicking a link and when it starts loading the page. Every time your browser goes to load a page, or even individual elements on a page, it has to do a lookup to find the address of the computer where that page or image is hosted. That lookup process can take up to 5 sec or so for each page and sometimes it has to lookup several items on a page. If you see a difference, you will notice things feeling snappier when you click a link or as a page loads - like the browser is responding to your clicks faster.

Greg_Cornish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a lot of problems with domain name resolution and changed all my computers to opendns. The problem was not in the dl speed, it was just waiting and waiting to start. Once it got going it was speedy. Now my computers are fine but my iPhone and iPad suck.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a lot of problems with domain name resolution and changed all my computers to opendns. The problem was not in the dl speed, it was just waiting and waiting to start. Once it got going it was speedy. Now my computers are fine but my iPhone and iPad suck.
It might help us to assist you if you could provide a more concise description than "suck."

Greg_Cornish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It might help us to assist you if you could provide a more concise description than "suck."
Sorry if you felt mislead but I wasn't asking for help. It's a rather easy fix when I have the time. And the definition of suck here means a less than adequate performance. That's all you really need to know.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like an ad, I'm not paying extra for a dns, it's bad snuff I pay so much for my dsl..

In 10 years from now all high speed will be free, like hotspots are becoming more free..
Did you even read the thread?

apparently not.

And free high speed in 10 years? I doubt that. It's a nice thought, but I know my high speed internet rates haven't done anything but go up in the last 10 years. The best case is that home internet will be cheaper for any areas other than those highly populated localles (NYC, LA, etc.) and MAYBE it might be free in the high population locations, but "free for everyone" is much longer away than that.

Hell, there are homes that don't even have cell service/high-speed access.

What a dream.

Anyway, OT: Thanks OP, I might have to check that out. I'm pretty lazy and the browsing is *sufficient* for me, however faster = always better ;)

Actually the price has had an insignificant increase but the performance has increased 4 to 5 times.

RockyMtnGal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Changing DNS did not speed up YT on iPad

I changed my DNS settings to the best option after running the Benchmark tool. Nothing.....tried to change it to the OpenDNS....this made no difference at all. YT still crawls.

Most reactions