What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone Else Have This Problem?

davyvfr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an iPad 3 and I have scheduled an appointment with a Genius this Friday because of poor Wifi reception and slow download/upload speeds. Many people online say its my router, which I would like to believe it is, but I can't after spending 9 months trying to fix this problem. (Also, Iphone 5 has a faster download/upload speed than iPad)

Things I have tried are:

1) Restore Router to default settings
2) Enable/Disable QOS, Enable/Disable WMM
3) Update Router Firmware
4) Restart Modem/Router
5) Restore iPad 3 from iTunes new
6) Reset Network Settings
7) Tested with different Routers
8) Changed DNS to Google DNS/Open DNS
9) Tested on 5GHZ/2.4GHZ band
10) Compare to iPhone 5, and another iPad 3 (32GB) Cellular BOTH on Wifi (same network and same band) They were faster than my iPad by double
11) Moved Close to Router, still, iPhone speed doubled
12) Turn off Bluetooth (reported to fix slow Wifi issues, in my case, it didn't)
13) Contacted ISP and plugged MacBook in direct connect to achieve 30mbps download, 15mbps upload
14) Tested iPad on Wireless N/B/G (all poor results)
15) Hard Reset and iPad Restart
16) Turn Wifi On/Off
17) Disable Wifi Security (WPA2) - Slight improvement by 1-2mbps. Not an option to have no security
18) Tried different router channels instead of autoscan (each one individually, 5GHZ and 2.4GHZ)

My iPad warranty is just about up in August, and I have finally given up. I was determined to fix this problem but its out of my reach.

Any more ideas, is there anything I have not tried?

Last edited:

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,
Just a thought, have you tried your iPad on someone else's Wi-Fi connection? That should give you some indication where the problem lies. You seem to have covered all the bases except this one.
Good luck.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, I see you have tested on different routers but what I meant to say was try it at someone else's home/office.

OP
D

davyvfr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I see you have tested on different routers but what I meant to say was try it at someone else's home/office.

I have my home wifi and my university wifi. I understand university wifi is slow and it is no different here. However, I use my MacBook Pro as a router in my dorm room, while my iPhone doesn't need to connect to it, it connects to my university wifi. Its reception is so good it can achieve 20mbps in the slowest wifi places to go while my iPad achieves a poor 2mbps.

The interesting thing is that if I get 80mbps on my MacBook Pro (using Internet Sharing in dorm), my iPhone gets 77mbps (close enough and plenty fast), my iPad, will get 40mbps. Exactly half of what it should be getting. This was tested on a 100mbps download and 100mbps upload plan.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's not impossible to have a device that is defective. Take it in.

OP
D

davyvfr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not impossible to have a device that is defective. Take it in.

I will do so. Their support is very good. I got my MacBook Pro battery tested and found out it just needed to be cycled, and they replaced my iPhone 5 for another one because the sleep/wake button was broken

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently took my iPad 3 in because of WiFi issues, mostly FaceTime constantly dropping calls where as my iPhone did not. They did a full DFU restore on the iPad which included all the firmware as well as software. So far it is working great. They told me to keep an eye on it and if it continues to do it they would replace it for me. Service doesn't get much better than that IMO. :)

OP
D

davyvfr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently took my iPad 3 in because of WiFi issues, mostly FaceTime constantly dropping calls where as my iPhone did not. They did a full DFU restore on the iPad which included all the firmware as well as software. So far it is working great. They told me to keep an eye on it and if it continues to do it they would replace it for me. Service doesn't get much better than that IMO. :)

Nice, I like Apple support. Should I leave it up to the genius to do a DFU restore? Or should I try it, but I am a bit unexperienced in that area

And does doing a DFU restore void warranty?

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice, I like Apple support. Should I leave it up to the genius to do a DFU restore? Or should I try it, but I am a bit unexperienced in that area

And does doing a DFU restore void warranty?

No, a DFU restore cannot void the warranty. It is a recommended process by Apple if you are having persistent problems getting a restore to work. However, there should be no need to do one, if a normal restore works correctly. There is no difference in the end product of a normal restore versus a DFU restore. DFU is only used if a normal restore cannot be completed.

We do have a guide here, if you want to try it in DFU mode - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html

If you need to restore the device, you should always connect to iTunes and press the restore button as a first step - 99% of the time, that should always succeed for most users.
If that process runs into problems, then DFU may be the next thing to try.
We have a guide which exhausts a full failsafe restore process here as a last resort - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html, but you should only need that in exceptional circumstances.

Normally, when you take your device to the Genius Bar they will ask you if you have recently restored it to try and resolve the problem (don't lie and tell them you have, if you haven't. They have a tool to check!). If you haven't done it yourself, they will do it for you and send you home to see if that resolves it, so it is definitely best to restore the device first to see if you fix it yourself ;)
If you can show that you tried a restore yourself and it didn't work, then will normally replace the device for a new one on the spot.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
OP
D

davyvfr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, a DFU restore cannot void the warranty. It is a recommended process by Apple if you are having persistent problems getting a restore to work. However, there should be no need to do one, if a normal restore works correctly. There is no difference in the end product of a normal restore versus a DFU restore. DFU is only used if a normal restore cannot be completed.

We do have a guide here, if you want to try it in DFU mode - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html

If you need to restore the device, you should always connect to iTunes and press the restore button as a first step - 99% of the time, that should always succeed for most users.
If that process runs into problems, then DFU may be the next thing to try.
We have a guide which exhausts a full failsafe restore process here as a last resort - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html, but you should only need that in exceptional circumstances.

Normally, when you take your device to the Genius Bar they will ask you if you have recently restored it to try and resolve the problem (don't lie and tell them you have, if you haven't. They have a tool to check!). If you haven't done it yourself, they will do it for you and send you home to see if that resolves it, so it is definitely best to restore the device first to see if you fix it yourself ;)
If you can show that you tried a restore yourself and it didn't work, then will normally replace the device for a new one on the spot.

Good Luck!

Great. And are you saying that if the restore did not fix the problem they should replace it or are you saying they will replace it if the restore was not successful?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great. And are you saying that if the restore did not fix the problem they should replace it or are you saying they will replace it if the restore was not successful?

The first one, but if the restore was not successful they will fix that for you too, and if they can't they would normally replace (assuming it is in the warranty period of course).

OP
D

davyvfr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, warranty expires in August 2013. While, I'm going to let this thread go. I will post back what my Apple store did to solve the problem on Friday. I can only hope they replace it.

Just wondering, since my iPad has been restored, which means no apps on it. Should I reinstall the SpeedTest app or would that not be necessary for them?

And thanks to all of those users who responded to this thread :)

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, warranty expires in August 2013. While, I'm going to let this thread go. I will post back what my Apple store did to solve the problem on Friday. I can only hope they replace it.

Just wondering, since my iPad has been restored, which means no apps on it. Should I reinstall the SpeedTest app or would that not be necessary for them?

And thanks to all of those users who responded to this thread :)

When I took mine in they used the speed test app to check the download and upload times. It is really no big deal, if you don't have it on your iPad when you go they will just have you enter your password and download it right there.

OP
D

davyvfr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I took mine in they used the speed test app to check the download and upload times. It is really no big deal, if you don't have it on your iPad when you go they will just have you enter your password and download it right there.

I just noticed something, why would they need to do a DFU restore on your iPad? Would it not restore from iTunes properly? (just wondering)

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just noticed something, why would they need to do a DFU restore on your iPad? Would it not restore from iTunes properly? (just wondering)

I had done several restores from iTunes even as you did, start from scratch and not load from a previous backup. Unfortunately the problem continued. One of the differences between a normal restore and a DFU restore is that it allows the firmware to be updated, which relates to the WiFi. DFU (device firmware upgrade), it basically puts the iPad in a state which the firmware may be updated as opposed to just the software.

Most reactions

Latest posts