What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkstar2007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.iphoneforums.net
Eshon said:
Dear smart mates, i recently found a huge info on the net regarding to what is jailbreak... And I am totally lost, confused... So, I just want to ask you guys to explain with easy understanding (I.e. non-scientific, lol) words of what jailbreak is, what benefits I will have on my iPad 2, 3G after jailbreaking and etc.

Your replies highly welcomed & appreciated!

This thread will answer your question.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreak-explained-new-updated-2011-a.html
Hope this helps!

soodgautam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a jail-broken iPad 2(WiFi only) - running on 4.3.3 ...I have shsh blobs saved for 4.3.3 - should I upgrade to 5.0.1 (as warned/suggested in the first post) ?

Hufn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably. I don't have any great experience but from what I have seen the jb for ipad2 on 5.0.1 is coming soon and the blobs can no longer allow you to load a version that is not current with apple. So if they release 5.1 and you didn't update to 5.0.1 then you're sol... :(

I missed the window for 4.3.3 and am excited about this :)

KiNgdomraj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, if I have my shah blob saved for 4.3.3 and I upgrade to 5.0.1 now, in case the jb doesn't get released in the near future, can I revert back to the current firmware. Also if I save my 5.0.1 shah blobs. Can I upgrade to it later, when there is a jailbreak for it

voodooman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the greenpois0n rc 10. Claims to work on ipad 2 5.0.1 untethered.

Sora

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi guys, I've a super silly question that shouldn't be asked but i really must know the answer! T.T
my ipad2 3G is running 5.0.1 do i need to make blobs, shsh and whatever connected to these thingys?
i mean are they required for the jailbreak? without them = no JB ??

soodgautam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 - SHSH blobs there or not ...does not make any difference for 5.x.x IOS version. It worked only for 4.3.3

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the greenpois0n rc 10. Claims to work on ipad 2 5.0.1 untethered.

It's bogus. If it were official, it'd be released by the greenpois0n folk themselves at their blog here: Untethered Jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1 | greenpois0n.com

The only JB out for 5.0.1 is the untethered one for everything BUT the iPad2 and iPhone 4S.

In other words - stay away from any sites claiming a 5.0.1 jailbreak! Better yet, RUN away from such sites! And, stay tuned here, or at the other major sites, for any iPad2/iPhone 4S news.

Marilyn

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Sora

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Kenilik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all. Waiting waiting waiting... Sorry if any of the questions that follow have been answered previously, it's bloody hard to keep up!

I'm on 3GiPad2 433 JB3. I have all blobs since 433.

As I'm sure many do, I have my ipad 'just so' with many tweaks and theme customisations. Just to confirm:
- If I move now to 501 all my jb stuff will be gone gone gone. I'll basically have a raw 501.
- Then when jb for 501 comes available its a matter of waiting for the authors of my fav tweaks etc to upgrade them.

If apple release 502 and stop signing 501 does that mean that even with my blobs I will not be able to do a partial upgrade to 501 using TU?

Is that the basis for the advice to upgrade to 501 now, in case I miss the 501 window (24hrs after apple releases 502) and the jb comes for 501? I'll potentially be stuck here on 433jb but with no way to get to 501jb.

Its a gamble. Wait for 501jb - miss the window and be stuck on 433jb (doesn't actually sound so bad). Upgrade now and be stuck on a clean 501 until the jb (sounds TERRIBLE but perhaps it'll remind my why i love all you crazy jb cats). I can always get back to 433jb with tinycfw right?

Is there a step-by-step for restoring all apps/tweaks to a restored iPad?

Cheers,

Kenilik - New Zealand - Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all. Waiting waiting waiting... Sorry if any of the questions that follow have been answered previously, it's bloody hard to keep up!

I'm on 3GiPad2 433 JB3. I have all blobs since 433.

As I'm sure many do, I have my ipad 'just so' with many tweaks and theme customisations. Just to confirm:
- If I move now to 501 all my jb stuff will be gone gone gone. I'll basically have a raw 501.

Yes

- Then when jb for 501 comes available its a matter of waiting for the authors of my fav tweaks etc to upgrade them.

I believe you'll find that a majority of the Cydia tweaks have already been updated for iOS 5.0.1. AFAIK, there are only a couple of the more popular tweaks that aren't yet updated. But, yeah, if a tweak you have isn't updated, you'll have to wait for the developers to upgrade them.

If apple release 502 and stop signing 501 does that mean that even with my blobs I will not be able to do a partial upgrade to 501 using TU?

Yep. SHSH blobs aren't any good at this time for an iPad2 with iOS 5.x.

Is that the basis for the advice to upgrade to 501 now, in case I miss the 501 window (24hrs after apple releases 502) and the jb comes for 501? I'll potentially be stuck here on 433jb but with no way to get to 501jb.

Its a gamble. Wait for 501jb - miss the window and be stuck on 433jb (doesn't actually sound so bad). Upgrade now and be stuck on a clean 501 until the jb (sounds TERRIBLE but perhaps it'll remind my why i love all you crazy jb cats). I can always get back to 433jb with tinycfw right?

You've pretty much laid out the JBer on iOS 4.3.3 dilemma: Do you upgrade now and hope a JB is released quickly ... do you stay at 4.3.3 and enjoy the JB while waiting for JB on iOS 5.0.1 ... will you be quick enough to jump up to 5.0.1 before Apple closes the window (cause no one knows how long it'll stay or be open)...?

Because have no doubt as an iPad2 owner - if Apple releases a new firmware and you do not upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 before Apple closes the window, you can NEVER go to iOS 5.0.1. Even if you have SHSH blobs for that version (they're no good right now for an iPad2 and they may never be). Which means you either stay on an increasingly older 4.3.3 or move to the new Apple firmware, which may or may not ever get jail broken.

Is there a step-by-step for restoring all apps/tweaks to a restored iPad?

If you're talking about a JB iPad on 4.3.3 to a stock one on iOS 5.0.1, the only thing you'll need to do is ensure you have a good backup in iTunes, put the iPad into DFU mode and then shift/restore iOS 5.0.1 onto it using iTunes. Once 5.0.1 is installed, you'll do a restore from backup and all your contacts, mail, apps (stock), music, videos, etc. will go back on. The only thing you'll be missing is the Cydia stuff - which you won't have until the JB is released.

Then, once the JB is released (whenever/if it's released), all you have to do is jailbreak it, visit Cydia and download all your tweaks again. I'd do it manually because of the major move in firmware versions (4.x to 5.x). Of course, YMMV.

Hope some of this helps/reassures. Let us know if you have more questions.

Marilyn

glassheart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iRuthlessPad said:
it only means u didnt understand him...all pod2g is trying to say is he wud have released it if he had it earlier..rite now its just a week's time before the JB is released!

Thats a relief tnx!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts