What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RudyL90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm.. I upgraded my iPad2 to iOS 5.0.1 using the upgrade program in settings. But I see people posting you should download the firmware and upgrade via iTunes using the shift key. Does it really make a difference for an iPad2 Wifi only?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Usually, if your iPad has been jail broken in the past, it's easiest/best to use the "download the firmware and upgrade via iTunes using the shift key" process. The iPad is put into DFU mode beforehand and then the process is started.

If not jailbroken, it's six of one, half dozen of the other. Mainly, people use that method because they find it easier to get the IPSW (the version software) from another source rather than waiting on iTunes to fetch it from Apple's servers - which tend to get hammered at new release time. So, it kinda becomes whatever people prefer...

So, in a nut shell - it really doesn't matter. Except, we've discovered that a jail broken device behaves better if upgraded after being put into DFU mode, hence the shift/restore process.

Hope that clarifies.

Marilyn

dlo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So since this Untethered JB will be out for 5.01 does this mean it will not work for iPad 2's running 5.00?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So since this Untethered JB will be out for 5.01 does this mean it will not work for iPad 2's running 5.00?

That is correct. If a jailbreak is released for iOS 5.0.1, it will not work on iOS 5.0 ... unless the developer of the jail break specifically states otherwise.

Marilyn

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Currently there i no bootrom exploit so u can only B on a specific firmware version...I hope they exploit the bootrom!!

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[h=3]A5 FAQ[/h]

How could pod2g have an untethered 4S and dev teams still haven't released tools to achieve this at home ?

The exploit I used to inject the untethering files to the 4S relies on having a developer account, and can't be released publicly.
It's the same reason why @MuscleNerd has an iPad 2 tethered jailbreak but couldn't distribute it.
So, we need to find a distributable exploit to remount the system partition read/write and to set Corona files at the correct places.

Why A4 version of Corona was easier to release ?

Because a tethered jailbreak is a good way to install Corona!

Why don't you do a tethered jailbreak then ?

A tethered jailbreak also relies on an exploitable vulnerability that we still haven't found yet !

pod2g, release this stuff quick, [your insult here], I've waited enough now.

If I could, I would !

dude

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
it only means u didnt understand him...all pod2g is trying to say is he wud have released it if he had it earlier..rite now its just a week's time before the JB is released!

prodhprod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They have the exploit, on the contrary he wouldnt say its gonna be done in one week. In the last post he is just trying to make us understand how difficult is the process (and raise donations?)

Eshon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear smart mates, i recently found a huge info on the net regarding to what is jailbreak... And I am totally lost, confused... So, I just want to ask you guys to explain with easy understanding (I.e. non-scientific, lol) words of what jailbreak is, what benefits I will have on my iPad 2, 3G after jailbreaking and etc.

Your replies highly welcomed & appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts