What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

holymasteric

iPF Noob
Reaction score
holymasteric said:
Guys, if he was planning on revolutionizing the way cydia organizes the files way back when, then his "hopefully wednesday" still holds.

However, if this is something that he decided to do just now, then it might take much longer, and the "wednesday" would no longer hold

He's apparently been wanting to do this for over a year now. At least that's what he said I'd post the twitlong link but I'm not allowed ^_^

well i meant if he had been meaning to implement it way back when he started working on the jailbreak, or its a recently thing (after he said hopefully wednesday)

Lakerfanalways

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WOW so many great updates..I assume this jailbreak will also work on the WiFi version of the iPad 2..so excited..just hope its released very shortly :)

chelseaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a quick question,

i jailbreaked my iphone 3g a few years ago, but the expereince has put me off even contemplating doing it on my ipad2 or iphone 4.

On my 3g everything slowed right down, starting apps to ages.

Is it still the same now??
is it worth doing?

Lakerfanalways

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WOW so many great updates..I assume this jailbreak will also work on the WiFi version of the iPad 2..so excited..just hope its released very shortly :)

it does, 4.2.1 all the way to 4.3.3 for all devices iPhone 3Gs and onwards

NICE so not only will this jailbreak work on the iPad 2 but it will also work for the iPhone 3Gs..very cool

holymasteric

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a quick question,

i jailbreaked my iphone 3g a few years ago, but the expereince has put me off even contemplating doing it on my ipad2 or iphone 4.

is it worth doing?

a bit off topic, but i hope the moderators wont mind...
the 3G in my opinion was getting too old, its hardware was no longer supporting the new softwares pushed out by Apple, and jailbreaking it probably made it more RAM-consuming so made everything even slower. (it would help if you ran iOS 3 on your 3G instead)

the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 are newer devices, designed to handle much more, so jailbreaking those shouldnt have any problems, unless u pack it with too many customizations like themes from winterboard or other mods and tweaks that are RAM-consuming

chelseaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a quick question,

is it worth doing?

the 3G in my opinion was getting too old, its hardware was no longer supporting the new softwares pushed out by Apple, and jailbreaking it probably made it more RAM-consuming so made everything even slower. (it would help if you ran iOS 3 on your 3G instead)

the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 are newer devices, designed to handle much more, so jailbreaking those shouldnt have any problems, unless u pack it with too many customizations like themes from winterboard or other mods and tweaks that are RAM-consuming

Cheers for the reply,

So hows your iphone 4 then as its jailbroken?
And i notice u havent jailbroken your ipad2

holymasteric

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a quick question,

is it worth doing?

Cheers for the reply,

So hows your iphone 4 then as its jailbroken?
And i notice u havent jailbroken your ipad2

you have lots to catch up on... i'll private message you

Oops

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On Sunday 19th June 2011, @comex said:

If you don't know, the stashing approach jailbreaks have been using for years-- Cydia's "Reorganizing Filesystem"-- involves moving some large directories from the small / partition into the large /var partition, then creating symlinks from the original to the new location. This both ensures that any additional stuff put in those directories by packages will end up in the /var partition, and frees up space on the / partition for files created outside of those directories. However, the process has some issues, like taking forever to do when you jailbreak (I am a bit fanatical about speed), pretty much requiring the jailbreak to reboot the system to ensure there aren't any running applications pointing to the old files (ditto about speed, I want a jailbreak to not even require a respring, as in star, but since star used stashing, some obscure things could cause issues before a reboot), and seriously confusing the sandbox code in the kernel (because each application has a sandbox with a list of allowed filenames, but after the symlink has moved files, the filenames no longer match), requiring that code to be patched (it needs to be patched anyway these days because tweaks have to run under the sandboxes of the applications they're hooking, but depend on accessing various directories; but it still feels good to get rid of a kludge).

With unionfs (which was saurik's idea originally), new files are created in the /var partition, and merged with files in the corresponding directories in the / partition, so no files need to be moved, no descriptors are invalidated, and I think the sandbox code won't notice what happened. It also opens the door for upgrading the base operating system without destroying the jailbreak files (although maybe iOS 5 delta updates will already allow this? I haven't looked at them yet).

I've wanted to do this since literally a year ago (that's the date of the nullfs checkin, since I was dumb and thought I wanted that instead of unionfs), but I never got around to making it work properly.

So, I just hope that I can get rid of the crashes my meddling with unionfs's code have introduced, and fix it for the iPad 2 (my dumped copies of iPad 2 kernels do not include symbols; I wrote a small BinDiff-like tool to copy over symbols from a kernel for another device, but it's not perfect) and that there aren't any performance issues.

-----------------------

Looks like Sunday aint going to be funday... But like the fact that comex is taking the time to fix it for the iPad 2... Worth waiting imo

Sent from my iPad using my fingers

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
holymasteric said:
@comex can u maybe alert everyone as to which iOS version this upcoming release will work on?? (ipad 2 btw) currently mines on 4.3.1.... :)

@J_mac890 4.2.1-4.3.3
@J_mac890 armv7 only for now
One would assume it is safe to update to 4.3.3?

holymasteric

iPF Noob
Reaction score
holymasteric said:
@comex can u maybe alert everyone as to which iOS version this upcoming release will work on?? (ipad 2 btw) currently mines on 4.3.1.... :)

@J_mac890 4.2.1-4.3.3
@J_mac890 armv7 only for now
One would assume it is safe to update to 4.3.3?

There is no harm in staying at low as possible when there is still no jailbreak available, but yes, if you want you could update to 4.3.3 with the assumption that comex's jailbreak will 100% for sure work for 4.3.3

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
holymasteric said:
There is no harm in staying at low as possible when there is still no jailbreak available, but yes, if you want you could update to 4.3.3 with the assumption that comex's jailbreak will 100% for sure work for 4.3.3
Better to be safe and wait for the official release first :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions