What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad 2 now has wireless internet any where for free!!!!!

AaronB.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People have told me for the longest, whats the point of having an iPad if you cant get on the internet anywhere you want. So I looked into to it and I found a solution. I have a HTC hero (sprint) and I looked on the android market for some wifi tether apps and they all said that the phone had to be rooted. So then I went to youtube learned how to root my phone and rooted it successfully. So now I have wifi any where and every where for free by using my phones wifi.

Attachments

• image-1115273326.png
    image-1115273326.png
    452.8 KB · Views: 1,514
OP
AaronB.

AaronB.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AaronB. said:
People have told me for the longest, whats the point of having an iPad if you cant get on the internet anywhere you want. So I looked into to it and I found a solution. I have a HTC hero (sprint) and I looked on the android market for some wifi tether apps and they all said that the phone had to be rooted. So then I went to youtube learned how to root my phone and rooted it successfully. So now I have wifi any where and every where for free by using my phones wifi.

BTW it is a 16g iPad 2 wifi (only)

scotland66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can do it quite normally with the iPhone tethered to iPad. Or even better if you know your gonna need internet everywhere, buy a model with 3G and wifi :)

ashley69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AaronB. said:

I don't understand this.
Wouldn't you still need a free wifi hotspot for this to work ?
I thought all iPads had wifi anyway. I might be wrong (probably)
Sorry for asking but I am not well up on all this tethering via your mobile.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ashley69 think of the cell phone acting as a modem allowing the iPad to have internet access wherever you are, as long as you have cellular service that is. There are apps that allow your phone to essentially become a wifi hotspot; so then you fire up your iPad, locate the wifi signal your phone is broadcasting and choose that one to connect to and your surfing the internet. It's nothing new though; there have been apps available for a long time now allowing you to do this. If you have an iPhone it will need to be jailbroken and then get MyWi or PDA Net (there may be others as well). One thing you have to be careful with (especially if you are with AT&T) they are looking for folks doing this and if you are caught you get the option to stop doing it or if you continue they will add tethering to your plan which I believe is about $60 a month. Also if you are grandfathered with unlimited data on your iPhone I believe when they add the tethering you lose it as your plan is being changed. So be careful when doing this.

OP
AaronB.

AaronB.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scotland66 said:
You can do it quite normally with the iPhone tethered to iPad. Or even better if you know your gonna need internet everywhere, buy a model with 3G and wifi :)

When you say buy a 3g model Im assuming that you are talking about a 3g iPad. First received an iPad 2 as a gift. I had no say in which model I wanted to choose. Second if you haven't notice I clearly said that I have an HTC hero with sprint. An Android based phone. No one said anything about tethering with an iPhone because if I had an iPhone I would have done so with ease. Lastly, Why would I pay a monthly fee with the 3 cell phone carriers for some stupid plan when I can clearly once again, tether my phone to it for FREE!!!!!! I digress.

OP
AaronB.

AaronB.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ashley69 said:
I don't understand this.
Wouldn't you still need a free wifi hotspot for this to work ?
I thought all iPads had wifi anyway. I might be wrong (probably)
Sorry for asking but I am not well up on all this tethering via your mobile.

Okay. All Ipads have wifi. Some ipads have wifi and 3g but you have to pay monthly. iPads that have wifi can only get wifi when they are near a hotspot. I hacked my phone and made it into a wireless hotspot for free. P.S. Tethering is receiving wifi from a mobile device such as a cell phone.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So now I have wifi any where and every where for free by using my phones wifi.

Only until you get the bill for the data traffic from your phone provider just like the lady in Florida whose son racked up US$250,000 on a trip to Canada!

OP
AaronB.

AaronB.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
K1W1 said:
Only until you get the bill for the data traffic from your phone provider just like the lady in Florida whose son racked up US$250,000 on a trip to Canada!

Sorry I get unlimited data with sprint

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem with that is they live in the U.S. and her son (I think it was actually her two brothers who are deaf) were visiting Canada so it falls in line with international roaming. They were surfing the net, email, text messages and the biggest issue was streaming content of some sort. They did reduce the bill but I think it was still in the $2,500 range.

An Android based phone. No one said anything about tethering with an iPhone because if I had an iPhone I would have done so with ease. Lastly, Why would I pay a monthly fee with the 3 cell phone carriers for some stupid plan when I can clearly once again, tether my phone to it for FREE!!!!!!
Regardless if it's an android or iphone tethering has been going on for a long time now and it's nothing new. Not sure which carrier you're with but if they catch you tethering, you may see an increase in your bill. They offer tethering plans for this specific purpose; the way they look at it is you hacked your phone to get around the charges and they consider it stealing service so just be careful when doing this.

I have unlimited data with AT&T on my iPhone as well (grandfathered) and I'm not supposed to tether. I know it's silly, I have unlimited data so I should be able to use it however I want (any data package for that matter), but they view tethering differently... probably because they can milk you for some more money.

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

In fact you don't. Sprint will cut you off or charge you if they determine you are "abusing" the network. Furthermore, unless you are paying for tethering that, too, is a violation of your service agreement. And carriers, including Sprint, have begun to look closely at major changes in use patterns on individual accounts to identify precisely that behavior.

Last edited:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In fact you don't. Sprint will cut you off or charge you if the determine you are "abusing" the network. Furthermore, unless you are paying for tethering that, too, is a violation of your service agreement. And carriers, including Sprint, have begun to look closely at major changes in use patterns on individual accounts to identify precisely that behavior.

I have heard this to be 100% true. I would be very careful if I were you.

Arcsylver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sprint charges $29.99 to add wifi hotspot to any phone that supports it. If you get caught using your phone without the additional fee on your plan they reserve the right to disconnect your service without notice for violating your contract agreement.

I have recebtly been researching this very subject heavily trying to find out how to use my phone as a hotspot and Sprint is rather particular about people abusing the unlimited data on phones without getting their extra money for the "privilege"

Trumpet444

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been tethering with my Moto Droid 1 for almost two years and havent been dropped yet. Usually people that get into trouble are the ones that spend all day on Netflix or something stupid like that. I keep it simple though, no heavy surfing. I tether to my laptop, nook, or ipad 1. Even though I have an unlimited plan I usually always stay under 5gb a month so I'm never red flagged and there is no way in heck that I'm going to pay $30 extra a month to use the same data I already pay for but on a larger screen

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trumpet444 said:
Been tethering with my Moto Droid 1 for almost two years and havent been dropped yet. Usually people that get into trouble are the ones that spend all day on Netflix or something stupid like that. I keep it simple though, no heavy surfing. I tether to my laptop, nook, or ipad 1. Even though I have an unlimited plan I usually always stay under 5gb a month so I'm never red flagged and there is no way in heck that I'm going to pay $30 extra a month to use the same data I already pay for but on a larger screen

Same here on my T-Mobile account. As long as I don't abuse it, it's free.

Most reactions