What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any iPad programmers willing to take on an Android to iPad tether project?

gedansky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an HTC EVO Shift 4g Android (Sprint). For anyone who knows, Android can be hit or miss when it comes to rooting (Jailbreaking) and the EVO Shift, though a good phone, is the least rootable of virtually all the Android phones.

There are several apps, Easy Tether Light being one of them, that lets you WiFi or USB tether by installing an app on your phone and a "token" on your laptop or desktop running Windows, MAC OSX, and LINUX.

With tablets seemingly surpassing laptops as the mobile desktop of choice, why aren't there any apps like this to allow the iPad to do intenet tethering with an Android phone? Due to sheer volume. There are an awful lot of Android phones out there, and an awful lot of iPads. It seems like they could make peace and help each other. I know for certain, with all the unique apps and drivers available for my jailbroken iPad, that creating a token that allows simple WiFI, BlueTooth, if not USB tethering to an Android devices internet connection, should be relatively easy for anyone who knows how and, again, there are plenty of apps to use as reference.

I can gaurentee this would sell like hot cakes on the Android Market, App Brain, and Cydia.

Is there anyone out there willing to take this on?

Is anyone with me in supporting their efforts?

Thanks!

Drak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hrmm, I have a Samsung Galaxy S II and am able to tether my iPad 2 with no issues, don't even need an app to do it, just turn on WiFi hotspot on the phone, your saying the HTC EVO doesn't have WiFi hotspot ?

OP
G

gedansky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't believe I left this part out... Sprint charges $30 per month to use their wifi hotspot. I paid this for months but it got cost prohibitive, especially since I don't stream or download anything.

If I was rooted, I could use any number of free hotspot programs and bypass Sprint to tether for free. But, again, no root options for EVO Shift running 2.3.3, so, back to the app/token concept, which I'm sure would work if someone would just write it.

Thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts