What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi or BlueTooth Tethering to Android without Rooting?

gedansky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad and was happily using freetether with my Palm Pre on Sprint. It was recently replaced for me with an HTC EVO, which I thought was great, until I realized that Gingerbread 2.3.3, which the EVO came with, cannot be rooted on the Shift. In fact, the Shift has, for whatever reason, proven to be a VERY difficult phone to root (not sure why one would be harder than any other).

All I want is to do WiFi tethering on the road, without it costing me $30 a month just to do basic email/internet (I don't stream audio or video or download movies etc.), I don't always/often have the convenience of a WiFi hotspot.

I know there is a program called Pdanet, that puts an app on the Android device, and one on a PC, allowing for un-rooted, free WiFi tethering. But, this does not work with the iPad. Is there anything for the iPad that allows this for either WiFi or BlueTooth? I have no other need to be rooted, and I don't expect to be able to root any time soon. At this rate, Sprint will have the iPhone and I can just switch and jailbreak it. But, in the mean time, my iPad usage is crippled.

Thanks!

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Either you have to root and do it out of contract or you have to pony up the extra dough and do it legally.

garanth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my htc gingerbread phone (Desire HD) as a wifi hotspot for my IPAD when out and about. Just go to Settings>wireless and networks on your phone and turn on Portable wifi hotspot. Then click on Portable wifi hotspot settings to get/set password.

On your ipad just go into settings app and under networks, your phone hotspot will appear on the list of available networks. Select it, enter the password above and hey presto, you now have wifi tethering.

(you might want to check with your provider that you are not contravening thier terms and conditions).

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts