What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad 2 now has wireless internet any where for free!!!!!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been tethering with my Moto Droid 1 for almost two years and havent been dropped yet. Usually people that get into trouble are the ones that spend all day on Netflix or something stupid like that. I keep it simple though, no heavy surfing. I tether to my laptop, nook, or ipad 1. Even though I have an unlimited plan I usually always stay under 5gb a month so I'm never red flagged and there is no way in heck that I'm going to pay $30 extra a month to use the same data I already pay for but on a larger screen

I certainly share your frustration with regard to data plans on various devices. Any you are undoubtedly correct that if your usage patterns remain consistent once you tether your iPad to a smartphone, you are unlikely to generate attention from your carrier. But those who go that route should keep a couple of points in mind. First, the TOS you signed puts the power to define "abuse" of the network completely in the hands of your carrier. They determine "abuse" and you have no recourse other than to pay an additional fee or take the carrier to court. (Hint: They have more attorneys than you do.)

Second, there is a strong likelihood that you will use more data services when you tether to an iPad or computer than by using your cell phone alone. Although you may simply replace use of one device for the other, it's more likely that you will surf more, download more streaming content, etc. when you have a device that displays the content in a more attractive and accessible manner.

Bottom line is that if you don't increase your use of the cell carrier's network significantly after tethering your iPad, you're unlikely to attract the attention of your carrier. But if you DO attract their attention, the carrier holds all the cards.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I remember reading they have set levels and if you go over the levels it raises a red flag they start paying attention to your account. I think for AT&T one user posted it was 2-4 GB's which is a ton of data... at least for me it is (I don't think I've ever gone over 750MB's). Given most folks were using laptops so I think they could tell that it wasn't mobile browsing that was occurring, now sure how it would show up when using an iPad. I have my devices set up with the ability to tether but to be honest I only tried it to see if it worked and have never touched it since; just haven't had the need.

ashley69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wookiee2cu said:
ashley69 think of the cell phone acting as a modem allowing the iPad to have internet access wherever you are, as long as you have cellular service that is. There are apps that allow your phone to essentially become a wifi hotspot; so then you fire up your iPad, locate the wifi signal your phone is broadcasting and choose that one to connect to and your surfing the internet. It's nothing new though; there have been apps available for a long time now allowing you to do this. If you have an iPhone it will need to be jailbroken and then get MyWi or PDA Net (there may be others as well). One thing you have to be careful with (especially if you are with AT&T) they are looking for folks doing this and if you are caught you get the option to stop doing it or if you continue they will add tethering to your plan which I believe is about $60 a month. Also if you are grandfathered with unlimited data on your iPhone I believe when they add the tethering you lose it as your plan is being changed. So be careful when doing this.

Thanks Wookie2cu.
I am now beginning to understand it more.
I say this has sparked a lively debate.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So then I went to youtube learned how to root my phone and rooted it successfully. So now I have wifi any where and every where for free by using my phones wifi.

Free? Isn't Sprint's unlimited plan $100/month? Just because you got out of paying for a 2nd plan doesn't mean the data is free! The 2nd car I bought (after my Vega died) was $100 a month. I didn't consider it free everytime I gave someone a ride. :)

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He means without paying for a second plan, so yes in effect free.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMO not being able to use your data that you are paying for is a crime. Who cares how you get there as long as you don't pass your cap.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
He means without paying for a second plan, so yes in effect free.

He's not getting something for nothing, as he's still paying for the data, just on a different device. I've got several devices running off my home wi-fi router, but I don't think of it as if I'm only paying for my desktops's connection, but my iPads and laptop are getting free service; no sensible person does.

Last edited:

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
epb said:
He's not getting something for nothing, as he's still paying for the data, just on a different device. I've got several devices running off my home wi-fi router, but I don't think of it as if I'm only paying for my desktops's connection, but my iPads and laptop are getting free service; no sensible person does.

You are missing the point here. His other alternative is to pay for another line of service. Of course he's not getting the first line of service for free, however he is saving the cost of the second service contract. Time to move on here.

OP
AaronB.

AaronB.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
epb said:
Free? Isn't Sprint's unlimited plan $100/month? Just because you got out of paying for a 2nd plan doesn't mean the data is free! The 2nd car I bought (after my Vega died) was $100 a month. I didn't consider it free everytime I gave someone a ride. :)

Actually the sprint family plan I am on is 70$ a month for unlimited everything.

MG53771

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Ipad2 and an iphone using Verizon 3G and would like to get WIFI anywhere what would I need to do?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the personal hotspot feature on your iPhone is active,you can turn it on and tether to your iPad.

wholesalestunna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can do this but AT&T charges like 25 bucks a month extra for it. Still cheaper than buying a 3G iPad with a data plan though.

mmlover4970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would cost you $25 if you had the 3G iPad anyway to access cellular. This way (tether) you didn't have to pay 129 upgrade for 3G iPad.

wholesalestunna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mmlover4970 said:
It would cost you $25 if you had the 3G iPad anyway to access cellular. This way (tether) you didn't have to pay 129 upgrade for 3G iPad.

Yeah and it raises the data limit to 5GB too.... I wish they didn't have the data cap :(

altimax98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As long as your not crazy with it you'll be fine. I've been tethering to my devices on Verizon LTE for a long time. Ive used up to 20gb in a month playing xbox live though my HTC Thunderbolt. I've never been flagged before. If you don't tether like 24/7 you'll be fine. Plus the old way of telling if your tethering doesn't work so well anymore. With the devices becoming faster and faster with each version it's hard to tell phone usage from something bigger like a tablet.

Now hook your laptop to it and watch Netflix and you'll be flagged quickly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most reactions

Latest posts