What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad initial set up after unboxing-is it dead?PLEASE HELP

OP
M

mr848

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iipad initial set up after unboxing-is it dead?PLEASE HELP

mr848, I have been reading your saga, and my heart goes out to you. I did some research on the Apple support site and see several things that might help.

iTunes: How to remove and reinstall the Apple Mobile Device Service on Mac OS X

It's worth a try before you have to book a flight to NYC. With flight delays and cancels due to the volcano, you need something to pass the time.

Good luck!

Fairoasis@

Really appreciate your tips and advices-i have just tried removing the apple mobile device service as per the instructions in the link you have provided.

i then reinstalled the itunes from the apple link and i m still unlucky-the same usb facing on the itunes icon (ipad screen)

They only thing i didnt try yet is to charge the ipad for many hours-seems though to be fully charged -i am out of solutionssssss

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
There is one more thing, its kinda stupid, but did you check the 30pin connector (where you plug in the cable) and blow it clean with some compressed air! There could just be some lint stuck!

That would be crazy if it was!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I guess we tried every thing. Looks like DOA. I have run out of ideas. Other than plug it into an entirley different computer At the moment it does not look good. I can understand your frustration best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fairoasis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I guess we tried every thing. Looks like DOA. I have run out of ideas. Other than plug it into an entirley different computer At the moment it does not look good. I can understand your frustration best of luck.

I for one would do that next. Find a friend with iTunes on another computer and see if it connects there. At least you can narrow it down. Wishing you continued luck.

OP
M

mr848

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I for one would do that next. Find a friend with iTunes on another computer and see if it connects there. At least you can narrow it down. Wishing you continued luck.

Dear all

After several days trying to initiate my ipad for the first time, i still can not do anything-i have followed all your valuable advices but even if that the ipad is still in DFU mode.i have tried my misses laptop(mac book) i did there all the adjustments and still no light

Yesterday i decided to call apple technical support in the US.After having spent more that one hour, basically doing from the beginning your advices, they told me that i have to go to the us to any apple store and ask for a replacement-seems ipad is faulty

I have booked my flight to new york for the 28th of april and i will flying then-gods willing thou(volcano eruption and ash cloud)-today some flights started to take off from the uk so fingers cross i am going to the us next week

I will keep you posted with my return with any news

I am glad that i have made some ipads friends here and i promise i will try to be around and contribute to this valuable forum

Thank you very much particulary to Max, Colin, fairoasis and all the lads that replied to my problem

Regards from the north east of England

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Its been a long run funny I laugh Have been doing support for Apple since 1982 I must admit this is the first time have done International support with USA Australia involved and the user is in Britain Time shift is all over the place When he is asleep we are awake the USA is 18 hours behind lol Well we tried Max has fantastic knowledge its a pleasure to work with him to resolve issues Best of luck and please please test the ipad before you leave the Apple Store

Cheers Colin

OP
M

mr848

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To all those who have helped me

Guys, i have just returned back to the uk from the states. My IPad was faulty, the Genius Bar expert tried once to initiate it and he gave me straight a brand new one-Ipad was dead and that was the second ipad that he had with the same problem

Many thanks to everyone for the time and support

New York was awesome!!!!

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To all those who have helped me

Guys, i have just returned back to the uk from the states. My IPad was faulty, the Genius Bar expert tried once to initiate it and he gave me straight a brand new one-Ipad was dead and that was the second ipad that he had with the same problem

Many thanks to everyone for the time and support

New York was awesome!!!!

I'll bet that you now own the most expensive iPad ever. Glad it's finally resolved!

Mitten

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow! I was very impressed with all the assistance offered to try to correct Mr848's problem. Nice to know that there are such thoughtful members on this forum...just in case I need help.

alucardho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there all,

I am in the same situation and I really appreciate that u guys are trying to help! I tried the method and below and really thank Max as I am able to get the iPad in restore mode.
However, I face another problem. iTunes have problem trying to download the restore firmware from the internet. I have downloaded a copy from the link Max provided, but Im using windows vista. How do I choose the file I downloaded instead of having it trying to download by default?

Thanks alot guys!

Ok, lets try DFU mode (its close to the above restore but a little different)

Make absolutely sure that you have iTunes 9.1 installed by clicking on About iTunes in the topmenu!

1.Start with downloading the firmware for the iPad

iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

Youll find it on the bottom list. Download and leave on desktop, if the file is still in .zip format just rename it (or delete the .zip part) so it ends with .ipsw! (Should look like a piece of white lego)

2.Plug in the iPad and wait for the "ping" noise

3.Hold the topbutton and the home button for exactly 10 seconds.
On the dot of 10 seconds release the top button, but keep holding the home button.

Hold it until (and this is where it will hopefully work out for ya) itunes tells you it found an iPad in restore mode.

Timing is of the essence so it might take you a couple of runs to get it right, you'll know when you got it as the ipad screen should turn black and itunes will inform you that it found the iPad and that you need to restore as previously mentioned.

4.Now, hold down Option and click on restore, a pop up menu should appear, find the previously downloaded firmware and choose it.

Let us know how it works out!

Most reactions