What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad initial set up after unboxing-is it dead?PLEASE HELP

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lets wait and see how Max's plan goes so we dont confuse things I think Max and also other Moderators and members trying to assist will agree. As I said it can also be a corrupt itunes causing it

OP
M

mr848

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still downloading firmware

almost 500mb is!!

a big thanks to the whole team as colin says

OP
M

mr848

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still downloading firmware

almost 500mb is!!

a big thanks to the whole team as colin says

Max, Colin and the team

There is no communication with the itunes whatsoever

As mentioned before-there is no ping at all

How i started: ipad off, plug it to mac book and then apple icon came up on the ipad screen, waited for the ping but nothing-i skipped the ping step, followed max following steps but nothingggg--itunes doesnt want to appear

Oh my godddd

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
The ping (or ding) means that your mac found the hardware and is charging, "Talking" to it!

You necessarly dont need to hear the ping, just plug it in and go from point number 3!

Keep it up buddy! We'll figure it out eventually! Did you make sure you have iTunes 9.1?

Max

Ok, lets try DFU mode (its close to the above restore but a little different)

1.Start with downloading the firmware for the iPad

iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

Youll find it on the bottom list. Download and leave on desktop, if the file is still in .zip format just rename it (or delete the .zip part) so it ends with .ipsw! (Should look like a piece of white lego)

2.Plug in the iPad and wait for the "ping" noise

3.Hold the topbutton and the home button for exactly 10 seconds.
On the dot of 10 seconds release the top button, but keep holding the home button.

Hold it until (and this is where it will hopefully work out for ya) itunes tells you it found an iPad in restore mode.

Timing is of the essence so it might take you a couple of runs to get it right, you'll know when you got it as the ipad screen should turn black and itunes will inform you that it found the iPad and that you need to restore as previously mentioned.

4.Now, hold down Option and click on restore, a pop up menu should appear, find the previously downloaded firmware and choose it.

Let us know how it works out!

MAx

While firmware is downloaded just to ask you about the "ping" that you have mentioned-i had never heard a ping when i was plugging the ipad to the computer-is that bad?the only ping i heard was when i tried to charge it with the official charger(not in the computer)

OP
M

mr848

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Max

I ll try to think positive

yes indeed I have iTunes 9.1 (79)

how long does it take for iTunes to pop up and tell me that ipad is in restore mode?( while I'm holding the home button)

cheers one more time

The ping (or ding) means that your mac found the hardware and is charging, "Talking" to it!

You necessarly dont need to hear the ping, just plug it in and go from point number 3!

Keep it up buddy! We'll figure it out eventually! Did you make sure you have iTunes 9.1?

Max

iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

Youll find it on the bottom list. Download and leave on desktop, if the file is still in .zip format just rename it (or delete the .zip part) so it ends with .ipsw! (Should look like a piece of white lego)

2.Plug in the iPad and wait for the "ping" noise

3.Hold the topbutton and the home button for exactly 10 seconds.
On the dot of 10 seconds release the top button, but keep holding the home button.

Hold it until (and this is where it will hopefully work out for ya) itunes tells you it found an iPad in restore mode.

Timing is of the essence so it might take you a couple of runs to get it right, you'll know when you got it as the ipad screen should turn black and itunes will inform you that it found the iPad and that you need to restore as previously mentioned.

4.Now, hold down Option and click on restore, a pop up menu should appear, find the previously downloaded firmware and choose it.

Let us know how it works out!

MAx

While firmware is downloaded just to ask you about the "ping" that you have mentioned-i had never heard a ping when i was plugging the ipad to the computer-is that bad?the only ping i heard was when i tried to charge it with the official charger(not in the computer)

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
I was pondering for a second if you had a different iTunes 9.1 since the iPad is yet to be released over there and I made some calls to Europe to find out and its all the same soup.
You must have iTunes 9.1 installed for it to work!
Go to apple.com and download it straight from the source rather than going through software update etc!

There might be a problem with the iTunes Helper and/or the mobiledevice file that came with yer itunes install. we'll get to that later once we confirmed the version you have installed..

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with max. So not to confuse the issue if all else fails he could do a restore of mac os in case something is corrupt in system etc causing issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nodnarb901

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there. Been lurking here for a while saw this thread and didn't read something in it yet that may work. Have you tried switching cables? I think you said you have an iPhone also try using that one.

I know it seems obvious, but sometimes when were frustrated we overlook the simple things,

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
Naah, good thinking about the cables, but it doesnt matter. Ive used both.

And asfar as restoring the Mac OS, its not really necessary. All we need to do is a complete removal of itunes and reinstall...

Gonna head out from work now, but ill check back in later on. Isnt it naptime in Britain now anyway?? :)

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
he has gone to sleep its 3 am in england now Hopefully get it sorted You could be right but it is extremely rare with Apples connectors cheers colin Down under

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Naah, good thinking about the cables, but it doesnt matter. Ive used both.

And asfar as restoring the Mac OS, its not really necessary. All we need to do is a complete removal of itunes and reinstall...

Gonna head out from work now, but ill check back in later on. Isnt it naptime in Britain now anyway?? :)

He is asleep lol He sent private message to say given up going to bed back tomorrow his time. I agree with you Max remove all of itunes including preferences and reinstall and try again.

Regard OS install we had a user here that could not up date itunes He tried every thing finally a clean install of OSx fixed it

Some times hard to do remote support like this :D

OP
M

mr848

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Sorry but i fall asleep yesterday and couldnt reply any posts

Its almost 9am in britain, volcanic ash is around still, got my coffee and i am ready to try one more time.

I did try Max's approach and unfortunately nothing again- no ping, no ding, it doesnt recognize it at all-i went to step 3 while holding home button (wait for 2-3 min) nothing-ipad screen is becoming black but itunes dont come up whatsoever with the restore mode(no communication).

Some further info:
1)i have changed cables, as one of our friends here suggested, nothing, changed usd ports, nothing. and then i plugged the iphone(for curiosity) itunes came up perfectly-what does that mean?

2)since i bought the ipad and unboxed it, battery seems to be 100% charged-how is that possible since i am trying all these days to set it up?i would expect at least battery to go down a bit because of the use

3)Itunes completely removal-how can i do that? as i mentioned i do have 9.1 (79) version

4)i personally believe that the symptoms show that ipad is faulty-or the firmware(OS) doesnt work properly

5) Is there any other way i could set it up for first time without itunes?it could be other way-i remember my lady did activate or if you prefer initiate or set up, an iphone 3gs without itunes and it was blackrain and iphone came on perfectly(she likes hacking etc)

Thats all guys

I will be here around

Most reactions

Latest posts