What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad initial set up after unboxing-is it dead?PLEASE HELP

clc3251

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make sure you have the latest itunes

I had the same problem when I bought my Ipad. I thought I had the latest Itunes, but there was an upgrade available. My version is 9.1.0.79. Go into itunes and click "help" then "about itunes" and see if you have the latest version.

OP
M

mr848

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will walk you through a restore iof iTunes I suspect it's corrupt. Give me 30 minutes ok please let me know what version iTunes and mac os you are using

I have attachements in this post(beginning) with both my mac and itunes version

mac boo pro( 10.6.3)-2 months old
itunes 9.1

thanks colin

OP
M

mr848

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem when I bought my Ipad. I thought I had the latest Itunes, but there was an upgrade available. My version is 9.1.0.79. Go into itunes and click "help" then "about itunes" and see if you have the latest version.

thanks clc

i have itunes version 9.1 (79)-its says exactly that

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh you are on a mac, sometimes you don't get the latest iTunes thru iTunes have you tired updating with system update?

clc3251

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good Luck

Resetting and updating worked for me. I am out of suggestions if you have the same version I do, and already did the other things mentioned in the thread. For what it's worth, mine did the same thing when I bought it, and eventually unstuck itself. I hope you resolve it.

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
Ok, lets try DFU mode (its close to the above restore but a little different)

Make absolutely sure that you have iTunes 9.1 installed by clicking on About iTunes in the topmenu!

1.Start with downloading the firmware for the iPad

iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

Youll find it on the bottom list. Download and leave on desktop, if the file is still in .zip format just rename it (or delete the .zip part) so it ends with .ipsw! (Should look like a piece of white lego)

2.Plug in the iPad and wait for the "ping" noise

3.Hold the topbutton and the home button for exactly 10 seconds.
On the dot of 10 seconds release the top button, but keep holding the home button.

Hold it until (and this is where it will hopefully work out for ya) itunes tells you it found an iPad in restore mode.

Timing is of the essence so it might take you a couple of runs to get it right, you'll know when you got it as the ipad screen should turn black and itunes will inform you that it found the iPad and that you need to restore as previously mentioned.

4.Now, hold down Option and click on restore, a pop up menu should appear, find the previously downloaded firmware and choose it.

Let us know how it works out!

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Funny max we both think alike some other member had similar problem we were able to fix it by a restore of mac os let's see how he goes with this one that you suggested

OP
M

mr848

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Youll find it on the bottom list. Download and leave on desktop, if the file is still in .zip format just rename it (or delete the .zip part) so it ends with .ipsw! (Should look like a piece of white lego)

On the dot of 10 seconds release the top button, but keep holding the home button.

Hold it until (and this is where it will hopefully work out for ya) itunes tells you it found an iPad in restore mode.

Timing is of the essence so it might take you a couple of runs to get it right, you'll know when you got it as the ipad screen should turn black and itunes will inform you that it found the iPad and that you need to restore as previously mentioned.

4.Now, hold down Option and click on restore, a pop up menu should appear, find the previously downloaded firmware and choose it.

MAX

I will try now your guidelines

Colin i am here waiting for you if you can

I can give a phone call as well

I am here with all you guys

Really appreciate your helpppp

OP
M

mr848

iPF Noob
Reaction score

MAx

While firmware is downloaded just to ask you about the "ping" that you have mentioned-i had never heard a ping when i was plugging the ipad to the computer-is that bad?the only ping i heard was when i tried to charge it with the official charger(not in the computer)

Most reactions