What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In recovery mode loop after upgrade to 8.1.

Jane Allison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried upgrading to 8.1 on my ipad 3 and now I'm stuck in recovery mode where I see the little itunes icon and a picture of the usb cable. I tried several third party software things and tried upgrading through itunes, but it tells me my ipad can't be upgraded and I have to click restore. Of course, you know the rest. I did not back it up. Stupid.

Anyway, is there any way to get around this? Reiboot and several others will get it to exit recovery mode, but it goes right back into it. If I DO restore, is there some way to recover my lost photos afterwards?

Thanks!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You won't get it out of recovery mode, as soon as rebooting doesn't help. There's no other way to solve this than restore your device.

I'm afraid your photos will be lost, if you didn't backup your device.

If you sent some of them via email, you'll be able to find these again afterwards, and save them to the Photos app, though.

OP
J

Jane Allison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ugh! That's a bummer. How about afterwards. Is there any recovery software that would work to get my photos back?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few that claim to be able to do what you need, but I don't know if they really work. When you search for "photo recovery software, iPad" you'll get a few results.

Most reactions