What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad-4 will it get more slimmer ?

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a native North American and I too don't understand "the weight of a box of smarties".

Sorry about that, I just happened to have been munching on some smarties
I suppose I could have used the idiom - 'hill of beans', Or more precisely the difference in weight would be about a tablespoonful of beans.

Actually you guys seem to have already got it - I am glad to see everyone agreed so quickly, but there was just too many words and much time spent complaining about something so insignificant. So many 'issues' that just are not issues to anyone with more than a 1/4 brain. It's almost like some people just 'get off' on complaining so they make up this fantasy universe where those small changes are really significant issues.

Texas Holders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was looking forward to your comment :eek: Glad you chipped in ! For a moment it came even to my mind as well, after investing in the Retina Display of iPad and at such a massive level would Apple abandon it so easily. But the only turn off for Apple Customers worldwide would be if they were to not include Retina Display in iPad-4 but that ain't gonna happen !! So even if it is a Retina Display achieved by using IGZO Why do you think they would not adopt it ? That will make the iPad much much slimmer from what I know...

By the way what is SSD ?

Solid state drive, it's a type of hard drive. Traditional hard drives don't like to be moved while in operation, so it would be impossible to use them in an iPad. You would have hard drive failures all the time. SSDs are more expensive per GB of storage by quite a lot, but definitely worth it in a tablet.

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@Seadog

You didn't comment anything on if the iPad-4 is likely going to get any slimmer from the iPad-3 ? :)

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@Seadog

You didn't comment anything on if the iPad-4 is likely going to get any slimmer from the iPad-3 ? :)

I speak on behalf of Seadog... However I am sure he will respond. Only Apple knows about the next generation iPad what ever it will called so asking about it being slimmer is really a non event as no one knows it is that simple.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I'm pretty sure if they could've gotten the resolution they achieved on the current iPad with ISP LED, they would've gone with the IGZO or OLEM. They would be less expensive to produce. However, I suspect in order to achieve that resolution they would've had to go thicker again, just like they had to do with ISP, so go with a known instead of an unknown.

Last edited:

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From previous conversations, August, I think you are trying to find a reason not to purchase, at least not right now. The best reason though is that it is expensive.

I have owned just about every model of PC chipset available in the last 25 years and it can be frustrating knowing that on launch day the next generation has been in the design phase for months if not longer but that is how progressive tech works. When the 4 comes out you will be right back here worried about what the 5 will be like.

The real thing to worry about with new tech is how long do you have before it is more or less obsolete by mainstream standards. When will 35 percent or more of the apps start running to slow on the first gen to be acceptable? 3 more years, 4 more years, longer? Right now we don't know and only time will tell. Anyone buying one is either hoping for it to be a nice long time or is comfortable upgrading. You are not the latter so the real question is can you take a leap of faith? Only you can decide.

I didn't buy a 3 because of the new features, which are really nice, I bought it to upgrade my first gen. My wife and I decided to own 2 iPads and after buying a 2 I knew I could not be happy with how heavy the first gen was anymore.

I think the 3 is the plateau for now. They will introduce newer models but I think the changes will be less significant or have a less universal appeal for a few years. For instance they may improve the gaming experience but my favorite games are pretty simple so that would not really speak to me.

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From previous conversations, August, I think you are trying to find a reason not to purchase, at least not right now. The best reason though is that it is expensive.

Wrong infact I am looking out for a reason to buy !! And I am hoping that I dont come across a reason which will stop me from buying it. Hence wanna be very sure that it is a defect free product.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith. Worst-case scenario is you get a couple of returns and then throw in the towel. At least you had a good test-drive.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
augustya said:
Wrong infact I am looking out for a reason to buy !! And I am hoping that I dont come across a reason which will stop me from buying it. Hence wanna be very sure that it is a defect free product.

There are NO defect free products outside of pure mathematics.
The reasonable person will look for an acceptable defect count. This is the way it's done at NASA, airlines and medical tech industry. Are you saying that you have higher standards requirements than them?

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
augustya said:

The posts I have read of yours say otherwise. You have been told the same thing in many different ways but you are still harping on defects a very small number of people have experienced.

Unless you live somewhere where you cannot take advantage of Apple's return or exchange policy if you really wanted to try one you just would but I don't think you will because you don't want to spend the money.

Bottom line I don't think you should buy one. I have known a lot of people like you and you will not be happy with it because of the money involved. I am not judging you or attempting to belittle you because a lot of people have trouble with extravagant purchases. If we were all the same life would be boring.

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The posts I have read of yours say otherwise. You have been told the same thing in many different ways but you are still harping on defects a very small number of people have experienced..

Defects If you go through this particular thread carefully I have not spoken about any Defect on this thread, Yes on my earlier Thread Yes, I have. So you brought up this topic again. Again a defect is a defect Minor/Major whatever with me or with anybody else.

Unless you live somewhere where you cannot take advantage of Apple's return or exchange policy if you really wanted to try one you just would but I don't think you will because you don't want to spend the money. ..

lol ! You are so confidently saying that I dont have the money, as if I asked you to lend me some money to buy the new iPad !

Bottom line I don't think you should buy one. I have known a lot of people like you and you will not be happy with it because of the money involved. I am not judging you or attempting to belittle you because a lot of people have trouble with extravagant purchases. If we were all the same life would be boring.

Please leave that decision to me and I shall take a decision which suits best my interest.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for being crude here but I guess people are saying " Sh*t or get off the pot,"

Just an observation. Sometimes you can just over analyze things, which is what he was saying.

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry for being crude here but I guess people are saying " Sh*t or get off the pot,"

Just an observation. Sometimes you can just over analyze things, which is what he was saying.

You say sorry in the beginning lol ! But you still go ahead and say whatever you wanna say lol ! Nice Trick !

Most reactions

Latest posts