What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad-4 will it get more slimmer ?

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seadog said:
It has been my experience that when Apple commits to technology, they will stick to it. They do not like to over reach technology because there is more chances of error. With the current screen, they have a known product, that will only improve with continued production. They devoted a lot of effort into getting this ready for the 3rd generation iPad. Now they will want to focus on other areas for the next model. From what I have read, under normal circumstances, they would be moving the storage capacities to 32 Gb, 64 Gb, and 128 Gb. However, they are losing part of their profit on the new screens, so they decided to hold off until next year. They keep their prices consistent by using the trend of electronic to progress quickly. They know that processors and hard drives are going to get faster, bigger, and cheaper with time. With the right timing, they can continue to improve the product, without a price increase.

That makes a lot of sense.

Everyone has a personal buying threshold -- a mix of features, price and personal preferences that go into any decision to buy a product. I upgraded from the original iPad to the new iPad because Apple put together a product that had enough of what I was looking for that made it worthwhile for me to upgrade. I'm happy with my decision and my new iPad. I doubt I'll upgrade again for a couple of years at least, but you never know.

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You have been answered on the SSD issue, so I will address the retina display. Since they came out with the retina display on the iPhone, the public has been clamoring for it on the iPad. From what I have read, Apple went to their screen manufacturers and challenged them to find the best option for a retina display, and they probably had a team of Apple engineers working with them. When it came time to make the decision, they decided the failure rate on the IGZO displays was too high. You will note that two of the manufacturers that Apple uses, could not managed to get retina IPS screens with the required quality into full production until after the introduction of the iPad. That is 3 million screens that only one company managed to build for Apple. If they made $1 on each screen, that is $3 million that their competitors could not share in, and the loss of status in the world when their failure became known. Until they are fully confident that the IGZO screens are a better product, and as reliable, they will not approve them

It has been my experience that when Apple commits to technology, they will stick to it. They do not like to over reach technology because there is more chances of error. With the current screen, they have a known product, that will only improve with continued production. They devoted a lot of effort into getting this ready for the 3rd generation iPad. Now they will want to focus on other areas for the next model. From what I have read, under normal circumstances, they would be moving the storage capacities to 32 Gb, 64 Gb, and 128 Gb. However, they are losing part of their profit on the new screens, so they decided to hold off until next year. They keep their prices consistent by using the trend of electronic to progress quickly. They know that processors and hard drives are going to get faster, bigger, and cheaper with time. With the right timing, they can continue to improve the product, without a price increase.

One more point noting here is Not necessarily only if the Display Technology changes will Apple make the iPad-4 lighter. I would like to mention here the Example of iPad-1 and iPad-2. iPad-2 very much used the same Display Technology and same everything like iPad-1 but still was drastically lighter and Thinner than the iPad-1 So...It can be possible even with the Current Display is what I feel.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
augustya said:
One more point noting here is Not necessarily only if the Display Technology changes will Apple make the iPad-4 lighter. I would like to mention here the Example of iPad-1 and iPad-2. iPad-2 very much used the same Display Technology and same everything like iPad-1 but still was drastically lighter and Thinner than the iPad-1 So...It can be possible even with the Current Display is what I feel.

Well there you go. Wait until next year and see if they shave a few ounces off the unit. In the meantime the millions of us that own one will continue to marvel about how thin and light it is for all it does while using it comfortably for hours at a time.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
augustya said:

It's already been mentioned that what makes up 80% of the bulk of the device and if a new miracle battery technology comes out that can be made as thin and as light as a sheet of paper while holding the same charge then yes a lot of devices will get thinner and lighter.

Don't hold your breath until that happens.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An imaginary iPad is the lightest of them all. Just keep holding off on buying one and no worries about weight, lol.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If in March 2012 Apple annouces they will release a 128GB iPad....man...that will be hard for me to ignore, espeically if it is the same price at a 64GB version is now. I think that is the key. And I have bought several SSDs in the range of 64 to 128GB that are around $100. Another year might make it feasible.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zphone said:
It's already been mentioned that what makes up 80% of the bulk of the device and if a new miracle battery technology comes out that can be made as thin and as light as a sheet of paper while holding the same charge then yes a lot of devices will get thinner and lighter.

Don't hold your breath until that happens.

Right. They will probably find a way to make it slightly more efficient and perhaps they will introduce some more power saving options but I doubt we will see another ipad 1 to ipad 2 level reduction. It is already revolutionary.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
If in March 2012 Apple annouces they will release a 128GB iPad....man...that will be hard for me to ignore, espeically if it is the same price at a 64GB version is now. I think that is the key. And I have bought several SSDs in the range of 64 to 128GB that are around $100. Another year might make it feasible.

But the 128 gb will be 2 grams heavier!!! The Horror!!!

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wish it gets back to the weight of iPad-2. Seriously ! :rolleyes:

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
augustya said:
I wish it gets back to the weight of iPad-2. Seriously ! :rolleyes:

Right. Because all the threads about people getting hand cramps and getting fatigued are bothering me too.

But hey, you found your reason not to buy one so you should be relieved. Next year if the trim the weight back a little can I suggest you speculate about how the 5 might offer more colors for something to nitpick about?

I am off to the gym so I can bulk up to better handle the enormous weight of the new ipad.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I seem to recall that there was a significant increase in screen breakage between the original and the iPad 2 due to reductions in the shell thickness. Much less than competitors, but part of a trade-off. They have actually increased the thickness very slightly on the new iPad as I understand it. The weight is nothing compared to the value of the product.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am off to the gym so I can bulk up to better handle the enormous weight of the new ipad.

Lol. I cross-train -- use devices of different weights. iPhone, touch, Samsung Galaxy Note, Kindle Fire, iPad 1 and 2. I'm ready for the gadget Olympics!

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, and true story about the weight increase... It took my wife and I 4 days to realize the 3 was heavier and it happened when I was holding one in each hand. I hadn't realized the 3 was thicker until today when I read an article about it.

This is why it is safe for me to buy these while ill-advised for you. If you did buy one you will go looking for problems and probably find ones that bother practically no one else. You have convinced yourself it is heavy so you will always be uncomfortable holding one.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the treadmill now trying to work off 55 grams. Dang didn't even make it to the end of the sentence and I was done already. ;)

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
People....People why a genuine requirement is often misunderstood as being negatively judgemental !

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts