What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 5 rumored to be significantly lighter and slimmer

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
iPadmini.110202.004.JPG

With the launch of the iPad mini well behind us, it’s high time that Apple fans would start concentrating on something else. Like the next full-fledged iPad. New information coming from the direction of KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who wrote a note to investors this week, sheds some light on the features the next generation device is going to sport.

According to Kuo, the most significant improvement we’re going to notice in the new tablet is its incredible light weight and narrow waist. He also mentions that the tablet will come featuring the edge-to-edge design we have already seen in the iPad mini.

Kuo also put a partial date on the release of the next generation iPad, forecasting that Apple might end up launching the gadget on the market somewhere in the third quarter of 2013. This prediction is a little different from other rumors we have been seeing around, which state that the iPad 5 will show its head in March, following the trend imposed by the iPad 4.

The analyst went on to describe the new iPad by adding that the tablet will probably sport a Retina Display with a screen resolution of 2048x1536, in the same vein as the previous one.

Kuo has been known for his accurate predictions. For example, last year, he indicated that the next generation iPad will be launched at the end of 2012. Many people thought the prediction was bogus, because Apple just released its latest version of the iPad in March. Nevertheless, they were proven wrong when Cupertino dropped the iPad 4 on the market in October.

Source: AppleInsider

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Edge to edge isn't a positive thing, IMO. I like having a little dead space with which to hold the device and such. That's what I didn't like about the mini when I handled it, my thumbs were too close to the screen edge. Not all of us bought into the mini and I don't need them to make the big iPad more like the little iPad. Losing a little weight is fine but even then, I prefer a solid feeling device with some meat on its bones. I don't want to feel like I'm holding a piece of thick construction paper. I want to feel like I'm holding a robust iPad.

I'm getting tired of the race to make everything small and wimpy. We shall see.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Edge to edge isn't a positive thing, IMO. I like having a little dead space with which to hold the device and such. That's what I didn't like about the mini when I handled it, my thumbs were too close to the screen edge. Not all of us bought into the mini and I don't need them to make the big iPad more like the little iPad. Losing a little weight is fine but even then, I prefer a solid feeling device with some meat on its bones. I don't want to feel like I'm holding a piece of thick construction paper. I want to feel like I'm holding a robust iPad.

I don't know what edge-to-edge even means, as the mini's screen is not edge-to-edge. Also, I don't think there is even the slightest worry about any future 10-inch-ish tablet being anything like construction paper. I'd bet it will just fall into line with the weight of most of the other similarly sized tablets...and they have plenty of heft. The weight of the 3 and 4 increased relative to the 2, when in an ideal world, it would have gotten lighter. These things are no where near paper-like and there is indeed a lot of room for a lighter device.

mannyberrios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
s2mikey said:

Agree

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I figure if something is light and small, users can add their choice of cases and beef things up, but a user can't make a heavy, bulky device lighter and sleeker.

I just received my iPod touch 5. Very light and slippery, so I'll stick with my touch 4 till my touch 5 cases arrive. The bare 5 actually cramps my hand to hold for long, because it's thin and slippery, so I have to grasp it harder.

What I don't especially like is a device that's thin and curved, because it's harder to seat in a dock and plug. I don't like the lightning plug either, because there's less of it to grasp and it doesn't feel as secure as the 30-pin plug, but oh well.

joenissan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My guess going by apples past, is that the new ipad will be out around the same time the new iPhone will come out later this summer/fall. It'll probably be designed like the iPad mini withe flat back and beveled edges. The mini will get the newer processor and retina display. We'll have to wait and see.....as always!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I don't know what edge-to-edge even means, as the mini's screen is not edge-to-edge. Also, I don't think there is even the slightest worry about any future 10-inch-ish tablet being anything like construction paper. I'd bet it will just fall into line with the weight of most of the other similarly sized tablets...and they have plenty of heft. The weight of the 3 and 4 increased relative to the 2, when in an ideal world, it would have gotten lighter. These things are no where near paper-like and there is indeed a lot of room for a lighter device.

Edge to edge probably wasn't the best way to say it. There is less dead space along the edge of the device on the mini versus the full size iPad from what I gathered. It won't matter to some but could to others. I just like a little more heft in my tablet. The construction paper reference was an exaggerated analogy, figured y'all pick up on that. ;)

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't care how thin it is, but lighter makes it easier to carry around. It might keep my shoulder from getting sore. I try to use a really light pocketbook and not carry too much but iPad and phone,keys and wallet can really add up.

Bobbi

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IMHO the lightning adaptor should replace all the stinking USB plugs in all there assorted shapes!!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Edge to edge probably wasn't the best way to say it. There is less dead space along the edge of the device on the mini versus the full size iPad from what I gathered. It won't matter to some but could to others. I just like a little more heft in my tablet. The construction paper reference was an exaggerated analogy, figured y'all pick up on that. ;)

It's a matter of degree, but IMO there is plenty of room for less weight before usability will be impacted. We are in no danger of having an iPad that is too light...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IMHO the lightning adaptor should replace all the stinking USB plugs in all there assorted shapes!!

I agree. It won't happen those because everyone would have to pay apple. Lighting, as a connector, beats most of computer connectors I have used.

Doctor Hades

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an iPad 4 on the last day of 2012 and while I love it even I have to admit that it is a bit too heavy for comfortable use in one hand. If Apple can shave off a quarter or even third of its weight to make it easier to hold in one hand, for reading magazines and books for example, whilst avoiding making the iPad feel too light and plasticky then, I for one, would be happy. True, you get used to the weight of the iPad 4 and the heft and aluminium back does give it a quality feel missing from other tablets but there's no getting around the fact that it is heavy. I was actually quite surprised by how heavy it was actually having never used or held an iPad before.

Most reactions

Latest posts