What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 a big let down plus iPad 4 wish list

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
And it's been mentioned before, show us a tablet that can compete or come close to competing with the iPad then we'll agree with you. iPad is on a planet of it,s own. Currently, your expectations are well above it's station. Either like it or lump it, there isn't any thing else. If Apple is a disapointment then that really doesn't say much for its competition. Tablets obviously aren't ready for you yet.

scotland66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Agreed. I guess they felt the larger size would be for next year. But zillions of people claim that 16GB is plenty. I am not among them.

Also agreed! I think the new iPad is amazing, the iPad 2 was also amazing!!! I could never go to android after using my iPad, the only think I would wish for is an sd slot.

Texcoonazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wish list for iPad 4- please don't come out next year, I just got the iPad 3.

+1 here

This thing is fantastic. Only way I could see improving is larger memory capacity. But the cost associated with the next step up in memory might not be worth it to me.

OP
I

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I didn't express my thoughts properly in the opening post. What I am saying is that Apple thought, let's get a new iPad out even if it is hardly any different from the current one (at the time iPad 2), at least noticeably, as people will buy it anyway. Let's just put out some spin (marketing) and then sucker people in. Even the stock market has come to expect a yearly cycle of iPad. So, Apple will get a new iPad out even if the aren't considerable enhancements on existing model and then, like I say, sucker people in through marketing gimmick. Come on, let's face it, how many of you saw those iPad 2 vs iPad 3 photo captures and bought their new iPad on seeing those, even though most would probably hardly use their iPad for photos.

Sorry to be so blunt and make it sound as if other people were stupid to buy it, but I wasn't convinced of the new iPad at all. The only reason why I considered upgrading was because the resale value of iPad 2 was still very good.

Last edited:

backudog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wish list for iPad 4- please don't come out next year, I just got the iPad 3.

Damn straight! my ipad 3 arrives tommorrow (i hope) and i would hate to see a new one appear after only a year! let app/game developers get the best they can out of the current tech b4 u release a new beast out into the wild!

Deniselynn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't express my thoughts properly in the opening post. What I am saying is that Apple thought, let's get a new iPad out even if it is hardly any different from the current one (at the time iPad 2), at least noticeably, as people will buy it anyway. Let's just put out some spin (marketing) and then sucker people in. Even the stock market has come to expect a yearly cycle of iPad. So, Apple will get a new iPad out even if the aren't considerable enhancements on existing model and then, like I say, sucker people in through marketing gimmick. Come on, let's face it, how many of you saw those iPad 2 vs iPad 3 photo captures and bought their new iPad on seeing those, even though most would probably hardly use their iPad for photos.

Sorry to be so blunt and make it sound as if other people were stupid to buy it, but I wasn't convinced of the new iPad at all. The only reason why I considered upgrading was because the resale value of iPad 2 was still very good.

Different strokes for different folks. The majority of people who bought the "new" iPad were people who didn't have an iPad. There are many people who love their new iPads and say the resolution is outstanding. Again, I have yet to see any Android tablet that rivals the iPad. Not to mention the Android tablets are not cheap. If I can get my hands on a $350 iPad 2 16gb, you can bet your sweet booty I will be buying one versus an Android tablet.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Let me get this straight. Apple suckered buyers into buying an iPad (3rd Gen) because they offered the best display for any tablet ever made to date, a quad-core GPU to power it for any 3D application you can imagine and a proper LTE radio. All of this while keeping the price the same as the last generation and not affect the battery life enough to worry about?

Who are you trying to convince here? Yourself that the iPad 3 isn't worth it because you can't afford it?

Your argument doesn't fly with the number of units already sold and still being ordered. The iPad (3rd Gen) is selling on its merit of offering solid value for its capabilities.

BTW, anyone that says the iPad 2 screen is comparable to the iPad (3rd Gen) is one of three types of person.

1) Liar.
2) Needs glasses.
3) Legally blind.

Because the screen are night and day difference even at 4 feet from anyone that has 20/20 vision.

Dennykrane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad987 said:
As most of you know, iPad 3 was a big let down with very minor upgrades that are often not noticeable against the iPad 2. You can tell people doing comparison videos on YouTube are not enthused about it. I have seen speed tests, for example, where web pages take the same time to load as the iPad 2. Other speed tests have also about the same. A better screen maybe, but again, most people can't really tell the difference when viewing video. The only difference is really better photo clarity.

I have been so disappointed that I couldnt be bothered to sell my iPad 2. I am simply not enthused about the new iPad. Having said that, whatever Apple comes out with will no doubt get a loads of people flocking to the stores to buy it.
Anyway, here is a wish list for iPad 4.

* fast processor where you can actually tell the difference
* higher resolution screen
* better battery life, although the current battery life is very good
* lighter than iPad 2 - would like to see it come down to 1 pound
* thinner or that's at least the same thickness as iPad 2
* maybe new design, although actual in-device performance enhancements will suffice

Hi
I'd like to be able to arrange the icons to where I want them, not in uniform rows....if you've got a great wallpaper it's obliterated unless you move everything onto multiple screens

OP
I

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Let me get this straight. Apple suckered buyers into buying an iPad (3rd Gen) because they offered the best display for any tablet ever made to date, a quad-core GPU to power it for any 3D application you can imagine and a proper LTE radio. All of this while keeping the price the same as the last generation and not affect the battery life enough to worry about?

Who are you trying to convince here? Yourself that the iPad 3 isn't worth it because you can't afford it?

Your argument doesn't fly with the number of units already sold and still being ordered. The iPad (3rd Gen) is selling on its merit of offering solid value for its capabilities.

BTW, anyone that says the iPad 2 screen is comparable to the iPad (3rd Gen) is one of three types of person.

1) Liar.
2) Needs glasses.
3) Legally blind.

Because the screen are night and day difference even at 4 feet from anyone that has 20/20 vision.

Herd mentality. It's just like people use to upgrade or buy the latest Windows and MS Office until Windows and Office lost their oomph or wow factor. People no longer upgrade them so readily because older versions suffice.

OP
I

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score

1) Liar.
2) Needs glasses.
3) Legally blind.

Herd mentality. It's just like people use to upgrade or buy the latest Windows and MS Office until Windows and Office lost their oomph or wow factor. People no longer upgrade them so readily because older versions suffice.

Also, if you look at comparison videos of iPad 2 and 3 on YouTube, it seems to me the ones that are really positive about the new iPad are major gadget sites whereas individual users haven't really been won over. Makes me wonder if Apple has a strong relationship with these major sites and readily complement Apple's products.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I gave my iPad 2 to my mom and went to their house this weekend, took a look at it to see what she put on it so far and I truly felt like I needed glasses looking at the screen. Once you have used the new iPad for some amount of time the difference is so amazing. Just going to the apple store and looking does not even close to doing it just. Also take a 4g version and go sit in the park and tell me that's not great. Don't knock it till you've tried it. Also discussion on issues and products is all well and good but saying that "the iPad 3 was a big let down as we all know" was very ignorant. Seems you are in the minority on this one.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Herd mentality

Right. Go look at a video comparison of an iPad 2 and iPad 3 on youtube...where the resolution is too low to show the benefits of the new screen on anything but the new iPad. Right. Herd.

If you don't like looking at PDFs of articles from journals or magazines, or looking at high resolution photos, or browsing using 4G, then skip the iPad 3. Just get the 2 or get an Android and wait for the next version of Android to make it work right. Herd. Droids.

Droid Herd.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Also, if you look at comparison videos of iPad 2 and 3 on YouTube, it seems to me the ones that are really positive about the new iPad are major gadget sites whereas individual users haven't really been won over. Makes me wonder if Apple has a strong relationship with these major sites and readily complement Apple's products.

Your logic is BEYOND flawed.

Gadget sites DON'T BUY millions of iPads. Individual people on the other hand do. At best gadget sites reach LESS THAN 50% of the buying market. And I am being generous with 50%.

It is a shame we will never know how many iPad (3rd Gen) owners never owned an iPad or upgraded from a previous model. Because your herd statement just smacks of "I can't afford it so I will justify the device as not worth it so I feel better about myself".

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, the icons arrangements are limited. You can put icons on different pages to reduce the number, or you can make folders to reduce the number on the home screen. That does not allow for placement, but does allow you to view more of your home screedn. But what is the purpose. The idea is that the iPad is a small screen for portability. The screen is not meant to be a high visibility focal point.

As for Apple not doing enough with the new iPad, please take a lesson in reality before you choke on your foot. The original iPad was a huge leap of faith by Apple. There was enough of a positive reaction, that Apple could justify some big steps with the iPad 2. However, there is little that can be done past the iPad 2 that will be as dramatic. What Apples does is plan these versions years in advance. The upgrades depend on all proposed components to be available in time for mass production. The big demand was for retina style screens, even tho the old screen was excellent. Apple had two choices, get four times the pixels in the same type of screen, or go with IGZO technology. Until the very last minute, Apple had them building prototypes for testing. In the final analysis, the IGZO screen proven to be not ready for prime time, so the nod was given to the improved old technology. This had a cost in material cost, power demand and size. Even so, Apple did a great job in keeping as close as possible to the iPad 2 dimensions. And because of the added material cost, Apple had to decide whether to keep the old sizes of SSDs, or to increase the prices of the new iPad. I think they made the right choice. 4G, A5X, are all upgrades. Being "disappointed " because they made good advances in a quality product, says more about you than about Apple.

OP
I

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lot of people read reviews on gadgets sites and watch their video reviews too and often have their minds decided upon reading these reviews. I have a job that pays well and have no problem affording the iPad if I wanted. Besides, I can sell my iPad 32g and get a good price which would require only a relatively small top up in cash. Someone saying there is a huge difference in quality of screen. Well, in what? Is it video, web pages?

Most reactions

Latest posts