What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 7 - first impressions

scepticnw10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't lose files with the reset I suggested. I answered your reply to my iCloud post, because I had chosen the wrong terms. I'll repeat: in Restriction - Accounts, check mark "Allow Changes".

Great -thanks JA. Icloud is now working in settings!! :)

If you don't think there is much of a risk I will try reset and see what's happens.... Fingers crossed.

I'm now feeling more positive about the Forum because it has already solved one of my problems. :). Thanks

scepticnw10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't lose files with the reset I suggested. I answered your reply to my iCloud post, because I had chosen the wrong terms. I'll repeat: in Restriction - Accounts, check mark "Allow Changes".

Even better JA. Not only is my iCloud now working but all my backed up documents from Numbers and Pages are listed there and when I opened both apps they have all come flooding back!!

Thats really helpful and effective advice. Just what I needed. I think this may resolve ALL my outstanding problems with iOS7! one thing which seems to have happened with the upgrade is that I seem to have more free storage now. I only have a 16GB memory ipad2 and have been having to juggle apps removing one whenever I find a new one I want.

I have been hoping that iMatch for music may enable me to put more music in the cloud to make space. If iOS7 is able to help here this would be really useful.

Thanks for your help JA and the archangel. You have one Forum newbie with a very positive experience of using the Forums.... I'm sure I'll be active again and maybe try and help others with suggestions where I can.

::>

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is hard reset please.
A hard reset is where you simultaneously press the home and power buttons until the Apple loco appears on screen, then releasing both buttons. The iPad will restart on it's own.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great -thanks JA. Icloud is now working in settings!! :) If you don't think there is much of a risk I will try reset and see what's happens.... Fingers crossed. I'm now feeling more positive about the Forum because it has already solved one of my problems. :). Thanks
Even better JA. Not only is my iCloud now working but all my backed up documents from Numbers and Pages are listed there and when I opened both apps they have all come flooding back!! Thats really helpful and effective advice. Just what I needed. I think this may resolve ALL my outstanding problems with iOS7! one thing which seems to have happened with the upgrade is that I seem to have more free storage now. I only have a 16GB memory ipad2 and have been having to juggle apps removing one whenever I find a new one I want. I have been hoping that iMatch for music may enable me to put more music in the cloud to make space. If iOS7 is able to help here this would be really useful. Thanks for your help JA and the archangel. You have one Forum newbie with a very positive experience of using the Forums.... I'm sure I'll be active again and maybe try and help others with suggestions where I can. ::>

That's great news! Glad to help.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A hard reset is where you simultaneously press the home and power buttons until the Apple loco appears on screen, then releasing both buttons. The iPad will restart on it's own.
I do not know if this is fact or my opinion but- holding the sleep and home button is a soft reset. Because it's the minimal intrusion into the system. A hard reset is through settings, reset, "reset all settings" and "erase all content and settings" because these affect more of the system. Myself, any issues I've encountered typically get resolves with the first one, if not have definitely been resolved by the second. Ive never had a issue get resolved by the first one that cannot get resolved by the second first. Im not picking for an argument, just want to point out their are the different types of resets as options for folks. Just an example: i had a iPhone 3GS that always functioned well. On a random morning where i did nothing different my battery started discharging rapidly. I mean several dozen times more than normal. It went from full charge to 20% or so in a couple hours with almost no use. I did the sleep/ home button reset with no change at all. Skeptical,(about not loosing important data) i did the "reset all settings" and that brought the phone back to normal.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do not know if this is fact or my opinion but- holding the sleep and home button is a soft reset. Because it's the minimal intrusion into the system. A hard reset is through settings, reset, "reset all settings" and "erase all content and settings" because these affect more of the system. Myself, any issues I've encountered typically get resolves with the first one, if not have definitely been resolved by the second. Ive never had a issue get resolved by the first one that cannot get resolved by the second first. Im not picking for an argument, just want to point out their are the different types of resets as options for folks. Just an example: i had a iPhone 3GS that always functioned well. On a random morning where i did nothing different my battery started discharging rapidly. I mean several dozen times more than normal. It went from full charge to 20% or so in a couple hours with almost no use. I did the sleep/ home button reset with no change at all. Skeptical,(about not loosing important data) i did the "reset all settings" and that brought the phone back to normal.
The term Hard Reset is normally used on these forums to describe the procedure I mentioned in my previous post. What you describe is known as Reset All Settings.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Additional information:
In general, a "soft reset" means holding the Power button until "Slide to power off" appears. (Turn off device). You'll find the term "hard reset" for the procedure scifan explained on most websites in the internet.

HardMetalAlchemy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I've always wondered why people here call it a hard reset when it is actually a soft reset

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Soft reset is a power off by the slider.

Hard reset is the power and home button held at the same time.

The difference is very simple. The soft reset does not clear any files saved durning a normal shutdown, which allows the startup to have certain presets loaded. The hard reset deletes all those files and does a clean reboot with only system based preferences loaded.

Whether people like the name convention or not is immaterial. Mainly because the names have been used for the last six years. So they are considered "in stone" at present.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The soft reset does not clear any files saved durning a normal shutdown, which allows the startup to have certain presets loaded.
In fact a soft reset just puts the operating system to sleep, ready for a quick restart - hence the name of the sleep button. The hard reset restarts the entire operating system, takes far longer than a normal restart, but does ensure that spurious errors are not carried forward into the new session of use.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In fact a soft reset just puts the operating system to sleep, ready for a quick restart - hence the name of the sleep button. The hard reset restarts the entire operating system, takes far longer than a normal restart, but does ensure that spurious errors are not carried forward into the new session of use.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Nope. Soft reset requires you to hold the Standby Button for 5 seconds and then use the "slide to power off" control that shows at the top of the screen in red.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just simply use the terms "restart" and "reset" defined by the Apple Guide manual.

There is no mention of the term "soft" or "hard" when discussing the term reset in this manner.

“Restart or reset iPad
If something isn’t working right, try restarting iPad, forcing an app to quit, or resetting iPad.

Restart iPad. Hold down the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears. Slide your finger across the slider to turn off iPad. To turn iPad back on, hold down the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.
iPad may be low on power. Connect iPad to the USB power adapter to charge. See Charge and monitor the battery.

Force an app to quit. Hold down the Sleep/Wake button on top of iPad for a few seconds until a red slider appears, then hold down the Home button until the app closes.
If you can’t turn off iPad or if the problem contin“continues, you may need to reset iPad. Do this only if you’re unable to restart iPad.

Reset iPad. Hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
You can reset the word dictionary, network settings, home screen layout, and location warnings. You can also erase all of your content and settings.”

Excerpt From: Inc, Apple. “iPad User Guide For iOS 7.” Apple Inc., 2013. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewBook?id=709634245

Excerpt From: Inc, Apple. “iPad User Guide For iOS 7.” Apple Inc., 2013. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewBook?id=709634245

Last edited:

LasJayhawk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just did the update via itunes on my mini. First things I noticed:

I went from 4.9 Gb free to 6.2 !
There is a hitch when i pinch close an app repainting the icons, maybe 0.1 second, just enough to make it look a little jerky

but i did notice this in safari:
IMG_0048[1].PNG

see how the print icon is sheared off. It's the same in portrait or landscape.

Most reactions

Latest posts