What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Devices Do You Think Will Get iOS 7?

iLoner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I speculate that the following devices will be compatible with iOS 7:

* iPad 2

* iPad 3

* iPad 4

* iPad Mini

* iPhone 4S

* iPhone 5

* iPod Touch 5th Generation

* iPod Touch 4th Generation

I don't imagine that the iPhone 4 will be compatible, and the 3GS will definitely be dropped. Some are worried about the iPad 2, but to update the Mini, a device with almost identical specifications, and drop the iPad 2 would be a very bad move on Apple's part, especially as it's still being officially sold.

Anyone disagree with my list?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. I think iOS 7 will be limited to those devices that are compatible with Siri. Look forward to a version of iOS 6 that is optimized for the iPad 2, then no further development in this direction. Apart from that, I think you are spot on.

Of course, I could be wrong. The iPad 2 is still a current model, so it could get a cutdown version of iOS 7 without the Siri parts, but if this happens, I would expect the iPhone 4 to get the same treatment.

Sent from my stock iPad 2

OP
iLoner

iLoner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. I think iOS 7 will be limited to those devices that are compatible with Siri. Look forward to a version of iOS 6 that is optimized for the iPad 2, then no further development in this direction. Apart from that, I think you are spot on.

Of course, I could be wrong. The iPad 2 is still a current model, so it could get a cutdown version of iOS 7 without the Siri parts, but if this happens, I would expect the iPhone 4 to get the same treatment.

I think that the iPad 2 will get a limited version of iOS 7. For Apple to sell it as a current model and then drop it while it's still being sold officially, would be very immoral in my opinion.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that the iPad 2 will be discontinued later this year and will be replaced as the entry level iPad by the original iPad mini. The iPad 2 may get an abridged version of iOS 7, with no further iOS updates.

OP
iLoner

iLoner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that the iPad 2 will be discontinued later this year and will be replaced as the entry level iPad by the original iPad mini. The iPad 2 may get an abridged version of iOS 7, with no further iOS updates.

I don't quite agree. I tend to think of the mini as being in a separate category to the full-sized iPads.

My insistence that the iPad 2 will get iOS 7 may just be wishful thinking on my part, though. After all, the first generation iPad was discontinued after two years, so this may well become a pattern. If it is discontinued, I will downgrade to 6.1.2 and jailbreak the device.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be one way to go, but the last version of iOS, whether it's this year or next year, is likely to be the optimized version, so it should be good either way. I'll probably semi retire my iPad 2 and keep it for mapping, and buy another one for all of the other goodies, though.

One thing that sets the original iPad apart is the amount of RAM. It may not set a precedent. The 2 could be quite capable of running iOS 7.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would wonder about the iPad 2, it only has 512 MB RAM. This may become an issue with iOS 7, but the mini has the same limitation, so maybe not.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If the 2 doesn't get it or gets a stripped down version then so be it. My iPad 2 has been a rock for me and I still expect to be using it for many, many years. Honestly, the latest OS works just fine and although I'm sure I'd miss a few features it does seem that recent updates tend to benefit the newer devices more and more. That's OK.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think all idevices should have it. Wait, they're making iOS 7?!

-Samana

Rest assured that Apple is certainly working on iOS 7 as we speak. From what I understand it's at a fairly advanced stage.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If the 2 doesn't get it or gets a stripped down version then so be it. My iPad 2 has been a rock for me and I still expect to be using it for many, many years. Honestly, the latest OS works just fine and although I'm sure I'd miss a few features it does seem that recent updates tend to benefit the newer devices more and more. That's OK.

History is sometimes not an indicator of future behavior but....Apple did stop supporting the original iPad when the "new" iPad (3) was released. The iPad2 was already limited (some consider it significant) by Apple when Siri was not included with the upgrade to iOS6. Therefore (a shaky conclusion), Apple may not offer iOS7 to iPad2. I hope I am wrong.

OP
iLoner

iLoner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
History is sometimes not an indicator of future behavior but....Apple did stop supporting the original iPad when the "new" iPad (3) was released. The iPad2 was already limited (some consider it significant) by Apple when Siri was not included with the upgrade to iOS6. Therefore (a shaky conclusion), Apple may not offer iOS7 to iPad2. I hope I am wrong.

Apple are still selling the iPad 2 on their online store right now, so I highly doubt that they'll drop support for a product in their official lineup.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple are still selling the iPad 2 on their online store right now, so I highly doubt that they'll drop support for a product in their official lineup.

They may have to stop selling in US in a little over 50 days (the suit with Samsung) along with the iPhone 4 and earlier too

OP
iLoner

iLoner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They may have to stop selling in US in a little over 50 days (the suit with Samsung) along with the iPhone 4 and earlier too

They may still be able to sell the Wi-Fi only version, and besides, I don't see this lawsuit having any effect on the availability of iOS 7. If an iPad 2 version is in the works, it'll have been started before the lawsuit, and the 3G iPad 2 will still be available in other countries.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know that this thread was intended to ask about which devices might get iOS 7...but, I saw some rendering of it last night. I'm not sure about the way it "might" look with the white and black theme. The removal of gloss finish to the apps to make it look more "flat" is to me somewhat boring and reminds me of what I had on my droid phone. I hope it doesn't look so drab like the rumors are suggesting it to be.

Most reactions

Latest posts