What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ios 6 jailbreak to ios 7 jailbreak

vicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently on ipad 4 ios6 jailbreak. I want to update to ios 7 jailbreak. Do i have to go via dfu mode to update ios first (as told in stick thread) and then jailbreak or there is some alternative way too? Will it be a clean install? That i would loose all my apps that are installed on ipad? And i think host files are not ok on my computer. I messed with them smetime back.. Do i reset them with tinyumbrella before updating?

I read that cydia has been updated. Do i need to wait for mobilesubtrate update too or is it for only newer models?

Pardon my ignorance
Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently on ipad 4 ios6 jailbreak. I want to update to ios 7 jailbreak. Do i have to go via dfu mode to update ios first (as told in stick thread) and then jailbreak or there is some alternative way too? Will it be a clean install? That i would loose all my apps that are installed on ipad? And i think host files are not ok on my computer. I messed with them smetime back.. Do i reset them with tinyumbrella before updating?

I read that cydia has been updated. Do i need to wait for mobilesubtrate update too or is it for only newer models?

Pardon my ignorance
Thanks

Yes, you need to put your iPad into DFU mode so you can upgrade it to iOS 7.0.4. There is no alternative way.

You won't lose any of your apps if you (1) make a backup in iTunes first and then, when prompted by iTunes, (2) restore from that backup. Your iPad will the same as it was ... except it'll be on iOS 7.0.4.

If you develop issues with your host files, come back and let us know, but I think you'll be okay.

Then, once iOS 7.0.4 is on your iPad, you can jail break it using the evasi0n7 tool. It's very easy to use, just make sure to follow the instructions beforehand and follow the prompts during.

Lastly, yes Cydia has been updated for iOS 7. However, MobileSubstrate has not. Therefore, most tweaks (that require MS) don't work as they should, though some do. I understand the tweaks don't work at all with the iPad Air, but some with with older generations.

So, you don't have to wait. Just know that a majority of the tweaks have not been updated on iOS 7 and therefore may not work properly or at all.

Marilyn

OP
V

vicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you need to put your iPad into DFU mode so you can upgrade it to iOS 7.0.4. There is no alternative way.

You won't lose any of your apps if you (1) make a backup in iTunes first and then, when prompted by iTunes, (2) restore from that backup. Your iPad will the same as it was ... except it'll be on iOS 7.0.4.

If you develop issues with your host files, come back and let us know, but I think you'll be okay.

Then, once iOS 7.0.4 is on your iPad, you can jail break it using the evasi0n7 tool. It's very easy to use, just make sure to follow the instructions beforehand and follow the prompts during.

Lastly, yes Cydia has been updated for iOS 7. However, MobileSubstrate has not. Therefore, most tweaks (that require MS) don't work as they should, though some do. I understand the tweaks don't work at all with the iPad Air, but some with with older generations.

So, you don't have to wait. Just know that a majority of the tweaks have not been updated on iOS 7 and therefore may not work properly or at all.

Marilyn

Thanks a lot. will be updating tomorrow.. I hope all goes well

OP
V

vicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Done with jailbreak. All went well. Installed swipeselection and hiddensettings7. Both work correctly. Do we have a thread here about what tweaks or apps are workig. I want to know about activator, sbsettings, mxtube

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Activator is still a WIP, but many of the issues have been ironed out with the latest release in the past 24 hours, which fixed the statusBar gestures that were not working properly if there was no physical statusBar (not an underlay) in the app such as Tapatalk.

SBSettings is partially working, but Ryan Petrich has released FlipControlCenter, which gives you quite a few more toggles that you can add to your control center. SBSettings' power, option, dock and respring are either not working or working on and off (unreliable).

MxTube hasn't been updated, but I use Protube from the AppStore, which does the same. Or, YoutubeToMp3 from Cydia, and using Bridge will get that into my Apple library.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...lmNXhCbWNQc0J1amt1N0Rkanc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

OP
V

vicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Activator is still a WIP, but many of the issues have been ironed out with the latest release in the past 24 hours, which fixed the statusBar gestures that were not working properly if there was no physical statusBar (not an underlay) in the app such as Tapatalk.

SBSettings is partially working, but Ryan Petrich has released FlipControlCenter, which gives you quite a few more toggles that you can add to your control center. SBSettings' power, option, dock and respring are either not working or working on and off (unreliable).

MxTube hasn't been updated, but I use Protube from the AppStore, which does the same. Or, YoutubeToMp3 from Cydia, and using Bridge will get that into my Apple library.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...lmNXhCbWNQc0J1amt1N0Rkanc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Flipcontrolcenter didn't work for me.. When i install it.. It also installs activator.. When i click activator it hangs and then minimises.. I didn't see any new settings anywhere else. Am i doing anything wrong?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Open up Settings.app and look for FlipControlCenter. If you're not seeing it there, then you have to reinstall MobileSubstrate. Once you're in there, a list of toggles is available for you to sort through. The little 3 dash stacked column allows you to move the toggles up and down. Further up means close to the first slide of toggles, lower means farther back, or, you can disable some toggles. You can now slide the toggle portion to access more toggles with FCC

OP
V

vicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Open up Settings.app and look for FlipControlCenter. If you're not seeing it there, then you have to reinstall MobileSubstrate. Once you're in there, a list of toggles is available for you to sort through. The little 3 dash stacked column allows you to move the toggles up and down. Further up means close to the first slide of toggles, lower means farther back, or, you can disable some toggles. You can now slide the toggle portion to access more toggles with FCC

Thanks. Reinstalling mobilesubtrate did the trick

Any tweak to display date in status bar?

OP
V

vicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FakeCarrier should be what you're looking for.

It only shows fake carrier. Other options are grayed out and there is no option to add date to status bar.. I know it can be done with sbsettings but i dont want to use that.. Anythink else i can do?

OP
V

vicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Datecarrier does the job. But i am looking for something that adds date without removing carrier name.. Just like sbsettings does

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Woops sorry, was thinking something carrier but it slipped my tongue.

The date on statusBar doesn't work with SBSettings at the moment. There aren't any outstanding tweaks that pops off my mind other than DateCarrier and SBSettings, and one of them does not work as of yet.

OP
V

vicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Woops sorry, was thinking something carrier but it slipped my tongue.

The date on statusBar doesn't work with SBSettings at the moment. There aren't any outstanding tweaks that pops off my mind other than DateCarrier and SBSettings, and one of them does not work as of yet.

Ok thanks a lot for your help.. Will wait till sbsettings is fixed. Till then i can use datacarrier

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'll also go from JB 6.1 to JB 7.0.4 on my iPad soon. I started with a JB on my iPhone which is already 7.0.4, just to make sure everything's there and works before I transition the iPad.

So if I want to start with a clean iPad, I simply (after DFU) choose not to restore from backup?
Ahd if I do restore from backup, will it also restore Cydia tweaks and settings from 6 (which would become visible only after jailbreaking it in 7), or does it only restore "official" content (so even after DFU+restore, the iPad will only have official file-system contents plus apps, no leftovers whatsoever)?

On a related note... How come installing iFile wants to remove some icon pack for Zeppelin (that was on the jailbroken 7.0.4 iPhone)? I've encountered a few of these strange phenomena (installing A wants to remove seemingly unrelated packages X, Y etc.). Not sure if it's a transient issue due to incompatibilities...

And one last thing: Does Cydia cross-check packages versions between all available repos, or just within the repos from which the respective packages were installed? So if you install package 1 from repo X, it will only check its updates from within that repo (and not from repo Y, or others if they become available)?
(I noticed some are available in more than one repo, and if I add one that includes betas (rpetri.ch for example), then it adds to the confusion a bit.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll also go from JB 6.1 to JB 7.0.4 on my iPad soon. I started with a JB on my iPhone which is already 7.0.4, just to make sure everything's there and works before I transition the iPad.

So if I want to start with a clean iPad, I simply (after DFU) choose not to restore from backup?
Ahd if I do restore from backup, will it also restore Cydia tweaks and settings from 6 (which would become visible only after jailbreaking it in 7), or does it only restore "official" content (so even after DFU+restore, the iPad will only have official file-system contents plus apps, no leftovers whatsoever)?

Yes, putting iOS 7 on the iPad (with DFU method) will make a clean install; you'll have a fresh-from-the-factory iPad if you choose to "Restore as New."

In fact, restoring from new guarantees there will be nothing left from old jail breaks (vs restoring from backup). Sometimes, bits and pieces of coding from jail broke tweaks do get left behind, tho they are not usually an issue on a stock iPad. But, if you don't put a backup on, it won't get the bits of coding. So, putting iOS 7 on the iPad will make it stock. There will not be any jail break coding on it.

As for tweaks, they may have made a backup for themselves. What I mean is, if you install a tweak you had on iOS 6, you may find some of your tweak settings are still the same, even though you are on iOS 7. It's the same as if you put an app on the iPad from the AppStore; it'll sometimes "remember" how it was. But, you have to be jail broken and re-install that tweak; it won't happen on its own. Hope that makes sense... :)

On a related note... How come installing iFile wants to remove some icon pack for Zeppelin (that was on the jailbroken 7.0.4 iPhone)? I've encountered a few of these strange phenomena (installing A wants to remove seemingly unrelated packages X, Y etc.). Not sure if it's a transient issue due to incompatibilities...

Not sure on this one, so I'm leaving it alone. Hopefully, someone else can help.

And one last thing: Does Cydia cross-check packages versions between all available repos, or just within the repos from which the respective packages were installed? So if you install package 1 from repo X, it will only check its updates from within that repo (and not from repo Y, or others if they become available)?
(I noticed some are available in more than one repo, and if I add one that includes betas (rpetri.ch for example), then it adds to the confusion a bit.

No, versions of packages are not cross checked in different repositories. Each tweak will only go back to its repo to see if there are any updates.

For the multiple lists, just ensure you install the one that has the best chance of getting updated. For example, if you want to run a beta update, you'll run the one from that repo (Petrich's, for example). If it gets updated, only that tweak will get updated, not the one on the main repo. And, you'll get that red badge to tell you it has an update. But, the non-beta tweak (usually on one of the default Cydia repos) will not get the update.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts