What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreak questions for a newby

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all.

As I threatened this is sent from my iPad. :)

I have been reading up on Jailbreaking (for no real reason other than satisfying my curiosity).

My questions are as follows:

1. My iPad is secondhand, how can I tell if it is jail broken or not?
2. If it is jailbroken and there is a newer iOS firmware to be installed (when one comes along) will the update un-Jailbreak my iPad necessitating another Jailbreak?
3. What is a "Blob"?
4. Finally, what/how/when would DFU be needed/used?

Sorry to ask multiple questions in one post, but I think in my case they are related.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there.

I checked out your suggested site and it did answer most of my questions.

The questions still need an answers are:

What is a "Blob" and:

I am not sure if I assume correctly here so I would like a re-phrase on question 2 relating to a firmware update on a JB device.

Regards

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there.

I checked out your suggested site and it did answer most of my questions.

The questions still need an answers are:

What is a "Blob" and:

I am not sure if I assume correctly here so I would like a re-phrase on question 2 relating to a firmware update on a JB device.

Regards

We love it when people use the search tools Janset! - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/59291-shsh-blobs-faq-new-improved-2012-a.html
Have a look at all the stickies in the Hacking Section and the various sub-forums. They will answer most of what you need to know before jailbreaking.

As regards updating, the current situation is that you cannot update to a new version of IOS without losing your jailbreak, so the choice (when a new version comes out) will be yours. Either wait for a new jailbreak, or lose the jailbreak and enjoy the new features of IOS. Fortunately, at the present time, 5.1.1 is the latest IOS and it can be jailbroken.
Typically (since the release of 5.0), a new jailbreak has taken several months to surface after a new version of IOS is released.

Last edited:
OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there.

Thanks for the quick reply and for answering my question. Now all I need to know what a "Blob" is.

I am making a guess here, would it be a firmware package?

And yes, the best way to learn is to look up the problem, but sometimes that is easier said then done, or if the instruction is ambiguous to the reader, as it was to me in the above case, then an explanation works very well. :)

Regards

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there.

Thanks for the quick reply and for answering my question. Now all I need to know what a "Blob" is.

I am making a guess here, would it be a firmware package?

And yes, the best way to learn is to look up the problem, but sometimes that is easier said then done, or if the instruction is ambiguous to the reader, as it was to me in the above case, then an explanation works very well. :)

Regards

I provided you with a link above that tells you exactly what a blob is...

Here is is again - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/59291-shsh-blobs-faq-new-improved-2012-a.html

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there.

My bad. <:(

If it was a dog it would have bit me. I will try and be more observant the next time.

Regards

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi again f4780y.

To continue my bombardment :)

I have read the above, thank you. Now a question concerning TinyUmbrella.

I have down loaded this to my Win7 PC, I then printed out your "HOW TO -Save your SHSH Blobs with TinyUmbrella" and proceeded to use the program.

TU installed as shown and I connected my iPad via the Syc cable. The first panel came up as shown in your tutorial, but here is where the problem started.

At the very same time as the panel, up popped an info box headed "Read This". It went on to read:

"Request SHSH from Cydia" is currently set. This can cause issues if you try to save current SHSHs as Cydia is no longer able to reliably proxy SHSH requests. Please change your settings in the "Advanced" tab and click the "Apply Changes" button or use the "Edit" menu to apply changes. Then there was the O.K. button.

When this was clicked up popped another advice box headed "Hosts Modification" It read:

You currently have "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" set. If you are having issues restoring, you need to uncheck this box and "Apply changes", then written in bold print:
BE WARNED: If you restore stock Apple firmware, your baseband can and likely will be up-date".

These two warnings kind of spook me considering that I_DO_NOT have Cydia installed, nor is my iPad JB (to the best of my knowledge)

The third thing I think needs mentioning is when the first display panel is shown as per your tutorial as to how it should look, mine does, except it does not give any details at_all in the lower half, e.g Device Model, Installed Firmware Version etc.

What is your advice in this matter?

Regards

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
... [snip for response brevity] ...

These two warnings kind of spook me considering that I_DO_NOT have Cydia installed, nor is my iPad JB (to the best of my knowledge)

The third thing I think needs mentioning is when the first display panel is shown as per your tutorial as to how it should look, mine does, except it does not give any details at_all in the lower half, e.g Device Model, Installed Firmware Version etc.

Regards

Those two notices from Tiny Umbrella are normal. it's set like that to remind people. You can either change the hosts file to point to Apple or you can leave it until/if you have trouble [with restoring a jail broken iPad]. Although, it's usually best to follow the prompt and untick that check box as it saves hassle should you need to do it later (and have forgotten that you DIDN'T do it). It's stock boilerplate for the first run of Tiny Umbrella and it has nothing to do with your iPad. It's how your personal computer is set up that Tiny Umbrella has detected and is commenting on.

Anyone's computer set in your configuration would have gotten that prompt from Cydia. The stock or jail broken status of your iPad makes no difference. You can run Tiny Umbrella and it will have no affect on your iPad - other than you will have saved its SHSH blobs for iOS 5.1.1.

For the last bit, when your iPad is connected and Tiny Umbrella is running, do you have your iPad highlighted under the "connected" line? There are a number of lines on that left side and as far as I remember, only the "connected" line actually cause Tiny Umbrella to see and read your iPad info.

If that's still not showing up, then it may be that it's a simple matter of the photo in the tutorial being old. Tiny Umbrella has gone through many updates since this tutorial was made. The basic premise and steps to run Tiny Umbrella remain the same. it's just that some of the cosmetics may have changed.

Hope some of this clarifies and reassures.

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Regards

My advice is follow the tutorial. It is carefully crafted by me to leave your PC in a state which addresses the warning which are given by TU when you start it up. Once you complete the tutorial you will have both these options UNSET which is exactly how you want to leave things for the future so you don't run into future problems.

Hope that clarifies.

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

Excellent instruction on all counts. f4780y, your instructions followed to the tee. I am now the proud owner of my own Blob!

Now that I have it, when/where/how would I go about using it? :)

Regards

Most reactions

Latest posts