What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you are new, please post an introduction thread.

zagge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ubbe from Lerum, Sweden here.
Found the forum when googling for some answers about the sound quality when streaming with bluetooth to belking.
I've got an Ipad 2 64gb wifi/3g since 3-4 months now.

mike1941

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good morning (at least on this side of the planet) to everybody,
not being very much forum trained, I'd like to specify my "problem" as follows:
I'm using an IPad 1 (that is - w/o cam), from the PEARL shop in GE I got a pouch with built-in keyboard, connected via bluetooth - works fine !
This brought me to the idea to also connect a webcam via bluetooth - if there is anything like that on the market.
I'd appreciate friendly comments on that issue, I might have found something this direction already in the area of "spy cams".

Cheers
Mike

karenindehar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My name is Karen. Got the iPad in early may. Looking for some kind of Word processing app. Please help.

ikrazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using an IPad 1 (that is - w/o cam), from the PEARL shop in GE I got a pouch with built-in keyboard, connected via bluetooth - works fine !
This brought me to the idea to also connect a webcam via bluetooth - if there is anything like that on the market.
I'd appreciate friendly comments on that issue, I might have found something this direction already in the area of "spy cams".

Cheers
Mike

Do you have an iPhone too? Then this might be an option...

Camera for iPad for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My name is Karen. Got the iPad in early may. Looking for some kind of Word processing app. Please help.

One of our members carried out a survey of Office apps for his company; you can see his conclusions in this thread...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Another comparison was undertaken here....

http://www.ipadforums.net/iwork-forum/36629-office-app-comparison.html

The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

Apple - Support - iOS Apps - Welcome

Tim

wayneborean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Original IPad, 64gb WiFi (Canadian 3G pricing is, well, expensive is being polite).

I use it as a laptop replacement when out of the house, do a lot of writing and research using it. I also use it as an e- reader. I'm a professional writer, do non-fiction on computers, copyright, old farm equipment, and whatever else take my fancy, and of course pays. I'm also a publisher, with my own series of ISBNs.

You can find my writing on SemiAccurate, mad hatter.ca, wayneborean.ca, and weblit.ca (I own the last three sites).

Oh yes, and the Canadian Recording Industry Association hates me, but that's a long story ;)

Wayne

wayneborean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
One of our members carried out a survey of Office apps for his company; you can see his conclusions in this thread...

The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

Tim

Pages for the IPad has only one serious failing, and that is it's inability to support Indexes. This is a major issues when you are working on a book and have hit 40,000 plus words, and add a couple of chapters while traveling, and find out when you get home that your formatting is all gone weird. This is a major problem, and Apple needs to address it post haste.

Wayne

wayneborean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plainsman said:
Hello. I'm a "semi-retired" pro photographer living on a remote cattle ranch. I've been a Macster since '84 and an iPad-er for one week.

I'm looking forward to learning about this fascinating little device. My justification for buying it was that I wanted a really small, but capable, take-along when I travel. I wanted to be able to download photos to it and then transfer them to a larger computer when I got back to home base. Seems simple (and is with my laptops) but may have some bumps in the road.

I also write and liked the idea of a super-light tool for that as well. Pages and Keynote are two of my mainstay programs and I am hoping that going back and forth between the iPad and the home computers in these programs won't be a major hassle.

In my almost 30 years with Macs I have never (knock on wood!) run into are problem I couldn't solve myself with some patience and help from on-line savants. I hope the same will apply to my new little friend.

I'm looking forward to being a member here and maybe, eventually, making a contribution or two.

Thanks for having me.

I don't know about KeyNote (I personally think that presentation software was designed to drive us all insane) but I can assure you as a professional writer that the IPad (I have a 64GB first gen WiFi only unit) works fairly well. My only major complaint is that it doesn't handles indexes, or at least if it does, it does so in a way not compatible with Pages on the Mac.

And this is a real nuisance with large documents.

I suspect that Apple will fix this in the next release. I can't be the only person working with large documents :)

Wayne

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim

Pages for the IPad has only one serious failing, and that is it's inability to support Indexes. This is a major issues when you are working on a book and have hit 40,000 plus words, and add a couple of chapters while traveling, and find out when you get home that your formatting is all gone weird. This is a major problem, and Apple needs to address it post haste.

Wayne

You're right - and there are lots of other things that Pages doesn't support - no support for Track Changes, Sticky Notes, with workaround only - superscripts, subscripts, footnotes, endnotes - table of contents, the list goes on-and-on.

I doubt that we'll ever get a 'full' WP package on the iPad, though I'm surprised that some enterprising developer hasn't seen fit to work on one given the number of requests we get at iPad Forum.

Tim

wayneborean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
You're right - and there are lots of other things that Pages doesn't support - no support for Track Changes, Sticky Notes, with workaround only - superscripts, subscripts, footnotes, endnotes - table of contents, the list goes on-and-on.

I doubt that we'll ever get a 'full' WP package on the iPad, though I'm surprised that some enterprising developer hasn't seen fit to work on one given the number of requests we get at iPad Forum.

Tim

Fascinating. I'd never noticed superscript and subscript weren't there. Guess that shows you how often I use the.

As to some developer getting involved, the most likely developer can't because the app store won't allow LGPL Licensed software, which I think is a terrible mistake on Apple's part. FYI, I'm the lunatic which started a terrible row by prediction that Microsoft will be in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy by the Fall of 2014 by reading their Securities and Exchange Commission filings. Do a Google search on the term "Microsoft Death Watch", you will get a ton of hits, most of which will probably take you to my site, or to someone who links back to me. I made that prediction before anyone knew about the IPad, or how it would eat into Microsoft's sales (check for articles on drops in classical mechanical hard drive sales as one reference point).

One of the reasons that I made the call when I did was that Microsoft's numbers were no long making any sense. I spent a long time beating my head against the wall until I was able to put the answer together. IWork is one of the answers to the question "why is Microsoft's profitability dropping". There are a bunch of other answers, like Google Docs. I don't know if it will let me use a link (it would't before):

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/04/28/...-coincidence-the-third-time-its-enemy-action/

The article covers a series of actions taken by Apple which could be regarded as attacks on Microsoft. It's an impressive list. Truly impressive.

Wayne

mike1941

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Cheers
Mike

Do you have an iPhone too? Then this might be an option...

Camera for iPad for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Thanks for answering, but - no, I don't.
Do you think it would help solving the "problem" ?
Regards, mike1941

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim

Fascinating. I'd never noticed superscript and subscript weren't there. Guess that shows you how often I use the.

As to some developer getting involved, the most likely developer can't because the app store won't allow LGPL Licensed software, which I think is a terrible mistake on Apple's part. FYI, I'm the lunatic which started a terrible row by prediction that Microsoft will be in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy by the Fall of 2014 by reading their Securities and Exchange Commission filings. Do a Google search on the term "Microsoft Death Watch", you will get a ton of hits, most of which will probably take you to my site, or to someone who links back to me. I made that prediction before anyone knew about the IPad, or how it would eat into Microsoft's sales (check for articles on drops in classical mechanical hard drive sales as one reference point).

One of the reasons that I made the call when I did was that Microsoft's numbers were no long making any sense. I spent a long time beating my head against the wall until I was able to put the answer together. IWork is one of the answers to the question "why is Microsoft's profitability dropping". There are a bunch of other answers, like Google Docs. I don't know if it will let me use a link (it would't before):

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it’s enemy action. | SemiAccurate

The article covers a series of actions taken by Apple which could be regarded as attacks on Microsoft. It's an impressive list. Truly impressive.

Wayne

I have 'Pages' and superscript and subscript are partially supported. An imported document with superscripts and subscripts is displayed correctly but there is no option to insert 'new' superscripts and subscripts. A (very ugly) workaround (sit down before you read this!) is to have a 'reference' document available in your Pages 'My documents' with a single superscript and subscript in it (which you've imported from MS Word). You can then copy and paste this to the document you are working on. The superscript and subscript can be any character (i.e. they don't have to be the one you're actually wanting to use because, bizarrely, once you've inserted it, Pages lets you edit it - i.e. if you backspace through the superscript or subscript and then forward type the character you actually want to use, it is inserted correctly.) Indeed, if you keep on typing, multiple superscript or subscripted characters are inserted indefinitely, so it pays to paste your sub- or superscripted character in the middle of 'regular' text - i.e. with non sub- or superscripted text on either side, or you can't 'get out of' sub- or superscript mode!

Similarly, footnotes are correctly displayed but there is no facility (that I've found) to insert new ones. Maybe there's a similar ugly workaround, but I've been unable to use the 'subscript technique' to do this. Clearly I don't have a devious enough mind.

I've not done a comprehensive analysis of symbol font, but certainly most Greek characters are displayed correctly (pi, alpha, gamma, kappa etc) as well as the 'trademark' and 'registered' character (are they symbol font?) so I'm assuming the copy-and-paste technique would work.

Tim

lucylambkin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone....i've just bought an ipad from ebay to use for games.
I'm an ipad newbie....so please be patient with me 

Most reactions

Latest posts