What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you will consider an Android Tablet?

Will you consider purchasing an Android tablet?

• Yes! It will replace my iPad.

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Yes! But I'll keep my iPad too.

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • No! I'll keep my iPad.

Votes: 119 52.7%
  • Maybe. I have to use it before I decide.

Votes: 50 22.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Again, you guys are getting offended for no reason. Apple made sure the iPad would appeal to everyone, including the lowest common denominator in the tech world. They built it so it could be used by a computer engineer and his grandmother equally well.

Android OS is better for people who care about tinkering and customizing things, iOS is better for people who just want the function and don't care as much about changing things around to suit their needs and/or personality the best.

Either OS can be used by someone who doesn't know anything about computers, it's just Android OS leaves things a little more open to the people who do know their way around a system menu.

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Again, you guys are getting offended for no reason. Apple made sure the iPad would appeal to everyone, including the lowest common denominator in the tech world. They built it so it could be used by a computer engineer and his grandmother equally well.

Android OS is better for people who care about tinkering and customizing things, iOS is better for people who just want the function and don't care as much about changing things around to suit their needs and/or personality the best.

Either OS can be used by someone who doesn't know anything about computers, it's just Android OS leaves things a little more open to the people who do know their way around a system menu.

I'm not offended at all...but I do think that claiming Apple products is for the non tech savvy is just short sited.

I can't stand that I have to fix my Android with every update. I also think iOS devices should have a 3rd party installation option so you don't have to jailbreak. Put liability on the user....don't restrict the possibility to modify...just inform the user it is to their own possibly peril.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well said. I can't find any argument with that analysis. In my case, I already knew what I was getting with the iPad because I have been an iPod Touch user for quite some time now. I knew the iPad was basically the same thing but bigger and by golly that's what I got (and wanted). At the same time, if I wanted something I could customize and really "make mine" I would also be looking hard at the Android devices.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Prasius said:
Am I the only person who feels slightly offended when I regulary see this comment rolled out about iOS and Apple? Not suggesting an off the cuff comment by the poster was meant to cause offense in this case but the insinuation of it irks me a bit as someone who remembers making boot disks for my DX2! I can't help but wonder how many of these self-proclaimed "technically inclined" would run a mile at seeing a CLI.

It's the tech geek equivalent of a mechanic dismissing someone who buys a reliable car because "they aren't mechanically inclined"!

Additionally, raving about widgets and being able to change SMS tones hardly counts as technically inclined to me.. And I'm still often at a loss to what some people are really planning to do with some of their devices. I think my favourite example of the last few weeks was the CDMA iP4 being critised because you couldn't take a phone call and also use the browser to search the web at the same time! Seriously, who the hell actually does that? The argument was if you're bring given directions and you wanted to look them up - it seems my solution of using something called a pen and paper to write down the postcode wasn't "technically inclined" enough; but seemed to me the simplest and most intuitive solution ;)

I'm sorry that I offended you. I did not mean to hurt anyones feelings. My point is that Apple targets the less technical. If you are technical and you prefer to use Apple products, great! More power to you! That still doesn't change Apple's market strategy. By the way, I work full time in IT, and have been using computer's since the Apple II.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My phone is an HTC Evo. I have rooted the phone and have flashed the latest Cyanogenmod rom. I love the ability to modify and tweak the phone the way I want.

Having said that, I have no interest in buying an Android tablet. They just aren't ready for primetime yet. Can I run Netflix on Android? Not yet. But it works fantastic on the ipad. Can I stream Hulu via Playontv on Android? Not yet. But it runs decent on the iPad. Does watching Dish Network via the Sling adapter work as well on an Android tablet as it does on the iPad? I'm not sure but I doubt it. Do my children know how to rip a tv show into the proper format and load it in the right location on their android phones (Optimus S - a great phone btw)? No way, and frankly why bother? But they know how to use their iTunes gift cards and load their shows and music onto the iPad. While the Zoom may have some great specs, so does my laptop. I don't want to act as family tech support just so a child can watch a movie.

The iPad just works. No tinkering, no compatibility issues, no fuss. It's great. I might feel differently in the future, but for now my only purchasing decision in the spring will be weather to keep my gen 1 iPad or upgrade to the iPad 2.

There is no ripping of TV shows for android, and you dont have to "put it in the right place". You throw it ANYWHERE on the SD card in ANY format and the phone/tablet does the rest. Use any number of apps to play the files, including in many cases the stock video player.

The iPad doesn't "just work", and you explained how it doesn't in your post. First you have to convert a movie to a compatible format. That isn't just working. Second, you need iTunes to load the movie on your device, and can ONLY load it from the computer you usually sync to or you risk wiping your iPad clean. That isn't "just working".

I find that people point out every little technical flaw with Android while avoiding the MASSIVE shortcomings of iOS, which is kind of annoying. I have both an iPad and an Android phone. Both have their flaws. iOS is for the most part more smooth, even though the main reason for this is that I can tinker with the Android phone more and am currently running a custom build of a beta froyo build which detracts from its performance somewhat. iOS has more apps and better apps, but it lacks choice of anykind. No keyboard changes, no widgets, no customization, no differing lockscreens, etc. Personally, these things annoy me more than the benefits of iOS entertain me. I expect most on this board to feel differently and some to probably embrace this lack of features as something positive.

Last edited:
OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I'm not offended at all...but I do think that claiming Apple products is for the non tech savvy is just short sited.

I can't stand that I have to fix my Android with every update. I also think iOS devices should have a 3rd party installation option so you don't have to jailbreak. Put liability on the user....don't restrict the possibility to modify...just inform the user it is to their own possibly peril.

The iPad was built specifically for the non-tech crowd, however that doesn't mean that highly technical people can't get the most out of it either.

What do you mean by you have to fix your Android phone with every update? Fix it in what way? No update will ever be perfect, just look at how many people had technical problems initially with the 4.2 update on iPad.

I agree that that the user should be given the choice, but that is not Apple's business model. The more people they can get to do it their way, the more potential iTunes customers they have. That is exactly why my next tablet will be an Android tablet, because I'm given at least some choice on how I want things to happen.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Quote I'm not offended at all...but I do think that claiming Apple products is for the non tech savvy is just short sited. Gentle fury

I totally agree it is so short sited. Any one whom thinks that Apple products is for non tech savvy lives in a box and has no idea of the real world is about. I would state that also those of you whom complain about how bad Apple is and how Apple iOS sucks will never be satisfied no matter what type platform you use. The group whom wants to tinker modify change every thing they buy covers about maybe 10% possibly 15% of users world wide. Many of those users are satisfied and happy of what they can achieve and that's fine but at the same time a lot are not satisfied because they always want some thing better. Every technical forum out there has users whom complain about every thing that does not suit them and that is also fine because forums are a way to discuss Issues and maybe come up with answers that help other users. My point is simple if the iPad is so bad and you really hate every thing about the ipad and the iOS then move on find something else to use that fits your needs. When you find the ultimate answer please let us know. I welcome constructive criticism but let's not go over board ok

Last edited:

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think iOS was built specifically to be easy and intuitive to use - It's about good design, not the users technical ability, and that should be applauded. Tech should be easy to use; although many tech geeks don't like that.

I think gentlefury was talking from personal experience, and only two weeks ago I was happily mocking a friend of mine who lost all her contacts after her updated andriod phone refused to maintain her contacts during the update or accept a backup. Not an experience I've had when updating any of my Apple devices.......

Apple kit does just work as long as you accept the, well publicised, limitations. Many other devices (not uniquely andriod) have few limitations, but have a habit of not just working - especially with other devices.

Last edited:

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think iOS was built specifically to be easy and intuitive to use - It's about good design, not the users technical ability, and that should be applauded. Tech should be easy to use; although many tech geeks don't like that.

I think gentlefury was talking from personal experience, and only two weeks ago I was happily mocking a friend of mine who lost all her contacts after her updated andriod phone refused to maintain her contacts during the update or accept a backup. Not an experience I've had when updating any of my Apple devices.......

Apple kit does just work as long as you accept the, well publicised, limitations. Many other devices (not uniquely andriod) have few limitations, but have a habit of not just working - especially with other devices.

Wow. My contacts on my iPad and my Droid phone are kept in the same place. If I lose them on my Droid phone then I also lose them on my iPad. Are you guys even thinking when you criticize these devices?

Nate

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quote I'm not offended at all...but I do think that claiming Apple products is for the non tech savvy is just short sited. Gentle fury

I totally agree it is so short sited. Any one whom thinks that Apple products is

I think people throw around words they don't understand...but I think what could be said is Apple products are not designed for tech hackers instead of saying tech savvy. Would that be fair?

Sure...there is jail breaking for the iPad. So far I have not seen a good reason to jail break. It doesn't give me enough benefits to warrant the cost. But on android I could not imagine not rooting. The is just so much stuff in the market for rooters to play with. Makes it more fun.

I am not bashing either device. I like my ipad for browsing and having access to most of my work documents at work as I roam from office to office. I like Droid for easy access while on the road as well as gps apps when I am alpine hiking. It's always in my pocket and ready to go. And when in an airport, I use both devices since I got the non 3 g version of the iPad. They work well together.

I do want a Motorola zoom. When it comes out I will pass the iPad down to my wife. I won't be selling this thing.

Nate

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I totally agree it is so short sited. Any one whom thinks that Apple products is

I think people throw around words they don't understand...but I think what could be said is Apple products are not designed for tech hackers instead of saying tech savvy. Would that be fair?

Sure...there is jail breaking for the iPad. So far I have not seen a good reason to jail break. It doesn't give me enough benefits to warrant the cost. But on android I could not imagine not rooting. The is just so much stuff in the market for rooters to play with. Makes it more fun.

I am not bashing either device. I like my ipad for browsing and having access to most of my work documents at work as I roam from office to office. I like Droid for easy access while on the road as well as gps apps when I am alpine hiking. It's always in my pocket and ready to go. And when in an airport, I use both devices since I got the non 3 g version of the iPad. They work well together.

I do want a Motorola zoom. When it comes out I will pass the iPad down to my wife. I won't be selling this thing.

Nate

That would actually not be fair in the least. OSX is built on Unix..and everything you can do in linux builds you can do on a Mac. The other day my home comp locked up due to an issue with splashtop remote. I was even unable to VNC into it. I used a terminal bash to SSH into my desktop and send a reboot command. Problem solved.

So much for being made for idiots.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score

What are you out to prove here? That the iPad ISN'T easy to use for everyone? No one is saying you can't do advanced things with the iPad. They are saying the majority of the functions the iPad is capable of are made to be simple to understand and accomplish even by someone who rarely (or has never) uses a computer.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

What are you out to prove here? That the iPad ISN'T easy to use for everyone? No one is saying you can't do advanced things with the iPad. They are saying the majority of the functions the iPad is capable of are made to be simple to understand and accomplish even by someone who rarely (or has never) uses a computer.

The comment I was replying to had nothing to do with the iPad, it said apple products. Mac OSX is about the most advanced OS on the market...it is only installed on Apple products.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The comment I was replying to had nothing to do with the iPad, it said apple products. Mac OSX is about the most advanced OS on the market...it is only installed on Apple products.

That isn't exactly true. It is only designed for Apple products, but it runs just fine on non Apple branded hardware :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts