What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you will consider an Android Tablet?

Will you consider purchasing an Android tablet?

• Yes! It will replace my iPad.

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Yes! But I'll keep my iPad too.

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • No! I'll keep my iPad.

Votes: 119 52.7%
  • Maybe. I have to use it before I decide.

Votes: 50 22.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At this time, there is no decent Android Tablet out in my opinion. The tablets that are available each have some fairly major faults when compared to the iPad.

However, in the next 1-6 months, we will be finally seeing some high quality products as well as an Android tablet-specific OS upgrade. When these come out, they will be technically more functional than an iPad due to the more open file system, expansion ports, HDMI, SD cards, etc, etc. But as many will attest, it's going to be difficult to beat the silky smooth user interface of the iPad. Until that gets worked out (if ever) lets just assume you will be sacrificing some smoothness for added functionality.

So, out of the current iPad owners, or prospective owners, how many of you will strongly consider purchasing an Android tablet?

PS. Not really considering the Windows based tablets and other propietary tablets in this poll, as most analysts don't think they will have a major impact, and the war will come down to Apple vs Google in the end.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the lack of a "tablet" OS on android I think it will be several years before they are even close to Apples iPad in gross sales. Yes, there are advantages but not for the majority of users. Also, iTunes isn't the be all end all but I can sync all my devices with one program....with all the tabs now on the market I dont want to have too load multiple programs/apps.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, the next version of Android natively supports tablets. Much in the same way that the iOS on the iPad is just a modified version of the iPhone iOS, the next Android OS will support native tablet apps. They are currently working on the Marketplace as well to divide up tablet apps and mobile phone apps.

Also, I don't think it will take several years. With all the different tablets that will be on the market soon, and already are, the gap will soon close, and Apple might be fighting to hold onto its majority share of the tablet market. The Samsung Galaxy Tablet is already over one million sold, and it's only been on the market since mid-October. There are several other brands being sold around the US and the world that are from smaller companies that also are selling well, just not quite at that volume.

Like I said, it will be a while before the user interface is as smooth as the iPad (if ever), but now we are actually receiving a viable alternative to the iPad, people will buy them, especially the lower priced ones.

Last edited:

Gabriel1964

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And Archos have a 10 inch Android tablet out already. I have used their 5 inch unit (I have an Archos 5IT as wellas my iPad) and they work well. I know I have some different requirements to a lot of people (I do a lot of dev and Android allows me access to things like serial bluetooth stacks for robotics control) so I probably will replace my iPad with an Android tablet. Just want to see what is around in the new year..........

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was looking for a good quality Android tablet earlier this year, but they aren't quite there yet, so I purchased the iPad. I expect in the next 6-12 months Android tablets will be a real competitor to the iPad. The Android manufacturers aren't as conservative as Apple, so we will see dual core, built in cameras, >1GB RAM etc on Android before we do on iPad. For a lot of people that will be the deciding factors.

iOS will have the advantage in user experience for awhile, but it won't make enough difference for most users. It's a lot like the original MacOS vs Windows situation from 15 years ago.

Dragoro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was looking for a good quality Android tablet earlier this year, but they aren't quite there yet, so I purchased the iPad. I expect in the next 6-12 months Android tablets will be a real competitor to the iPad. The Android manufacturers aren't as conservative as Apple, so we will see dual core, built in cameras, >1GB RAM etc on Android before we do on iPad. For a lot of people that will be the deciding factors.

iOS will have the advantage in user experience for awhile, but it won't make enough difference for most users. It's a lot like the original MacOS vs Windows situation from 15 years ago.

Only problem is all that stuff will seriously decrease the battery life.

Flinthills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad does a wonderful job of being an iPad. But I use mine at home. If android can shines in the office, I'm getting one for the office.

Saundman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was going to buy an Archos 9 but after reading the reviews everywhere. Even on the Archos own web forum. There was too many issues with their products (drivers, OS, etc..). That why I brought the iPad. After saying all that, I would buy another tablet with any other OS like Android but will wait from the bugs to worked out first.

Gabriel1964

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was going to buy an Archos 9 but after reading the reviews everywhere. Even on the Archos own web forum. There was too many issues with their products (drivers, OS, etc..). That why I brought the iPad. After saying all that, I would buy another tablet with any other OS like Android but will wait from the bugs to worked out first.

Yes the Archos 9 was indeed a disappointment - a very poor windows tablet, under powered and dated by the time it was released....

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing I heard about the Android system... you have 24h to get a reimbursement no-questions-asked for any app you buy on their store. (Please correct me if I heard wrong).
I think that would be awesome on the Apple App Store. I have many times wasted 0.99$s and 1.99$s. Ratings and reviews aren't a sure way to ensure you will like the app.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even the new Archos 101 which is a 10" Android tablet has a major fault that Is forcing many people to return it or not buy it. Apparently the functionality of the unit is excellent, it even has simple access to the Android Marketplace, but the screen has terrible viewing angle problems.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nope. I have way too much money invested in my apps, and I think that Apple has the best user experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts