What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dell Streak 7, Or: 10 Ways to Not Make an Android Tablet

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score

streeeeakkkk2_2.jpg

If it was possible to drown in plastic and silicon, we would so choke to death on all the Android tablets coming soon. This is a guide to not making one. The Dell Streak 7 followed it precisely.

The Dell Streak 7 is perhaps the last Android tablet from a major manufacturer that will follow this guide. In a couple of months, after the tablet-centric Android 3.0 becomes de rigeur for any decent producer of Android-powered knick-nacks and bobbles, we'll enter a new phase of Android tablets where across-the-field genericness is offset by the taste and utility of Honeycomb. (In fact, I hope manufacturers don't take too deeply to differentiating by tweaking Honeycomb, since they've proven over and over again Google has better designers than they do.) But that doesn't mean we won't see plenty more tablets from other manufacturers that follow the template set out by the Streak 7:

1. Use a middling, low-res screen with crummy viewing angles.

2. Use out-of-date software designed for a phone.

3. Halfway cover up said out-of-date software with a custom interface that is only mediocre?like covering a tiny face stretched across a giant head with a ski mask made out of wet flannel.

4. Make something with the heart of a cheetah?the Tegra 2?occasionally respond so slowly that a crippled turtle drowning in a meteor-sized ball of laffy taffy would move with greater speed.

5. Make sure that your pokes are ignored at least one quarter of the time you try to touch something on the screen.

6. Get rid of the search button without a good reason. (Was there not enough space? I do not think so.)

7. Require a two-year contract to buy it, tethering its money-draining corpse to you long after it's obsolete.

8. Turn the apps screen into a version of Minesweeper called, "App or Crapware?" (I am looking at you, BrainPOP.)

9. Design a paperback-sized device?that is still almost as much phone as tablet?around the idea that it'll primarily be held in a landscape position.

10. Pull all calling functions out of your giant phone-tablet.

If you absolutely must pick up a 7-inch Android tablet immediately, the Samsung Galaxy Tab is better at this very moment. The pickle is that the Streak has better guts and will one day be updated to Android 3.0, which will likely obliterate the software problems, while we've heard that the Galaxy Tab may not ever be updated to 3.0. (That said, Honeycomb won't do anything to fix the Streak 7's mediocre screen, which is totally inferior to the Tab, and we hate the idea of purchasing anything predicated on the hopes or promises of a software update, which is only slightly less risky than purchasing a lottery ticket.)

Scathing! They recommended the Galaxy Tab over this, and they hated the Tab!

Samsung Galaxy Tab Review: A Pocketable Train Wreck

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sad.
Guess it was the rush to Market, but don't they realise it reflects on their other products ?

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a simpler rule. If it says Dell on it anywhere....it LITERALLY goes out the window......as hard as I can throw it.

Dell is junk.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually it was the contorted hoops you had to go through to get anything repaired that killed my interest in Dell years ago.

That said, if you build your own pc you know how to fix it...

Most reactions

Latest posts