What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you will consider an Android Tablet?

Will you consider purchasing an Android tablet?

• Yes! It will replace my iPad.

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Yes! But I'll keep my iPad too.

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • No! I'll keep my iPad.

Votes: 119 52.7%
  • Maybe. I have to use it before I decide.

Votes: 50 22.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ipadzombie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right... News flash... A tablet on 3g service or wifi is capable of making voip calls... and there are many voip apps available in the official App Store. BT Headset could come in handy for that... And its so easy for them to implement... I wonder how many versions of iPads and upgrades of iOS it will take to add this basic feature... Not even Jailbreaking can save it...

If the iPad was only $200 that would be one thing, but the 64gb 3G goes for $829 and no bluetooth headset support???

You won't find this pitiful limitation on any Android device... Just saying...

Last edited:

rsmin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I must be missing something? I have a droidx and ipad and both pair up fine with my bluetooth headset......

Rusty :)

ipadzombie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Rusty, does the microphone portion of the bluetooth headset work on your ipad? Have you tried it for any voip apps?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can't get the iPad to discover, let alone pair with my Jawbone Icon. Not that there are any useful apps to use it with. Well, not unless you use an iPhone app.

Strangely enough, I can pair with the Droid X, but it won't connect. Maybe if I get a bluetooth file transfer app on both and then. . .

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay ~ enlighten me please?:eek:

Why do people want their bluetooth paired with anything?

Well, unless it is your cell phone. I have to use it for that purpose, but I can't wait to get that thing out of my ear when I get home! I hate it.

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well, unless it is your cell phone. I have to use it for that purpose, but I can't wait to get that thing out of my ear when I get home! I hate it.

It's more than just an earpiece.
Bluetooth is also used with keyboards, mice, printers, etc.

I have a handsfree speakerphone for my cellphone that uses Bluetooth. For a kick, I tried to pair it to my iPad, and it worked! I can now use it as an external speaker for my iPad.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have a handsfree speakerphone for my cellphone that uses Bluetooth. For a kick, I tried to pair it to my iPad, and it worked! I can now use it as an external speaker for my iPad.

I knew this, Bob, but why? On my HP Mini I see that bluetooth thingy down there, but so what if I paired it with my mini, what will I do then?

Tell it to type for me? lol!

I........am con.........fused.:D

rsmin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadzombie said:
Hey Rusty, does the microphone portion of the bluetooth headset work on your ipad? Have you tried it for any voip apps?

ipadzombie,

Maybe that is where I am missing this. Pairing is no trouble, but if I get a chance today I will try that and see how that works.

Rusty :)

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I knew this, Bob, but why? On my HP Mini I see that bluetooth thingy down there, but so what if I paired it with my mini, what will I do then?

I don't think you could pair it with your netbook. There would be no point.

Bluetooth for the iPad is for keyboards and headphones/speakers, for right now.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right... News flash... A tablet on 3g service or wifi is capable of making voip calls... and there are many voip apps available in the official App Store. BT Headset could come in handy for that... And its so easy for them to implement... I wonder how many versions of iPads and upgrades of iOS it will take to add this basic feature... Not even Jailbreaking can save it...

If the iPad was only $200 that would be one thing, but the 64gb 3G goes for $829 and no bluetooth headset support???

For one thats because an android tablet is just a scaled up phone....android was not meant for tablets. Secondly, BT devices like the jawbone will only pair with phones. I had a hell of a time and had to download special drivers to pair it with my computer and get it to work. You also can't listen to music with a jawbone on an android...so besides phone calls its useless. Therefore it is pointless on an iPad...if you really want to make calls get an iPhone.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You could pair it with your netbook and use Skype with it.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I don't think you could pair it with your netbook. There would be no point.

Bluetooth for the iPad is for keyboards and headphones/speakers, for right now.

It would be awesome if you could pair your ipad with a laptop or desktop and transfer files, but Apple of course gimped that capability intentionally.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

For one thats because an android tablet is just a scaled up phone....android was not meant for tablets. Secondly, BT devices like the jawbone will only pair with phones. I had a hell of a time and had to download special drivers to pair it with my computer and get it to work. You also can't listen to music with a jawbone on an android...so besides phone calls its useless. Therefore it is pointless on an iPad...if you really want to make calls get an iPhone.

LOL at parroting EXACTLY what Tim Cook said today. I mean seriously that is hilarious. Android tablets is just a scaled up phone, are you serious? iOS on the iPad is the EXACT same as iOS on the phone, with a new Mail app.

Secondly, BT devices will pair to any computer with bluetooth. I pair my BT ear piece to my computer all of the time without any drivers. Never even heard of needing drivers for a bluetooth connection.

I don't know specifically about the jawbone, but you certainly can listen to music using BT headphones or BT ear pieces on Android.

Source for the Tim Cook quote that was miraculously close to yours that he said TODAY:
http://www.phonedog.com/2011/01/19/...alling-android-tablets-scaled-up-smartphones/

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
LOL at parroting EXACTLY what Tim Cook said today. I mean seriously that is hilarious. Android tablets is just a scaled up phone, are you serious? iOS on the iPad is the EXACT same as iOS on the phone, with a new Mail app.

They parrot, you parrot, I parrot. In the end it's mostly everyone telling the half truths that justify our side of the argument.

iPad apps won't run an an iPhone, so your argument is silly, at best. On the other hand there are no Android Tablet apps in the Market, and darn few else where. While some applications will scale nicely, yes a nicer scaling than iPhone to iPad, they fail to do anything that the phone couldn't. There is more to having a Tablet than blowing up your games and videos. The interface needs to take advantage of the space to make it a real improvement.

[Note: Some apps improve with scale very well, like video, books, and web browsers. Others just give you a bigger list to scroll though, instead of a better way to navigate and enter data.]

An Android Tablet on 2.2 is a compromise. It does somethings better than an iPad, and somethings worse. What it does not do is deliver a full tablet experience.

But this whole argument really isn't about current tablets, is it? Very few people got supper excited trying to decide if they were going to jump the Apple cart and get a Galaxy Tab.

No, this is about Honeycomb, and the fact that a tablet running it promises some serious improvements over the iPad, with far fewer of the drawbacks. Honeycomb isn't a market reality yet, but neither was the iPad when quite a few of us got excited about it, and even pre-ordered them based on hopes and trust.

I don't blame people for getting excited about the upcoming tablets. I'm very interested to see what they bring as well. But seriously, hashing over the old arguments is a complete waste of time, and a distraction from what is important.

Honeycomb tablets are coming. A second generation iPad is (almost) sure to s how up. Android and Apple fans can look forward to a very interesting year in tablets. Tablets have to be the fastest moving market at the moment. Let's all sit back and enjoy what is to come.

If nothing else we can (I hope) come up with some new arguments to parrot back and forth to each other.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Secondly, BT devices will pair to any computer with bluetooth. I pair my BT ear piece to my computer all of the time without any drivers. Never even heard of needing drivers for a bluetooth connection.

I don't know specifically about the jawbone, but you certainly can listen to music using BT headphones or BT ear pieces on Android.

Source for the Tim Cook quote that was miraculously close to yours that he said TODAY:
Was Tim Cook off base by calling Android tablets "scaled-up smartphones"? | PhoneDog

So, because of a superficial look the iPad and iPhone are identical? Wow, then why can't I run iPad apps on an iPhone....so strange. Oh yeah and why does the iPad have to basically emulate the iPhone to run its apps....Guess I'll go make a phone call on my iPad.

Google initially said themselves that Android was not made for tablets or laptops...that is why Chrome was made. So because I said the same thing as Tim Cook that makes it any less accurate?

iPad is a different OS and is gradually getting more and more differnt. Why do you think it has its own IPSW files. You can however install any android os onto an android tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts