What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you will consider an Android Tablet?

Will you consider purchasing an Android tablet?

• Yes! It will replace my iPad.

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Yes! But I'll keep my iPad too.

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • No! I'll keep my iPad.

Votes: 119 52.7%
  • Maybe. I have to use it before I decide.

Votes: 50 22.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone here actually own one of the Airstash units? All of the reviews I have seen for it have been fairly brutal.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited:

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Superbike81 - I can't help think that you seem to want your cake and eat it. My simple solution to you is that a tablet isn't, currently, the device for you - as even something like the Galaxy Tab has limited storage unless you want to carry around dozens of SD cards... Or an external HD - neither which are, IMO, an ideal solution for large amounts of data on the go.

I'm sure someone could make a tablet that can store large amounts of data, to be displayed on a lovely HD screen.. If you want to pay thousands for it.

As for an Android Tab... Currently, or in the near future - no thanks, it's the budget option (just like android phones) IMO, and as an overall package simply isn't as good as an iPad. There are too many supported versions of android, and the whole thing is a bit of an organisational mess as far as I can see. I'm not saying that won't change in the future.. But I don't think it will be any time soon.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Superbike81 - I can't help think that you seem to want your cake and eat it. My simple solution to you is that a tablet isn't, currently, the device for you - as even something like the Galaxy Tab has limited storage unless you want to carry around dozens of SD cards... Or an external HD - neither which are, IMO, an ideal solution for large amounts of data on the go.

I'm sure someone could make a tablet that can store large amounts of data, to be displayed on a lovely HD screen.. If you want to pay thousands for it.

As for an Android Tab... Currently, or in the near future - no thanks, it's the budget option (just like android phones) IMO, and as an overall package simply isn't as good as an iPad. There are too many supported versions of android, and the whole thing is a bit of an organisational mess as far as I can see. I'm not saying that won't change in the future.. But I don't think it will be any time soon.

How does less money + more functional than the iPad = a bad thing?

Dozens of SD cards? I'm not saying I want to carry around my entire 8TB HD movie/tv show collection, I'm just saying I want to be able to load several 720p (no reason to go higher for on screen resolution limitations) movies to watch on the long international flights I frequently go on. A single 32GB SD card will stay in the tablet, and if I feel I need more than that, it's not difficult to store an extra one somewhere with my things (even in my wallet).

How are the current top line Android phones any more "budget" than the iPhone 4? I'm sitting here right now at my desk at work, and my coworker has his iPhone 4 sitting right next to my Galaxy S, and they are both extremely good build quality, just his is more simple to use, but mine offers more customization to suit my needs.

The thing about the Android OS is, yes, there are several different versions still on the market, but they all work together extremely well. Sure, there will be some apps you can use on 2.3 that you can't use on 2.1 but I don't see that as anything but progress. Same thing is happening right now with the iPad, there are a few apps that will not work with both versions. Android 3.0+ will be the only officially supported Android tablet OS, anything else is meant for a phone. Please explain how the current devices are an organizational mess. If it's such a mess to you, CHANGE IT, you are given that freedom with Android OS.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't call myself pro/anti Android or iOS at this point. I do however see what people mean when they say Android is a bit of a mess right now. Take my wife's phone for instance. She has a Samsung Fascinate. The overall package is awesome. It has one of the nicest screens I have seen on a phone, it is built well, runs the OS as fast as anything I have seen.

The problem lies in OS updates. The phone is running Android 2.1 and some of the apps / websites my wife would like to run simply don't work on 2.1 (Weight Watchers for example). Samsung is shipping different phones with Android 2.2 (and perhaps 2.3 even) already, yet they have not updated most of their 2.1 devices. As far as I can tell they have no plans to do so and I have seen where they are holding off on updates to make the 2.2 and 2.3 (read: more expensive) devices more attractive.

The iOS devices obviously don't have this issue because they are all from a single source. It is true that older devices are being left behind which is unfortunate, but I guess at some point that is bound to happen with all devices. If the tablet market follows the same model I'm not sure I want anything to do with an Android model no matter what features it brings to the table.

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is true that older devices are being left behind which is unfortunate, but I guess at some point that is bound to happen with all devices. If the tablet market follows the same model I'm not sure I want anything to do with an Android model no matter what features it brings to the table.

thanks for this input. I wasn't aware of this. Apple certainly does have it's upsides. I am hoping thou that playbook will work out for blackberry and from what it looks like they certainly want to compete with apple so I doubt that they would let their reputation slip.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for this input. I wasn't aware of this. Apple certainly does have it's upsides. I am hoping thou that playbook will work out for blackberry and from what it looks like they certainly want to compete with apple so I doubt that they would let their reputation slip.

From a consumer's point of view, I hope we see high quality tablets on several platforms. The more competition there is out there the more we will get for the money. I just hope companies are smart about the products they release and don't simply go for the quick payoff. One benefit of the Blackberry device will be that it is also a single source tablet, so there won't be a worry about manufacturer specific OS updates. Then again, once a real tablet version of Android is available this might not be an issue either. I will be interested to see how close to stock Android those devices stick to.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They make AMAZING hardware combined with a poor to mediocre OS and allow developers to make AMAZING apps. Most consumers are willing to overlook to mediocre OS for the amazing hardware and software, as well as the "cool" factor.

I am in no way an Apple fanboy but I think it is almost laughable to call IOS poor to mediocre. Restricted, yes.

Defend iOS as an OS without once referencing a single APP that does not come with the base install. Compare it to Android while keeping apps completely out of the argument.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't call myself pro/anti Android or iOS at this point. I do however see what people mean when they say Android is a bit of a mess right now. Take my wife's phone for instance. She has a Samsung Fascinate. The overall package is awesome. It has one of the nicest screens I have seen on a phone, it is built well, runs the OS as fast as anything I have seen.

The problem lies in OS updates. The phone is running Android 2.1 and some of the apps / websites my wife would like to run simply don't work on 2.1 (Weight Watchers for example). Samsung is shipping different phones with Android 2.2 (and perhaps 2.3 even) already, yet they have not updated most of their 2.1 devices. As far as I can tell they have no plans to do so and I have seen where they are holding off on updates to make the 2.2 and 2.3 (read: more expensive) devices more attractive.

The iOS devices obviously don't have this issue because they are all from a single source. It is true that older devices are being left behind which is unfortunate, but I guess at some point that is bound to happen with all devices. If the tablet market follows the same model I'm not sure I want anything to do with an Android model no matter what features it brings to the table.

Your wife would ABSOLUTELY have the same issue on iOS, as iOS does not support flash at all. That is the only reason she cant access weight watchers, flash. When she gets the update, she WILL be able to access it, but never will be able to access it on iOS.

What app does she want to run that is 2.2 only? I have only run into a few, and they were ALL VERY VERY technical apps that require rooting that dealt with things that I really doubt your wife is messing with.

I have a samsung phone, and it IS frustrating as hell that its not updated at this point. Even so, it is the best phone on the market right now. Also, the community behind Android on XDA is ridiculous, and I have not found a single place that does half as much for any Apple device, which is frankly sad.

For example, after Samsung updates my Epic4g to Froyo officially, within a matter of a week or two XDA will port Gingerbread running flawlessly to my device. There is no need for carriers to update the phones, as a majority of the people wont even notice, and those that do have XDA to do it for them. Personally, I will take the bevy of features Android offers with the drawback of not having as good of official support as Apple anyday, especially because XDA exists to completely remedy the lack of official support.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

From a consumer's point of view, I hope we see high quality tablets on several platforms. The more competition there is out there the more we will get for the money. I just hope companies are smart about the products they release and don't simply go for the quick payoff. One benefit of the Blackberry device will be that it is also a single source tablet, so there won't be a worry about manufacturer specific OS updates. Then again, once a real tablet version of Android is available this might not be an issue either. I will be interested to see how close to stock Android those devices stick to.

Blackberry is already messing up the playbook, which is disappointing. They require a blackberry phone for BBM and email. I mean what the hell are they thinking??

Also, Honeycomb will be skinned by all of the manufacturers as usual. Its disappointing, but the design team of Android is coming at the problem from a completely unique direction. If you are interested, watch this:

Exclusive interview: Google's Matias Duarte talks Honeycomb, tablets, and the future of Android -- Engadget

It is very enlightening.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is not Samsung's fault that you guys haven't received the 2.2 update, it is the cell phone carrier's fault. The majority of the Samsung Galaxy S line of phone have received 2.2 worldwide. The only market left that is still waiting is most of the US market. So blame it on them, not on Samsung, they released 2.2 to the carriers a long time ago.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Blackberry is already messing up the playbook, which is disappointing. They require a blackberry phone for BBM and email. I mean what the hell are they thinking??

Also, Honeycomb will be skinned by all of the manufacturers as usual. Its disappointing, but the design team of Android is coming at the problem from a completely unique direction. If you are interested, watch this:

Exclusive interview: Google's Matias Duarte talks Honeycomb, tablets, and the future of Android -- Engadget

It is very enlightening.

From what I have been hearing, the Xoom will have a stock Android 3.0 build. They are saying that Motorola will not modify it at all, it will be plain old Honeycomb.

I haven't seen anything officially official, but that's the rumor mill right now.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your wife would ABSOLUTELY have the same issue on iOS, as iOS does not support flash at all. That is the only reason she cant access weight watchers, flash. When she gets the update, she WILL be able to access it, but never will be able to access it on iOS.

What app does she want to run that is 2.2 only? I have only run into a few, and they were ALL VERY VERY technical apps that require rooting that dealt with things that I really doubt your wife is messing with.

True on the Flash point, but of course WW has an app for iOS. It isn't the fault of Android that an app hasn't been made for the platform, but the 2.2 update would take care of that issue.

The app that she wants to run is some type of specialized medical application. I don't know if perhaps it also requires Flash support, but it runs under 2.2 and not 2.1.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It is very enlightening.

From what I have been hearing, the Xoom will have a stock Android 3.0 build. They are saying that Motorola will not modify it at all, it will be plain old Honeycomb.

I haven't seen anything officially official, but that's the rumor mill right now.

Yea, it most likely will, but a majority of the tablets will have some kind of skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts