What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I load my DVD movies on to the iPad?

JLStrange

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got a number of DVD movies I'd like to load onto my iPad but can't see how to get them in. iTunes doesn't seem to be setup for that (yet) but you can load in audio CDs and tracks. Any thoughts?

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes won't rip a DVD like it does a CD because there is copy protection on most DVDs. What you need to do is remove the copy protection and then encode the dvd in an iPad friendly format. It is a lot easier than it sounds ;).

I use a Mac and use a program called Mac the Ripper to remove the copy protection. I then use Handbrake to encode. I use the AppleTV preset since they both the iPad and the AppleTv support max 720p video. I am assuming that if it plays on an AppleTV, it will play on an iPad.

For PC, I used to use DVD Decrypter to remove the copy protection. It's been over 3 years since I had a PC so there may be better programs out now. Handbrake has a PC version so that should take care of the encode.

All the software I mention is free. Hope this helps.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad software conversion

iTunes won't rip a DVD like it does a CD because there is copy protection on most DVDs. What you need to do is remove the copy protection and then encode the dvd in an iPad friendly format. It is a lot easier than it sounds ;).

I use a Mac and use a program called Mac the Ripper to remove the copy protection. I then use Handbrake to encode. I use the AppleTV preset since they both the iPad and the AppleTv support max 720p video. I am assuming that if it plays on an AppleTV, it will play on an iPad.

For PC, I used to use DVD Decrypter to remove the copy protection. It's been over 3 years since I had a PC so there may be better programs out now. Handbrake has a PC version so that should take care of the encode.

Hi Wot it will be interesting for many people to have the link of the software you use, share the experience always made our knowledge grow up

OP
J

JLStrange

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply, I hadn't even thought about these things being encrypted, duh... I'll give it a try, will this enable the movies to load into iTunes for syncing with the iPad? I guess since we don't have them yet, we can't be sure. Thanks again for the reply.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not going to attempt to circumvent copyright protection on any media. It's not a political statement; I just don't think that it's right.

kattmoll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got a number of DVD movies I'd like to load onto my iPad but can't see how to get them in. iTunes doesn't seem to be setup for that (yet) but you can load in audio CDs and tracks. Any thoughts?

I find out a DVD to iPad Converter that is giving away on facebook, you may try out, I'm thinking it would help you load DVD to iPad. Just check out "Daniusoft" on facebook page, then you will get access to the giveaway, by the way, this giveaway ends in the end of August.

Most reactions