What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DVD Viewing on iPad

jcurl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times but I've searched and can't find it.

I have both an iPad 1 and 2 and run iTunes on both a WinXP and Win7.

What I need to know is, can I take a hard copy DVD that I have and somehow load it and view it on my IPad? I assume that I'll have to load it in my iTunes library and then sync it. Is such athing possible?

Thanks,

Jim

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you'll need a programme like Handbrake (its free) downloaded on your computer, this has presets for the iPad conversion. Then you can drag the resultant file into iTunes for syncing to your iPad.

The Archangel

The_teacher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Instead of converting using handbrake use avplayerhd in the app store - just add the files through iTunes and it's much quicker.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The_teacher said:
Instead of converting using handbrake use avplayerhd in the app store - just add the files through iTunes and it's much quicker.

This app won't work with DVDs,you will have to use handbrake as recommended.

Castalba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But does this Handbrake application preserve the quality of DVD video?

Last edited:

iPadFever1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think so... I don't know if I am using the wrong settings or something, but the quality is not as good as DVD.

iPad

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Castalba said:
But does this Handbrake application preserve the quality of DVD video?

Yes. Effectively it does, but you have to reencode and compress, so you are in effect lowering the quality to get the file size smaller. The notion is to do it in such a way that you won't notice the slightly lower quality of the reencoded video file. Note that many DVDs are close to 9GB in size (or over 5 or 6GB)...if you want to pack that down to fit on an iPad, then you have to give up something. The same thing goes with Blu-ray, many of which are upwards of 30GB in size. If you pack that down to less than 2GB, then you are losing some quality. But on a 10-inch screen, you can suffer some slight loss without serious impact to visual quality.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPadFever1 said:
I don't think so... I don't know if I am using the wrong settings or something, but the quality is not as good as DVD.

iPad

You surely do not know how to use the application if you believe this.

jimt29

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I like simple so I use Daniusoft DVD to MP4 Converter. I insert the DVD and it converts it to mp4. The only choice I have made is to use closed captioning or not. I've used it well over a hundred times and it has been flawless.

daniusoft1.jpg

The_teacher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This app won't work with DVDs,you will have to use handbrake as recommended.

Actually it will work with dvds, im sorry you are misinformed and have not had the opportunity to use avplayer hd. What needs to be done first is use anydvd to crack any possible protection issues, then rip the dvd using dvd shrink. Ive done it numerous times and loaded the video files(vob, avi) through the app in itunes. Handbrake is a waste of time, trust me quality is perfect rip.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually it will work with dvds, im sorry you are misinformed and have not had the opportunity to use avplayer hd. What needs to be done first is use anydvd to crack any possible protection issues, then rip the dvd using dvd shrink. Ive done it numerous times and loaded the video files(vob, avi) through the app in itunes. Handbrake is a waste of time, trust me quality is perfect rip.

I don't doubt that your method works, but I do disagree with your comment that handbrake is a waste of time. I like handbrake because I can play the files on other devices, not just an iPad. Not everything plays vob files.

I too am a fan of AVPlayerHD.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The_teacher said:

Your answer tells me it WON'T work directly with dvds,you have to remove the copy protection and rip the DVD with other programs first,before using anyplayer hd.This is hardly working directly with a dvd.Why do a process like your's requiring the use of three separate programs when handbrake is a stand alone program that does it all?

Last edited:

The_teacher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your answer tells me it WON'T work directly with dvds,you have to remove the copy protection and rip the DVD with other programs first,before using anyplayer hd.This is hardly working directly with a dvd.Why do a process like your's requiring the use of three separate programs when handbrake is a stand alone program that does it all?

Is that what the answer tells you? I'm sorry this is difficult for you to comprehend, any DVD runs in background, avplayer helps play many, many types of files and shrink simply pulls the file off the disc. The time it takes you to Decode and recode a file will take you far longer than it will for me and as far as I understand you still need a decrypter to break DVD copy protection while usinghandbrake.

iPadFever1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone give a good explanation on how to DVD to iPad 3 format, good quality?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iPadFever1 • Remember me!

Most reactions

Latest posts