What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with iphoto

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using this guide http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-by...-on-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-running-ios-5.0.1/ I have been able to download and install iPhoto, but it crashes after updating the library, anyone know why this is? When using the camera connection kit my iPad is displaying loads of weird file types that are unrecognised, I think this may have something to do with it but I am using pwntunes so guessing those files are relating to that? iMovie, pages etc works fine doing this but iPhoto will just not work. All apps have been officially purchased so its nothing to do with that.

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Did you upgrade to iOS 5.1 first? iPhoto probably uses features/APIs only present in 5.1.

I've seen similar articles about getting iMovie and iPhoto on an iPad 1 running iOS 5.1. I have yet to see an article on how well they run. Slow, I would guess, and best if used right after a restart.

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No as there was no need to be able to install iMovie.

Im guessing you suggestion is why it's not working!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, there's a reason they are 5.1 only, and whilst it appears you can hack iMovie and it will run, iPhoto is probably a step too far. It's never a good idea to do this unless you can be sure of what is happening under the covers.

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Yes, there's a reason they are 5.1 only, and whilst it appears you can hack iMovie and it will run, iPhoto is probably a step too far. It's never a good idea to do this unless you can be sure of what is happening under the covers.

apparently when an app is downloaded if it has a software restriction it will do a check on the systemversion.plist, hence why when you edit that file the AppStore says yes it's 5.1 ok to install, but I hear what your saying editing any system files is risky, especially when the 5.0.1 iOS window has now closed!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see there is a fix in Cydia tonight which is supposed to fix iPhoto running on JB 5.0.1. You might want to try it out...

Last edited:
OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
I see there is a fix in Cydia tonight which is supposed to fix iPhoto running on JB 5.0.1. You might want to try it out...

awesome thanks! and it works!

Last edited by a moderator:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cydia has a really good search you know ;) iPhoto would be a good thing to try :D
But if you really need to be spoon fed, the package is called "iPhoto501Fix". Enjoy.

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did try searching, sorry I put you through all that trouble of posting it.

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Using this guide How To Bypass iOS 5.1 Restriction When Installing iMovie v1.3 On iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Running iOS 5.0.1 | Redmond Pie I have been able to download and install iPhoto, but it crashes after updating the library, anyone know why this is? When using the camera connection kit my iPad is displaying loads of weird file types that are unrecognised, I think this may have something to do with it but I am using pwntunes so guessing those files are relating to that? iMovie, pages etc works fine doing this but iPhoto will just not work. All apps have been officially purchased so its nothing to do with that.

Thanks

Oh the joy! I just updated following the tutorial at Redmond Pie and dl'd iPhoto and installed the fix from Cydia. Fabulous! It worked for me. I have read that this will not survive a sync in the iPad 1 and am wonderind if, since I edited the .plist in iFile, will this now survive a sync? Thanks to all the folks who bring us all this jailbroken goodness!

Cheers, Dan:eek:

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is great...that red 1 on the app store was doing my head. Imovie updated :)

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bad news...a couple of hours after I did this, my ipad went mad and started like trying to restart without achieving it...long story short, I had to upgrade in tears to 5.1...I am devastated...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
f4780y said:
It's never a good idea to do this unless you can be sure of what is happening under the covers.

Folks should take heed. The two users above this post have both lost their jailbreak as a result of this hack. Don't do this unless you understand what the consequences are and don't blindly click "Confirm" in Cydia without reading what it is about to do...!

Corona is dependant on IOS 5.0.1. Cydia will try to remove it with disastrous consequences, if you hack your iPad2 to make it think it's got 5.1 on it!

iPad2 jailbreaks are precious things. You need to look after them! ;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts