What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great iPad Review

tuanmai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

If you're still on the fence about buying an ipad.. or having a hard time deciding what you would use it for you might find this article interesting.

One of the things they are saying is that it's similar to an iphone in that its value will definitely increase over time as new updates and apps come out for it but at the moment its missing too many things to be a laptop replacement... what do you think? any ipad owners have an opinion on this?

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely not a laptop replacement, this is a new breed, a totally new category but in my opinion much more useful then an iPhone because of the size.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Definitely not a laptop replacement, this is a new breed, a totally new category but in my opinion much more useful then an iPhone because of the size.

i Agree with you iPad will never replace a laptop or a netbook at 100% (but he will kick them out)

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i looked at a something to replace the iphone and it apps on it in my daily travel for me it a basicly a gaint screen verison of the iphone in some sense .it keeps my library programs and game applications and mp3 music on it along with beening easly to read sceen that the iphone screen on the applications ..the unit is easly to use and easly to keep with you for basic daily use of the unit ..i sit down in the coffee shop this morning and used it to check email and send email and surf the few websites i like and it works great for that chore that i ask of it in that area. ..

it replace the following units i used to take with me on trips for work -x-1-ipod-2-laptop computer for personal use-3-netbook that i keep in my bad weather get out of town bag with a 32.gb sized unit along with the basic items i keeped with the netbook..

it free up a lot of space on my iphone in it drive and the phone seams to working a lot better now

it knocked down the wieght i carry around on daily travels for personal and work areas down to less than 5.pds total .. along with switching to a desktop unit for all my basic computer need ..

he dead on about some of the things when it comes to fringer prints on the screen but a cleaning cloth takes care of that ..along with the screen protector unit ..the egdes do not bother me for i have a hardshell case on the unit ..

typeing is a pain in the butt and i looking around for a protable folding keyboard unit that can be used with the unit..

the review was fair and honest about the unit..the Wifi issuse to me is about the router make and model that you are using ..

and yes there is allways issuse with the first gen of a product ..but iam not asking to do a advanced things on like a laptop i asking of it to basic simple things like a game play some music surf the web etc etc..

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i looked at a something to replace the iphone and it apps on it in my daily travel for me it a basicly a gaint screen verison of the iphone in some sense .it keeps my library programs and game applications and mp3 music on it along with beening easly to read sceen that the iphone screen on the applications ..the unit is easly to use and easly to keep with you for basic daily use of the unit ..i sit down in the coffee shop this morning and used it to check email and send email and surf the few websites i like and it works great for that chore that i ask of it in that area. ..

it replace the following units i used to take with me on trips for work -x-1-ipod-2-laptop computer for personal use-3-netbook that i keep in my bad weather get out of town bag with a 32.gb sized unit along with the basic items i keeped with the netbook..

it free up a lot of space on my iphone in it drive and the phone seams to working a lot better now

it knocked down the wieght i carry around on daily travels for personal and work areas down to less than 5.pds total .. along with switching to a desktop unit for all my basic computer need ..

he dead on about some of the things when it comes to fringer prints on the screen but a cleaning cloth takes care of that ..along with the screen protector unit ..the egdes do not bother me for i have a hardshell case on the unit ..

typeing is a pain in the butt and i looking around for a protable folding keyboard unit that can be used with the unit..

the review was fair and honest about the unit..the Wifi issuse to me is about the router make and model that you are using ..

and yes there is allways issuse with the first gen of a product ..but iam not asking to do a advanced things on like a laptop i asking of it to basic simple things like a game play some music surf the web etc etc..

That a clear a realistic review from a real and honest user, it’s clear the iPad is not the top perfect one (if that exist) but he will replace notebook for many and various use we have now with our notebook …

as i say a new era in computing is coming

Last edited:

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iam not asking it to write multi layer software code or run the multi layer software code programs as it test the code for problems ..all iam doing it asking it do basic simple chores for me ..i write code all day long some days and really think that for all the advacement in computer areas ..we are takeing a back step in other areas..for i do not try to do work at home for that is major burn out problem for me ..when i come home i want to basic watch tv eat and surf the net and go to bed and get up and do the same ground hog day type of life we do ..

for a lot of people in the person are calling the laptop killer along with will it replace the person laptop or netbook unit ..to me yes in a way but it more of a way a person can use the unit .

.most of the personal computer use in the home is geared toward basic internet surfing along with reading and checking e-mails and sending email daily and online buys. for the person who owns the computer ...

for most people that what the computer is used for in the house..only few user of the computer fall into the socalled area of the hardcore gamer user with the heavy duty computer set up for game playing along with online playing ..

my new desktop is used for two roles in the apt ..1-it for basic use of the computer for internet use along with reading emails and sending emails and online buying of items i want ..2-it now doubles as the tv unit for it i run a usb unit for cable tv to be hooked up to the computer and it allows me to watch tv as it need. for i record the shows i like on the dvr unit and then watch them at a later time when i come home from work ..for i had moved into a small studio apt and was needing a way to save space ..

apple gear the unit for most people who are not as tech savy as some of the younger kids ..as i was showing the unit to the older gentlemen and his wife there in buger king the wife goes it that simple i can use it..for most people over the age of 55 are not really tech savy as the younger people who grew up with the computers and cell phones ..

you going to see a lot more older people with this unit for it going to be the one unit that is geared more towards them..

yes us techno freaks are still going to be the ones going iam got to have the latest tech along with beening the kid on the block with the best shiny new toy for everyone else to see..

maueze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still wanted to buy ipad and the every upgrades of ipad to comes, coz my point here , i can bring it anywhere. Unlike laptop or netbook they give you some burden to carry, which is pretty not good

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to admit, that since I have my iPad, I only use my MacBook Pro for the things, which don't work on the iPad, i.e. Lotus-Notes, or intense work on office documents.

And the other stuff is just preparing and transferring content up on my iPad.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Testing the iPad’s Trip-Worthiness
SIGN IN TO RECOMMEND
TWITTER
COMMENTS
(42)
SIGN IN TO E-MAIL
PRINT
REPRINTS

By BOB TEDESCHI
Published: April 25, 2010
IF you plan on vacationing in the near future, you should be ready to share an airplane ride with at least a few preening iPad owners. Whether you should succumb to gadget envy or not depends on just what type of traveler you are.

Enlarge This Image

Julia Kuo
Readers' Comments
Share your thoughts.
Post a Comment »
Read All Comments (42) »
I haven’t had the chance to road test the iPad while vacationing, but after two solid weeks spent testing it on a virtual vacation — a multi-continent jaunt through backwoods, beach and city without leaving my couch — here’s my verdict: if you have an extra $500 to $700 to spend on one, plus another $100 or so for some great apps, it’s worth the plunge.

And now the caveat. You will adore the iPad when you’re in transit and in the hotel room. You’ll have far less use for the thing when you head for the beach, or a city walking tour, or a roadside diner. But more on its weaknesses later.

To name just a few of its advantages as a travel companion: it is a portable (and free) library, word processor, Web browser, translator, park guide, weather forecaster and travel agent, not to mention a great distraction during a long flight.

And yes, you can say the same thing about the humble laptop you already own, but chances are that laptop weighs more than the iPad’s 1.5 pounds. The Transportation Security Administration has also given the iPad a pass of sorts; unlike laptops, they do not necessarily need to be removed from carry-on bags and placed in separate trays when you go through security.

As most people know by now, the current version of the iPad connects to the Web only through a wireless Internet, or Wi-Fi connection. By the end of April a new 3G version will be available, for between $629 and $829, which will also allow users to connect through AT&T Wireless domestically and abroad. Serious travelers whose trips don’t revolve around hotels with free Wi-Fi will probably want to wait for that because using the iPad’s location-specific apps in one’s car isn’t possible without a cellphone connection.

Other considerations include the fact that the device does not include a camera, so while travelers can use it to make cheap calls through Skype and other services, video chats aren’t possible.

And business travelers shouldn’t ditch their laptops just yet. Apple sells $10 iPad apps for word processing (Notes), spreadsheets (Numbers) and presentations (Keynote), among others, but some users have complained that these apps are not yet a match for Microsoft’s Office software. Typing on the iPad’s touch screen is also a chore.

But for those who want to spend their vacations consuming information rather than creating it, the iPad might be ideal, especially with a handful of apps that will make the iPad considerably more useful while on the road.

The roughly 185,000 iPhone apps will work on the iPad, but when you enlarge the image to fill the iPad screen, the resolution suffers. A much smaller universe of 3,500 iPad-specific apps awaits, usually with the Pro or HD designation. Although these apps are typically pricier than those for the iPhone, they are usually worth it.

And some are even free. Take, for instance, the one for Kayak, which in the iPad version offers a less cluttered page design than the Web version and finger-size buttons to take advantage of the iPad’s touch screen. For an otherwise click-intensive process like travel planning, it’s a real treat.

FlightTrack Pro ($10) will show a plane’s location in almost real time, and alert you with a pop-up message if your flight is delayed or canceled. If you’re tracking someone else’s flight, you can watch the flight’s path superimposed on a weather map so you can see it veer away from trouble.

Zoom in more, and the screen reveals what the travelers might see if they looked out the airplane window. Users can also zoom in on the arrival terminal to plan a pick-up.

But it is while waiting at the gate, or being anywhere you can simply hang out with the iPad, that you can use it for what it’s truly great for — games and movies. Try a game like Flight Control HD ($5), an air traffic control contest; AirCoaster Pro ($2), a stunning 3-D roller coaster simulator; Scrabble ($10); or soccer (Real Soccer 2010 HD, for $7). The screen reacts to tilts and twists, and allows for multi-player action, in ways that are unlike any other device on the market.

Movies look great on an iPad — assuming you’ve cleaned off any fingerprints — and the supply of videos is endless if you have a Web connection and an app like Joost (free video-browsing iPad app), or a subscription to Netflix and its free iPad app. You can also download movies, of course, through iTunes. (The battery lasts a solid 10 hours.)

As a music player, the iPad (and its screen) adds a dimension to the experience that your puny iPod can’t match. Tune in to a personalized radio station and read about the musicians (with the free Pandora iPad app), for instance, or create a tune with Magic Piano ($1).

And yes, it’s a great e-book reader. There are multiple apps (almost all free), including Apple’s iBooks and Amazon’s Kindle. Both sell best sellers for around $10, but they also provide free access to thousands of classics, like “Huckleberry Finn,” “Anna Karenina” and the complete works of Shakespeare.

The list of possibilities goes on, but suffice it to say the iPad is very likely the best technological fix yet for travel tedium, and allows you to leave books and DVDs behind.

Once you’ve arrived at your destination, the iPad’s story is more of a mixed bag.

Unless you wait for the 3G version, you will need Wi-Fi hot-spot finders, like Open WiFi Spots HD ($4) or Wi-Fi Finder (free), to plan your next login point. Easy enough.

And while city guides (like those from Lonely Planet or Frommer’s) are nice to carry in an iPad or a mobile phone because they can save space, none of these gadgets allows you to make your own annotations.

For food, Zagat to Go ($10, for the iPad) covers 34 mostly domestic destinations, with a nifty location-specific search function and the ability to reserve tables. But in this category the apps show limited range so far. For food advice in cities like Berlin, Buenos Aires or Beijing, you’ll need to consult the Web.

Many apps, in fact, are not much better than their corresponding Web sites, and in many other realms beyond food the apps are far less comprehensive than what you would find online.

This from NY Times

The iPad makes a perfectly good Web browser, though, so if you can get an Internet connection, you can always enter itinerary notes on the device and use that as your guide.

Unless, that is, your itinerary includes the beach, where the bright light largely renders the screen unreadable, and where concerns about thieves, sunblock and sand will probably outweigh any benefits the iPad might bring. So if you’re heading for the sand and surf, make sure you have something else to brag about.

Next Article in Travel (6 of 19) »
Times Reader 2.0: Daily delivery of The Times - straight to your computer. Subscribe for just $4.62 a week.

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Testing the iPad’s Trip-Worthiness
SIGN IN TO RECOMMEND
TWITTER
COMMENTS
(42)
SIGN IN TO E-MAIL
PRINT
REPRINTS

By BOB TEDESCHI
Published: April 25, 2010
IF you plan on vacationing in the near future, you should be ready to share an airplane ride with at least a few preening iPad owners. Whether you should succumb to gadget envy or not depends on just what type of traveler you are.

Enlarge This Image

Julia Kuo
Readers' Comments
Share your thoughts.
Post a Comment »
Read All Comments (42) »
I haven’t had the chance to road test the iPad while vacationing, but after two solid weeks spent testing it on a virtual vacation — a multi-continent jaunt through backwoods, beach and city without leaving my couch — here’s my verdict: if you have an extra $500 to $700 to spend on one, plus another $100 or so for some great apps, it’s worth the plunge.

And now the caveat. You will adore the iPad when you’re in transit and in the hotel room. You’ll have far less use for the thing when you head for the beach, or a city walking tour, or a roadside diner. But more on its weaknesses later.

To name just a few of its advantages as a travel companion: it is a portable (and free) library, word processor, Web browser, translator, park guide, weather forecaster and travel agent, not to mention a great distraction during a long flight.

And yes, you can say the same thing about the humble laptop you already own, but chances are that laptop weighs more than the iPad’s 1.5 pounds. The Transportation Security Administration has also given the iPad a pass of sorts; unlike laptops, they do not necessarily need to be removed from carry-on bags and placed in separate trays when you go through security.

As most people know by now, the current version of the iPad connects to the Web only through a wireless Internet, or Wi-Fi connection. By the end of April a new 3G version will be available, for between $629 and $829, which will also allow users to connect through AT&T Wireless domestically and abroad. Serious travelers whose trips don’t revolve around hotels with free Wi-Fi will probably want to wait for that because using the iPad’s location-specific apps in one’s car isn’t possible without a cellphone connection.

Other considerations include the fact that the device does not include a camera, so while travelers can use it to make cheap calls through Skype and other services, video chats aren’t possible.

And business travelers shouldn’t ditch their laptops just yet. Apple sells $10 iPad apps for word processing (Notes), spreadsheets (Numbers) and presentations (Keynote), among others, but some users have complained that these apps are not yet a match for Microsoft’s Office software. Typing on the iPad’s touch screen is also a chore.

But for those who want to spend their vacations consuming information rather than creating it, the iPad might be ideal, especially with a handful of apps that will make the iPad considerably more useful while on the road.

The roughly 185,000 iPhone apps will work on the iPad, but when you enlarge the image to fill the iPad screen, the resolution suffers. A much smaller universe of 3,500 iPad-specific apps awaits, usually with the Pro or HD designation. Although these apps are typically pricier than those for the iPhone, they are usually worth it.

And some are even free. Take, for instance, the one for Kayak, which in the iPad version offers a less cluttered page design than the Web version and finger-size buttons to take advantage of the iPad’s touch screen. For an otherwise click-intensive process like travel planning, it’s a real treat.

FlightTrack Pro ($10) will show a plane’s location in almost real time, and alert you with a pop-up message if your flight is delayed or canceled. If you’re tracking someone else’s flight, you can watch the flight’s path superimposed on a weather map so you can see it veer away from trouble.

Zoom in more, and the screen reveals what the travelers might see if they looked out the airplane window. Users can also zoom in on the arrival terminal to plan a pick-up.

But it is while waiting at the gate, or being anywhere you can simply hang out with the iPad, that you can use it for what it’s truly great for — games and movies. Try a game like Flight Control HD ($5), an air traffic control contest; AirCoaster Pro ($2), a stunning 3-D roller coaster simulator; Scrabble ($10); or soccer (Real Soccer 2010 HD, for $7). The screen reacts to tilts and twists, and allows for multi-player action, in ways that are unlike any other device on the market.

Movies look great on an iPad — assuming you’ve cleaned off any fingerprints — and the supply of videos is endless if you have a Web connection and an app like Joost (free video-browsing iPad app), or a subscription to Netflix and its free iPad app. You can also download movies, of course, through iTunes. (The battery lasts a solid 10 hours.)

As a music player, the iPad (and its screen) adds a dimension to the experience that your puny iPod can’t match. Tune in to a personalized radio station and read about the musicians (with the free Pandora iPad app), for instance, or create a tune with Magic Piano ($1).

And yes, it’s a great e-book reader. There are multiple apps (almost all free), including Apple’s iBooks and Amazon’s Kindle. Both sell best sellers for around $10, but they also provide free access to thousands of classics, like “Huckleberry Finn,†“Anna Karenina†and the complete works of Shakespeare.

The list of possibilities goes on, but suffice it to say the iPad is very likely the best technological fix yet for travel tedium, and allows you to leave books and DVDs behind.

Once you’ve arrived at your destination, the iPad’s story is more of a mixed bag.

Unless you wait for the 3G version, you will need Wi-Fi hot-spot finders, like Open WiFi Spots HD ($4) or Wi-Fi Finder (free), to plan your next login point. Easy enough.

And while city guides (like those from Lonely Planet or Frommer’s) are nice to carry in an iPad or a mobile phone because they can save space, none of these gadgets allows you to make your own annotations.

For food, Zagat to Go ($10, for the iPad) covers 34 mostly domestic destinations, with a nifty location-specific search function and the ability to reserve tables. But in this category the apps show limited range so far. For food advice in cities like Berlin, Buenos Aires or Beijing, you’ll need to consult the Web.

Many apps, in fact, are not much better than their corresponding Web sites, and in many other realms beyond food the apps are far less comprehensive than what you would find online.

This from NY Times

The iPad makes a perfectly good Web browser, though, so if you can get an Internet connection, you can always enter itinerary notes on the device and use that as your guide.

Unless, that is, your itinerary includes the beach, where the bright light largely renders the screen unreadable, and where concerns about thieves, sunblock and sand will probably outweigh any benefits the iPad might bring. So if you’re heading for the sand and surf, make sure you have something else to brag about.

Next Article in Travel (6 of 19) »
Times Reader 2.0: Daily delivery of The Times - straight to your computer. Subscribe for just $4.62 a week.

Now that is what I call a detailed review.

I can honestly admit that I have had some of these ideas individually but soon forget them.

This was very good.

Thank you.

Cya

laurenriya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
ipadtouchfans.info
You know what? the ipad actually have pro an cons. I agree it can beats iphone in term of size. This is useful especially when you want to read some novel, news. iphone you need to use your 2 fingers zoom in and out.

Cons..can't think right now, i guess is the prize :)

Most reactions

Latest posts