What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Galaxy Tab Review

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to disagree. I think Win 7 Phone OS or Zune OS based tablets are going to be the only real competition. It is the only mobile OS (CE Based of course) that has the same velvet feel to it while using it. Everything is fluid and smooth, whereas everything android is chunky and choppy no matter how much power you throw at it!

I will be very interested to see MS put out a tablet computer with a mobile OS on it, since it is very finger friendly in ways that Win7 is not!

Also MS is being extremely particular about what hardware Win7Phone will be allowed to run on....while android is open to any and all hardware no matter how pathetic they are and no matter how horrible the hardware vendor is about implementing it and updating it (im looking at you motorola!!)

Keep your eyes open, this is going to be a new age for both Apple and MS.

I guess I have to disagree with your disagreement :D

I don't find everything to be "velvet" on my Ipad, and I find the Android tablets I have played with (Galaxy and Archos) to be pretty much just as smooth. I notice much more lag on my Ipad when surfing Netflix (via the app) or other busy websites than I do on my PC and that same lag is there on the Android devices. I can live with it considering the low powered architectures running these devices but when I want a really smooth experience I still hop on my PC.

Other than that I agree with your assessment. Android will have to fight crappy hardware implementations for some time to come.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to disagree. I think Win 7 Phone OS or Zune OS based tablets are going to be the only real competition. It is the only mobile OS (CE Based of course) that has the same velvet feel to it while using it. Everything is fluid and smooth, whereas everything android is chunky and choppy no matter how much power you throw at it!

I will be very interested to see MS put out a tablet computer with a mobile OS on it, since it is very finger friendly in ways that Win7 is not!

Also MS is being extremely particular about what hardware Win7Phone will be allowed to run on....while android is open to any and all hardware no matter how pathetic they are and no matter how horrible the hardware vendor is about implementing it and updating it (im looking at you motorola!!)

Keep your eyes open, this is going to be a new age for both Apple and MS.

I guess I have to disagree with your disagreement :D

I don't find everything to be "velvet" on my Ipad, and I find the Android tablets I have played with (Galaxy and Archos) to be pretty much just as smooth. I notice much more lag on my Ipad when surfing Netflix (via the app) or other busy websites than I do on my PC and that same lag is there on the Android devices. I can live with it considering the low powered architectures running these devices but when I want a really smooth experience I still hop on my PC.

Other than that I agree with your assessment. Android will have to fight crappy hardware implementations for some time to come.

Its onle fair to note as well that 3rd party apps can't be used to judge an OS or the speed of the device. Doesn't matter how flawless an OS a poorly developed app will lag/crash.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its onle fair to note as well that 3rd party apps can't be used to judge an OS or the speed of the device. Doesn't matter how flawless an OS a poorly developed app will lag/crash.

That is a good point. Using the Netflix app was probably a poor choice on my part. I guess I should have said the web performance on every mobile device I have tried to this point is somewhat underwhelming to me. Then again, the convenience of being able to access the web on a mobile device more than makes up for the lack of speed so I consider it a worthy trade-off.

Rcairncross76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the biggest issue with the galaxy tab is that there are no tablet specific apps so the screen space is wasted IMO. That's what I love about my iPad the apps are designed for the iPad and no other devices so they use all of the hardware seamlessly.

Nightstar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google has said dont use any android for any tablet. Unless you have a 3G in it, the tablet wont have access to the store. You have access to the iTunes store with the non 3G iPad!

When you add in the real cost, what you get etc. the Tab is just not worth it.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The lag fix really helps on my Samsung Vibrant..I have an Ipad and really want a galaxy tab..I have not played with one yet..but I have it's little brother and love it so much I have 2. I really wish the iPad was more wide screen and had 512mb ram...not sure if I'll convert cause of size but I'm tempted!

I love widescreen devices but I'm glad the iPad has the 4:3 ratio screen - it just works better in landscape with the keyboard up - the widescreen devices lose too much viewable screen when the keyboard is up.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

That is such garbage BS. This thread is full of it. I have an Epic 4g and it is at LEAST as smooth as the ipad. Web browsing on the phone is MUCH smoother than the iPad I own. The only reason people feel that their Android devices are choppy is because they have 30 widgets and live wallpaper running. Set up a phone or tablet with just a bunch of icons like the iPad, and it will be at least as smooth.

Also, with regards to web browsing, I am not sure of the Galaxy Tab, but since its pretty much a larger version of my phone I am fairly certain, it has text wrap while browsing the web. That is it reflows the text instantly to fit the screen no matter how much or little you zoom in. It fits the most text on the screen so that you dont have to scroll around like an idiot.

Also, you cannot offer a competent review by playing with one in store for a few minutes.

Edit: I have seen this as a trend for MONTHS now. Apple fanboys have been praising Win7Phone like its going out of style. Its pretty obvious that its just an attempt to downplay android as a serious competitor, when it certainly is. Win7Phone is garbage at this point. It could evolve into something great, but right now its awful. I have owned Windows Mobile phones for YEARS and I loved them, but what Microsoft has now is embarrassing. They are YEARS behind both iOS and Android. The phones they are pumping out are nice, but are crippled just like iOS devices, especially with their microsd disaster. The UI is ugly as sin and is just as limiting and annoying as iOS. Right now, they are WAAAY behind Android and iOS.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts