What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Reviews

whatevers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to this site and I originally joined to see if there are some great tips and tricks that could be found. I would consider myself highly technical and did major research before purchasing. With that being said, the iPad has some flaws and there have been many of my colleagues and friends that have returned or sold their devices because of the what they feel is missing from the iPad.

It seems that this forum is a lovefest for the iPad. People that share their disappointment with the device are called stupid or other names.

I enjoy my iPad. I use it to read books and magazine...but other than that it's a toy. It's just my opinion. I'd like to hear from people who agree.

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In regards to this forum being a "lovefest for the iPad," maybe yes. I don't think I've heard of a site that exists only to criticize and pour hatred on a product, but something like that probably exists.

I don't believe I've seen anyone called stupid or other names for creating threads moaning about missing features of the iPad. I think it's just that the majority of us get tired of people who don't appear to do their research before purchase and then spend their time creating an account and whining and moaning about missing features that most likely will not get added anytime soon.

I love my iPad, it's great. It does whatever I need it to do and it does it without Flash, arrow keys, Java, orientation lock button, etc.

Improvise, adapt and overcome, that's how you get enjoyment out of something with a few shortcomings.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Would you like to hear from someone who doesn't agree?

I find that there really is an "app for that" to get around any of the minor annoyances that one experiences in the locked-down iOS world.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does as needed. I don't consider it a toy, however I'm sure my lifestyle is different from yours.

Some things people just don't understand, like the world doesn't have the same lifestyle as the OP. And this can come off as negative to people.

How are you going to tell me a iPad doesnt function well as a business tool, type deal.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems that the people who are most disappointed with the iPad are those who are "technologically literate". Their disappointment is based more on what they think the iPad should be rather than using it for its intended purpose, which is as a "consumption device". Of course the stuff Apple want's you to consume comes from... Apple!

I didn't want an iPad to replace a "real computer". If that was your intention, it is no wonder you are disappointed. My primary reason for wanting an iPad was to do the things I was doing on my iPod Touch but on a larger format which for the most part, is reading books and stuff like that.

Just because it does not do everything that a "real computer" will do does not mean it is a toy, but it definitely is a luxury item.

YMMV!

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with the point that it is a luxury item, but for me, it is sure one handy one! And with the plethora of apps, (both paid as well as FREE), I am finding that I am using it much more than I expected. Not just reading books, surfing the web, playing games, but annotating PDF files to study things for my job, taking a quick note at work or home, creating PDF files. It's doing what I would use my netbook for but even smoother, and with superb battery life. I am not an IT professional, but I'm pretty tech savvy; I'm no novice with computers. In fact, as I think about it, it's less luxury and just plain useful for me. Do I think it can do EVERYTHING? No, of course not. But I don't own anything that does every single solitary thing one could ever think of. The Flash thing has been beaten to death and beyond-it's well known it doesn't have it, and any other things people wish it had, well, people don't need to buy it then-it's a choice. iPad's specs are known. Anyone can Google to see does it do such and such. As mentioned, I too have found apps that add function I never expected to have.

Last edited:

SeoChampion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Product: Apple Ipad
Website: Apple - iPad - See the web, email, and photos like never before.
Specifications: 9.7-inch IPS touch screen, Apple A4 1GHz processor, 16GB internal flash storage, WiFi (802.11a/b/g/n) and Bluetooth 2.1 with EDR, 3.5mm headphone jack, microphone
Price: From $499 in US (around £400 dependant on state taxes, exchange rates and excluding shipping); UK price yet to be announced

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, it is a toy (for me, for others I cannot make such a statement). There isn't a single work related task that I can perform with my iPad. So what? It being such a cool and fun toy is enough for me!

bobmielke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
bobmielke.smugmug.com
I am a photographer, computer geek & motorcyclist. These three hobbies mesh well together. I just bought an Pad to display my photos, send emails and post photos to photography forums. I've only had my iPad 24 hours but I can already tell it will suit my needs very well thank you. I have three computers on my apartment's wi-fi network network plus a Kindle. I live in a 182 sq. ft. studio apartment where every inch DOES matter. I bought the iPad because it does what I want it to do very well. :)

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I could not disagree more with the opinion expressed by the OP.

I am a retired university professor. After retirement, I moved to a small town in Oregon, and that presented grave problems for continuing my research work in electromagnetic field theory and mathematics because I am so far removed from good library facilities.

I was using my laptop to access my research library on-line, but the iPad has freed me up like nothing ever before! I download papers and books, read them (primarily using Good Reader), and work out the math equations and do math derivations in handwriting using Note Taker HD.

I just returned from a three week vacation chasing warm weather in southern California, and was able to continue my work there without a hitch---because I was able to take my entire technical library with me on my iPad! And I was also able, via the internet, to continue to do literature searches and download references.

Certainly not a toy for me, but a lifesaver! A true productivity tool that follows me around all day like a little doggie!

Of course, I do take a work break now and again (too often!) to read the day's news, listen to streaming jazz, or watch a video. Guess someone might consider that to be using it as a toy, but I don't.

The very best piece of technology I have seen in many years---and I hesitated a long time to buy one because I, too, thought it was "only a toy"!

Mias13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am fairly new ton the world if iPad. Do I see it as a luxury? Yes. Is it something that is practical in normal everyday situations? Yes. I had a very profound hate towards the iPad, claiming it was "too big" or " useless" but since getting one I cant find a reason not to use it. It fits in to my everyday life. I love it. Toss it in my messenger bag and just go. I'm very tech savvy and make it a point to own lots of gadgets and toys. My iPad funny enough isn a great compliment to my samsung galaxy s 4g. With my combo of android and iOS I'm virtually a walking tech center. It does come down to what your every day routine looks like but i don't see how the iPad can't benefit everyone in one way shape or form

bobmielke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
bobmielke.smugmug.com
Mias13 - I couldn't agree more with what you just said. I thought of dozens of reasons why the iPad was overpriced compared to a netbook. I owned an Acer Aspire One with a good sized hard drive. To me the iPad was an expensive gadget with a cool Touchy Feely interface. Now that I own one that couldn't be farther from the truth. I carry it everywhere. It's lightning fast, tremendous battery life and able to do anything a PC can do. I'm a photographer that now stores all my photos online in SmugMug. I can access any of them instantly and copy/paste them in emails, Pages documents or just show them on the beautiful screen. I use Whistle VOIP telephone to call anywhere in the United States for free. I use iSwifter to watch online streaming tutorials as well as HULU video & movies without Flash player. I have my photographs uploaded to my SmugMug site as well as my iPad with a Eye-Fi memory card. I even store all my music, over 1800 songs, to the Adobe Cloud. Who needs a hard drive?

Most reactions