What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Galaxy Tab Review

Alanfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay. It's hard not to say this will be a completely unbiased review of the Galaxy Tab since I'm a quite happy iPad owner. But here goes.

I went down to the T-Mobile store on a Sunday morning and planted myself down with the store demo they had out. It was great since I was the only customer they had for a good hour and half. The sales guy was so bored he just about did every thing I asked him to do. I was actually prepared to buy one and take it home so I could really play with it but having that time in the store pretty much gave me everything I needed.

My initial thoughts when I saw the Tab was wow it's better than I imagined. The screen display looked great especially since the wallpaper was this sea reef type scene with a ripple water effect that was quite stunning. The apps were displayed just like the iPad and flipping through the pages was every bit like the iPad. The speed was very good with no real delays. The size felt good in my hand and I began thinking it would be easier to carry than my iPad.
As I began to really get into it I began to change my mind. I started to surf the web and sure enough one of the concerns I had was still there. I have had a number of UMPC with the 7 inch screen and it was always too small to see an entire web page. On the UMPC it was such a pain to be constantly using the arrow keys to move around that they both are sitting in the bottom drawer of my night stand. I was hoping that the ability of the touchscreen was moving around would be so much easier that it would solve this. The problem with the Tab is that when a full web page is displayed you can't read anything. You have to tap or pinch to just read a little to see what each section has so you can decided if you want to read it or not. With the iPad I can read the small print even with the full web page is displayed. When I tap an area to really read it I know what's there. After surfing for about 15 minutes I could see myself getting a little frustrated and would probably go and get my laptop if I really needed something. Another thing that I've started using my iPad for is general note taking in business meetings. I really don't have much of a problem typing basic notes on the iPad. I'm a hunt and peck typing guy so having the iPad propped up and typing works fine. The iPad size is actually a plus. When trying to imagine using the Tab in a similar situation I began to feel it would look like the one time I went into a meeting with my Palm and folding keyboard. It took me 6 months to live that down and I was the boss. Lastly, the one thing that I really have become very fond of the iPad is late at night in bed. I'm basically fully recline with the ipad propped on my stomach and surfing the web which the iPad excels at since the little times that I need to enter text, the keyboard is up and lit. With my laptop I would have to sit up so I could look down at the keys to type. Also, for what ever reason my wife is less bothered if I'm laying down vs. sitting up.
Bottom line, after evaluating the three ways I actually use the iPad, I can't imagine replacing it with the Tab. Even the thought of carrying it around, after I get a case for it I can't stick it in my pocket unless I'm wearing my overcoat which doesn't happen in sunny California. It really starts to feel like the Tab is more of a large iPhone than a more compact iPad.
I believe the Tab will probably sell okay but for me it would probably end up with the UMPC's in my bottom nightstand drawer

Davidmacpherson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
... I began to feel it would look like the one time I went into a meeting with my Palm and folding keyboard. It took me 6 months to live that down and I was the boss.

Yep - I did that ONCE too! Even using an iPad to take notes still comes as something of a surprise to many people and I am in a technology driven industry! I sometimes revert back to pen and paper as people seem to spend longer looking at me using my iPad in meetings that concentrating on what the meeting is about!

David
Sorry for the thread hijack!

OP
A

Alanfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, I don't feel funny using the iPad in meetings because it's quite effective, I use Soundnote to record the meeting and so the little notes I do take are just brief bullets. The nice thing is every time I type a note it logs the time and marks it so I can find that spot in the payback. I find that I actually listen more to what is being said not worrying that I might missed writing down a point. With such an effective tool I don't have any problem justifying it's use and the people in the meetings can see it.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The choppy scrolling on the tab would be enough to kill it for me.

I've used my iPad in many meetings...works great while standing taking notes, or using a keyboard if there is a conference table.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I've used my iPad in many meetings...works great while standing taking notes, or using a keyboard if there is a conference table.

Just in the few days I have had with the iPad I really like the size & size of keyboard. In bed or at the office it just works great. One thing I can't stand is choppy scrolling..... Until rival tablet makers fix it im sticking with IOS....

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Just in the few days I have had with the iPad I really like the size & size of keyboard. In bed or at the office it just works great. One thing I can't stand is choppy scrolling..... Until rival tablet makers fix it im sticking with IOS....

Yeah, that's why I can't deal with internet on my Droid...it's SOOOO SLOW and choppy....even overclocked the microsecond delay between touching the screen and it reacting makes me insane!

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, ipad has everyone spoiled. I cant stand to wait for a computer boot up. This ipad boots up faster thn my phone. Internet is superb on ipad other thn compatibility probs. Wit flash. A very versatile tool we have!

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The lag fix really helps on my Samsung Vibrant..I have an Ipad and really want a galaxy tab..I have not played with one yet..but I have it's little brother and love it so much I have 2. I really wish the iPad was more wide screen and had 512mb ram...not sure if I'll convert cause of size but I'm tempted!

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would hold off on buying the Galaxy Tab until after the holiday season. We are supposed to several new tablets on the market by January that will probably be better and have more features.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would hold off on buying the Galaxy Tab until after the holiday season. We are supposed to several new tablets on the market by January that will probably be better and have more features.

I agree, but i just can't go so small.... iPhone...iPad...galaxy tab seems to be in the middle somewhere won't fit in a pocket....but....hmmmm awkward...

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I understand what you are saying correctly, I agree with you.

7" is too small to do many things that easily on the ~10" screen of the iPad, but it's still too big to carry easily.

There are several 10" options that will be available, the Archos 101 should be for sale in the next week or so, and the Notion Ink Adam around Christmas. There should be other manufacturers with a 10" model as well.

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I understand what you are saying correctly, I agree with you.

7" is too small to do many things that easily on the ~10" screen of the iPad, but it's still too big to carry easily.

There are several 10" options that will be available, the Archos 101 should be for sale in the next week or so, and the Notion Ink Adam around Christmas. There should be other manufacturers with a 10" model as well.

I was going to order the archos 101..but after several reviews and archosfan forums..It seems the screen isn't all that great. I like a sharp crisp screen like my samoled and ipad.

OP
A

Alanfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a perfect example of "First to Market Advantage". Apple has done a decent job of entering the market with a on target product. Yes, there are holes but for the most part they hit.a home run. Since there now appears that this product is actually developing into a total new segment, there is an onslaught of competitors scrambling to enter the market. As long as Apple doesn't rest on it's laurels they have the potential of dominating this segment for a while.
The way I see it, the only real long term competitor will come from the Android camp. The problem they will face is that there will be so many players they will cannibalize themselves and prevent any one player from gaining the strength to battle Apple head on.
It's a dangerous time to buy something other than the iPad because it may die and become obsolete overnight. It appears there are many articles talking of the poor initial sales of the Tab. They have cut back on the production from their original plan. It will take 2011 to see who out of the Android camp will succeed and then Apple will have release Gen II of the Ipad.
I believe where Apple has everyone beat is the intergration of a larger new market segment. Their "Home Center" solution of the iPhone, iPad and Apple TV will be the best thing until that device can be created that will be on your wrist and project 3D images just like many Sci-Fi movies.
Definitely, for now I'm staying with Apple.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have to say that's more generous than i'd be about the galaxy tab - I was underwhelmed, especially seeing as it sells for £500 in the UK (£70 more than a 16Gb wifi iPad...)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a perfect example of "First to Market Advantage". Apple has done a decent job of entering the market with a on target product. Yes, there are holes but for the most part they hit.a home run. Since there now appears that this product is actually developing into a total new segment, there is an onslaught of competitors scrambling to enter the market. As long as Apple doesn't rest on it's laurels they have the potential of dominating this segment for a while.
The way I see it, the only real long term competitor will come from the Android camp. The problem they will face is that there will be so many players they will cannibalize themselves and prevent any one player from gaining the strength to battle Apple head on.
It's a dangerous time to buy something other than the iPad because it may die and become obsolete overnight. It appears there are many articles talking of the poor initial sales of the Tab. They have cut back on the production from their original plan. It will take 2011 to see who out of the Android camp will succeed and then Apple will have release Gen II of the Ipad.
I believe where Apple has everyone beat is the intergration of a larger new market segment. Their "Home Center" solution of the iPhone, iPad and Apple TV will be the best thing until that device can be created that will be on your wrist and project 3D images just like many Sci-Fi movies.
Definitely, for now I'm staying with Apple.

I have to disagree. I think Win 7 Phone OS or Zune OS based tablets are going to be the only real competition. It is the only mobile OS (CE Based of course) that has the same velvet feel to it while using it. Everything is fluid and smooth, whereas everything android is chunky and choppy no matter how much power you throw at it!

I will be very interested to see MS put out a tablet computer with a mobile OS on it, since it is very finger friendly in ways that Win7 is not!

Also MS is being extremely particular about what hardware Win7Phone will be allowed to run on....while android is open to any and all hardware no matter how pathetic they are and no matter how horrible the hardware vendor is about implementing it and updating it (im looking at you motorola!!)

Keep your eyes open, this is going to be a new age for both Apple and MS.

Most reactions

Latest posts