What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exciting SHSH Blobs news for iPad2 and iPad3 owners

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
***** UPDATE - The latest version of redsn0w now supports A5 device downgrading! See our tutorial here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...our-ipad2-ipad3-using-shsh-blobs-redsn0w.html

-----

Prolific SHSH Blob master ih8sn0w has made some very encouraging tweets this morning, indicating that he has found a flaw in the IOS5 APTicket protection which apparently allows previous versions of IOS 5 firmware to be installed on not only the iPad1, but also the iPad2, and potentially, the iPad3 (depending on the next release of IOS 5.x).

@ih8sn0w's tweets were as follows:

Found a loophole in Apple's apticket system. Restored my iPad 2 to 5.0.1 from 5.1. Works on all A5 devices. :)

A5X devices will work too once Apple pushes a new firmware for it.

BTW, This cannot be applied to basebands. Only iOS itself.

As ever in the jailbreaking scene, there is no ETA or other release information, so we will just need to be patient and wait for the loophole to be coded into iFaith, Tiny Umbrella, or whatever other release mechanism ih8sn0w decides upon :)

I will update the main FAQ and other posts as soon as there is a release. Until then, the facts remain that you cannot restore 5.0.1 to iPad2 at the moment.

See the FAQ here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/59291-shsh-blobs-faq-new-improved-2012-a.html

Reading between the lines it would appear you will need your Blobs for the previous version of IOS together with current blobs to make use of the loophole, so if you have been ignoring our advice up until now, START SAVING YOUR SHSH BLOBS TODAY! :D

Last edited:

Rushh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had earlier used TU to save the 501 blobs (ipad2), but have never saved apticket. So does it mean without apticket i cant downgrade from 510 to 501?

Is apticket like shsh blobs which can be saved only when apple is signing it?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had earlier used TU to save the 501 blobs (ipad2), but have never saved apticket. So does it mean without apticket i cant downgrade from 510 to 501?

Is apticket like shsh blobs which can be saved only when apple is signing it?

The APTicket is a component of the 5.x SHSH Blob. Therefore, if you have saved your blobs using Tiny Umbrella or Cydia then your APTicket should also be saved.
Hope that clarifies :)

Rushh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks.. f4780y , just some doubts -

I just checked , i saved my 5.0.1 blobs (ipad2) (TU version 5.10.03) on on January 3rd , although there is only one file with .shsh extention . Is apticket a separate file ? or its part of the same file ?
Cydia also has my blobs for 5.0.1 saved , does it mean it has my APTicket saved as well ?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks.. f4780y , just some doubts -

I just checked , i saved my 5.0.1 blobs (ipad2) (TU version 5.10.03) on on January 3rd , although there is only one file with .shsh extention . Is apticket a separate file ? or its part of the same file ?
Cydia also has my blobs for 5.0.1 saved , does it mean it has my APTicket saved as well ?

As I said, it's a component of the SHSH Blob, so it is NOT separate. And both TU and Cydia will save it. You should be fine.

quinconces

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Prolific SHSH Blob master ih8sn0w has made some very encouraging tweets this morning, indicating that he has found a flaw in the IOS5 APTicket protection which apparently allows previous versions of IOS 5 firmware to be installed on not only the iPad1, but also the iPad2, and potentially, the iPad3 (depending on the next release of IOS 5.x).

@ih8sn0w's tweets were as follows:

As ever in the jailbreaking scene, there is no ETA or other release information, so we will just need to be patient and wait for the loophole to be coded into Tiny Umbrella, or whatever other release mechanism ih8sn0w decides upon :)

I will update the main FAQ and other posts as soon as there is a release. Until then, the facts remain that you cannot restore 5.0.1 to iPad2 at the moment.

See the FAQ here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/59291-shsh-blobs-faq-new-improved-2012-a.html

Reading between the lines it would appear you will need your Blobs for the previous version of IOS together with current blobs to make use of the loophole, so if you have been ignoring our advice up until now, START SAVING YOUR SHSH BLOBS TODAY! :D

I updated as per above. I am still on 5.01 but note that Cydia shows that I now also have 5.1 saved. I assume I ignore it?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I updated as per above. I am still on 5.01 but note that Cydia shows that I now also have 5.1 saved. I assume I ignore it?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Yes, ignore it for now. Tiny Umbrella and/or Cydia will save blobs for any iOS that is actively being signed by Apple - you do not have to be on that iOS. So, once you've saved them, you are good to go and yes, you now can ignore them.

Marilyn

smokey79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just asking? Can i downgrade My a5 device even i dont have shsh blob 5.0.1 in Tu?i only have save my 4.3.3,4.3.5 and 5.1 in TU.

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
smokey79 said:
Just asking? Can i downgrade My a5 device even i dont have shsh blob 5.0.1 in Tu?i only have save my 4.3.3,4.3.5 and 5.1 in TU.
If you've got your blobs for 4.3.3 then you can downgrade using tiny CFW
Theres a tutorial on here of how to do it

Most reactions

Latest posts