What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHSH Blobs - Frequently Asked Questions - UPDATED

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As I said before iPhone and iPT work perfectly. iPad does not, and since this is an iPad site we need to be more careful. The only solution for me was a restore and I'm not exactly a n00b...

Last edited:

parkavekev

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Today I had some errors with apps opening with my jailbroken iPad 2 so I decided to restore the firmware. Ive never upgraded the firmware, its always had 4.3.3. However, I have been having a lot of trouble with error 1600 and 1604 amoung a few. I checked the cydia app and it says my blob is saved for 4.3.5. In iSH**** it says "the requested firmware is no longer available for signing" In TU it says i have 4.3.5 saved. Im soo mind F^#%ed right now. Why cant I save the correct blob?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Today I had some errors with apps opening with my jailbroken iPad 2 so I decided to restore the firmware. Ive never upgraded the firmware, its always had 4.3.3. However, I have been having a lot of trouble with error 1600 and 1604 amoung a few. I checked the cydia app and it says my blob is saved for 4.3.5. In iSH**** it says "the requested firmware is no longer available for signing" In TU it says i have 4.3.5 saved. Im soo mind F^#%ed right now. Why cant I save the correct blob?

I'm afraid you are not understanding the FAQ. All you have is 4.3.5. That's probably to do with when you jailbroke. SHSH Blobs have NOTHING to do with the version of IOS installed on your iPad. It's only what Apple will give you at the TIME you ask for them. Ask for them today, you get 5.0. Ask for them a few months ago, as you probably did, and you got 4.3.5, ask for them back in April or May 2011 and you would have got 4.3.3. If you don't ask for them at the right time, you don't get the ones you want.

The only exception to this is the iPad1 where you CAN use iFaith to extract blobs for the currently installed version of IOS, but that will not work on iPad2.

So you are out of luck. Your only options are now to install 5.0, or 4.3.5 (and you can only install 4.3.5 if you have a wifi only iPad2. A 3G iPad2 cannot currently be restored, even with saved blobs) :(

Either way, you will lose your ability to jailbreak for the time being. That's why you need to be very very careful with a jailbroken iPad2!

mmenesesm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iphone 4 4.3.3 and when I open cydia I can only see sshs saved 4.3.5.....I understand the firmware window but what I don´t understand is why cydia haven´t save ios 5.0 and 5.0.1 yet??

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an iphone 4 4.3.3 and when I open cydia I can only see sshs saved 4.3.5.....I understand the firmware window but what I don´t understand is why cydia haven´t save ios 5.0 and 5.0.1 yet??

Please read the third paragraph of the first post in this thread - the actual sticky information. In it, f4780y gives a very good explanation on why saving blobs for iOS 5.x is a useless endeavor.

Marilyn

ejonesss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"7. I didn't save my blobs! Can't I just copy someone else's blobs and use those?NO! - You didn't understand Q3. Blobs are unique to your device. They cannot be forged or spoofed, so you can't use someone else's, unless you also have their iPad!"actually you could (correct me if i am wrong) tiny umbrella saves them to a folder named .shsh so couldnt in theory someone copy that folder to another may via p2p or email attachment or usb drive and then load those blobs with redsnow sorry if that steps on piracy's toes i just wondered?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"7. I didn't save my blobs! Can't I just copy someone else's blobs and use those?NO! - You didn't understand Q3. Blobs are unique to your device. They cannot be forged or spoofed, so you can't use someone else's, unless you also have their iPad!"actually you could (correct me if i am wrong) tiny umbrella saves them to a folder named .shsh so couldnt in theory someone copy that folder to another may via p2p or email attachment or usb drive and then load those blobs with redsnow sorry if that steps on piracy's toes i just wondered?

Please re-read the part you quoted. Specifically, the sentence "Blobs are unique to your device." That means that blobs are permanently hooked into the UDID of your iPad (the serial number, as it were). They won't work if they are not run on the iPad that has that serial number. And, that serial number cannot be changed.

Sorry, but no matter how you try - SHSH blobs cannot be interchanged, though it would make jail breaking so much easier (and simpler!).

Marilyn

ejonesss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sorry i was confused by one of the options in one of the program where it can submit and retrieve blobs from a server (implying that you could submit and retrieve blobs like you can do cd tracks on cddb or gracenote).

ejonesss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
correct me if i am wrong but i thought i read that apple stopped signing firmware updatesi just read at https://twitter.com/#!/MuscleNerd/status/145021462397456384 that shsh blobs are being used in 5.0.1here is the text of that tweet incase you dont want to go to the link aboveFor time being, please just use most recent TU to save 5.0.1 blobs+APTicket...redsn0w will do the rest, should you need to restoremaybe i read the tweet wrong and shsh blobs are not completely abandoned .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions