What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do YOU think this is true?

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They are only doing this because of all the bad press they are getting.

So Mike ~ are you saying if they were not getting bad press, they would not be addressing this issue? They would just ignore it?

I heard that the bumper covers this phone, and that it is really a beautiful phone, so some are not too pleased about this course of action, or wait...that they are offering a new case when you go in for the bumper...

Hell ~ I may have this backwards!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
They are only doing this because of all the bad press they are getting.

So Mike ~ are you saying if they were not getting bad press, they would not be addressing this issue? They would just ignore it?

I heard that the bumper covers this phone, and that it is really a beautiful phone, so some are not too pleased about this course of action, or wait...that they are offering a new case when you go in for the bumper...

Hell ~ I may have this backwards!

The main issue is that people have been getting poor ATT service yet the phones all would display 5 bars. When you put your hand around the the area where the antenna is on any phone the signal will go down. However int the iphones case since it may only be getting 5% signal and showing full signal bars when you put you hand around the antenna and the signal drops from 5% to 0% the end user is seeing 5 full bars of signal down to none. They have since put out and updated firmware so that now people will see the proper signal bars and you will probably only have 3/4 bars instead of 5 all the time. This update does not change any thing with the signal strength or the antenna it just makes the signal bars show your current signal accurately instead of 5 bars all the time. I have also read that apple is tweaking the phones modem software to detect the interference of the hand around the antenna and will then do something like increase the power to keep the connection with the cell tower. But this is something that will have to come out in a later update.

in todays press conference they said that they in fact did see higher dropped calls that they had with the iphone 3G. They did also say that they are having far less iphone 4's being returned than they had iphone 3G's when they first came out. They said the percentage of people actually calling and complaining to the company about the iphone 4 antenna issue was less than 1%.

They are giving out free cases to all iphone 4 owners because of the bad press about the antenna that is going around. Steve thinks its a non issue and just wants everyone to stop talking about antenna issues.

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple also was offering iPhone cases, they showed off their high end testing facility for radio signals. The big issue is that every product has minor issues. Those that like their new toy, say nothing or praise it. Those who have buyers remorse, or problems, will scream loud and often. Hundreds of bloggers, writers, and other so-called journalists are constantly looking for controversy, seize on a minor issue. By the time they get done, there are more stories about the problem, than people gripping.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The issue is that Apple's first response to consumer complaint was contemptuous. nobody gets away with that for long, not even Apple.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The main issue is that people have been getting poor ATT service yet the phones all would display 5 bars. When you put your hand around the the area where the antenna is on any phone the signal will go down. However int the iphones case since it may only be getting 5% signal and showing full signal bars when you put you hand around the antenna and the signal drops from 5% to 0% the end user is seeing 5 full bars of signal down to none. They have since put out and updated firmware so that now people will see the proper signal bars and you will probably only have 3/4 bars instead of 5 all the time. This update does not change any thing with the signal strength or the antenna it just makes the signal bars show your current signal accurately instead of 5 bars all the time. I have also read that apple is tweaking the phones modem software to detect the interference of the hand around the antenna and will then do something like increase the power to keep the connection with the cell tower. But this is something that will have to come out in a later update.

in todays press conference they said that they in fact did see higher dropped calls that they had with the iphone 3G. They did also say that they are having far less iphone 4's being returned than they had iphone 3G's when they first came out. They said the percentage of people actually calling and complaining to the company about the iphone 4 antenna issue was less than 1%.

They are giving out free cases to all iphone 4 owners because of the bad press about the antenna that is going around. Steve thinks its a non issue and just wants everyone to stop talking about antenna issues.

Thanks for the info!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The issue is that Apple's first response to consumer complaint was contemptuous. nobody gets away with that for long, not even Apple.
Let's be honest. There are some statements attributed to Jobs that are reported as forgeries. The means some doofuses will go through to discredit people, make me unwilling to hold an opinion. Apple has built a reputation for treating customers well. It is not likely they will stop.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple are pretty good about getting it right.
I love my iPhone 3g so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, and I would certainly check the return rates before I adopt an opinion.

News sells which unfortunately puts pressure on news providers to provide more.......

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received my iPhone 4 the day before it was launched. Overall it is the best phone I have ever owned. I thought the display on my 3GS was great. The 4's screen blows it out of the water. The camera is fantastic as well.

Here is a pic I took of the difference between the 3GS display and the 4 display. Obviously, the 4 is on the left ;).
fullsizek.png

That being said, I do experience the antenna problem. When I hold the naked phone in my left hand my signal strength drops to the point where I cannot send or receive data. I can still make and receive calls though. With a case on the phone (I have the Apple Bumper and a generic case) the problem is dramatically reduced. Data transfer rates are only slightly reduced when I cradle the phone in my left hand with either case.

I live in an area where AT&T's 3G signal is not very strong. From what I have read, this makes the problem much more noticeable.

Most reactions

Latest posts