What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPhone 4 on Verizon 1 week almost done

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, so after almost a week of using the iPhone 4 on Verizon I can honestly say it is damn impressive!

Call quality is incredible (really clear and no noise while talking to my GF with her iPhone....like I thought she hung up is was so quiet!!)

This thing is FAST!!! Apps are so responsive and the bottom bar app switcher is WAY more handy on the iPhone since its a small screen.

The additional RAM is wonderful and a much needed addition to the iPad. It makes it so it can retain app data a lot longer with less need to reload to a state.

Internet has been very fast (actually a LOT faster than with my droid.....or maybe my Droid was just so horribly slow it just couldn't display pages nearly as fast.) I have been able to stream Hulu, Netflix, and Air Video over 3G no problem. Had some stuttery issues with EyeTV...but that app is just weird!

IM+ is a MILLION times better on iPhone! Love it! Navigon BLOWS AWAY google maps nav! Very happy with that! And with the maps being local it doesn't matter how the cell signal is...AND it uses a LOT less power!

I really love how it seemlessly switches between 3G and WiFi....I can be at the office using wifi, walk over to starbucks listening to Pandora and it will make the handoff without a single stutter.....really amazing!

I'm trying really hard to think of anything I haven't liked about it...and I can't think of anything yet.

Anyone else get a pre-order iPhone on Verizon that has any thoughts after their week long experience so far?

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I picked mine up last night around 8pm.

So far, greatly impressed. I pull roughly 2.5mbps data speeds. Huge update from my iPhone 3G on T-Mobiles EDGE network. Averaged out roughly 100kbps download and 40kbps upload. Did this for two years almost!! lol

I orderd my Karas Kustom case the other day. Should be here Monday.

OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I picked mine up last night around 8pm.

So far, greatly impressed. I pull roughly 2.5mbps data speeds. Huge update from my iPhone 3G on T-Mobiles EDGE network. Averaged out roughly 100kbps download and 40kbps upload. Did this for two years almost!! lol

I orderd my Karas Kustom case the other day. Should be here Monday.

Wow, yeah thats a huge change!

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only issue I have is with Gmail Push email.

It'll work with for an hour or so, then I get this error. When it does work, it's nearly on chime with my iPad. Both Push before my actual Gmail on the web.

Like I said..works for an hour or two, then I get this. Enter passowrd a few times, and keeps popping up.

iphone4.png

OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You shouldn't use exchange for Gmail mail. Use the Gmail account setting...for Mail, Calendars, and Notes....set up exchange with m.google.com for Contacts only. The exchange for mail on gmail is weird.

I have MobileMe set up for bookmarks and find my phone and gmail has 2 accounts one for exchange contacts and one for gmail.

photo.PNG

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are enjoying it. Going from that ancient low spec Droid should be a very noticeable difference in performance.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the exchange because it can sync my calender and contacts too between my account, and iPad..

OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the exchange because it can sync my calender and contacts too between my account, and iPad..

Right, but don't use it for mail.

If you sync using gmail on all your devices it pushes to all your devices.

I have my iPhones, iPads, and Macs all linked to my gmail and they all sync perfectly!

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was having similar issues, I would get mail sometimes and then I wouldn't, I also could not send emails. In the settings, for some weird reason, I had a password for the incoming, but not outgoing messages. Now it works fiine.

OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gmail exchange is weird....I tried it a while ago and had some strange results. Now I use Gmail for mail and calendars and notes and exchange gmail only for contacts.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, I set up a VZW iPhone for my friend today. That is one smooth running phone. Was very speedy on her home wifi also, way faster than my Fascinate and/or the iPads. Whats up with that?

Looking forward to the next version.... then just maybe....

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A friend of ours got the Verizon iPhone yesterday and brought it over so I could play with it. Overall, it is a very nice phone. I was a little surprised however that texting interrupts data transfer just like phone calls do. I guess that makes sense now seeing how SMS uses voice calling on CDMA networks but I never thought about it before. It wasn't a huge deal, but the phone received three text messages while I was surfing and I could see the interruption getting annoying at times.

Web browsing was much faster on the iPhone 4 compared to my iPad, but that isn't saying much. My 8 year old Dell laptop is faster too .. lol. What I really was digging was the screen. I still think my wife's Fascinate has better color, but the sharpness on the iPhone is really great. Makes me want to ditch my 2G iPog Touch and get a new model this fall for sure.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A friend of ours got the Verizon iPhone yesterday and brought it over so I could play with it. Overall, it is a very nice phone. I was a little surprised however that texting interrupts data transfer just like phone calls do. I guess that makes sense now seeing how SMS uses voice calling on CDMA networks but I never thought about it before. It wasn't a huge deal, but the phone received three text messages while I was surfing and I could see the interruption getting annoying at times.

Web browsing was much faster on the iPhone 4 compared to my iPad, but that isn't saying much. My 8 year old Dell laptop is faster too .. lol. What I really was digging was the screen. I still think my wife's Fascinate has better color, but the sharpness on the iPhone is really great. Makes me want to ditch my 2G iPog Touch and get a new model this fall for sure.

Setbacks indeed. I have mostly used my phone here at home on a wifi network, texting a LOT. Never noticed any issues.. But I'm the type to text back instantly before I continum surfing the web.

When I get to TX, I'll poke around and see what Verizon seems to do about this issue (talk/data same time). Company I now work for, is one of the major companies to service/build/setup cell towers for all networks across the nation.. Very few get to see the "guts" of a tower.

Project I'm going to is two years long and 50+ sites. Should be VERY interesting :D

Most reactions