What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I need this Ipad2? Please help

sixstringer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings, I received an Ipad2, (it says G3/Wifi on the box) for Christmas and have not yet opened the box. What will I use it for? I don't have a "smart" phone, I don't tweet or throwing things again a wall (whatever that means), or use any sort of "social networking". I don't take photos with my phone. I don't listen to music on my phone. I don't want to surf the net with my phone. I never log onto the web at airports, Starbucks, or any other public place with my laptop because of all the warnings about bad guys accessing your data at such places and stealing you bank info, passwords, etc. I visited the local Apple Store, they were no help, their answer to " What can I use an Ipad2 for" is "everything!".

I discovered I could use a GoToMyPC "app" (application?) to log into my office PCs as I do now with my laptop.
That would be good. It would be even better if I could use it as I travel but then my info could get stolen.

Also, it REALLY torques me off that Apple requires hardware upgrades with every new OS while my 8 year old PCs are humming along just fine with new versions of the programs I use daily.

So, what cool thing could I do with this Ipad2 that would justify me keeping it?
Thanks for your advice.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like Santa left at least one iPad2 at the wrong house.:confused: I guess nobody's perfect. >shrugs shoulders<

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe all of these things that you "don't" do will change to things that you may do and enjoy doing. Nobody can convince you to whether or not you need it. Apparently the "somebody" who did gift this to you, thought this would be a wonderful present for you. Good luck with your decision.

sewqueen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear Sixstringer, I agree with ski monkey that if you give it a try you may be surprised. I understand your concern about Internet
thieves, but just be careful. During NYE weekend, hubby and I traveled. I used iPad in hotel room to look up restaurants and
things to do. I can sit on sofa and read personal email. Kids and grand kids have FaceTime and it is so cool to see Grandkids' faces when talking to them. Try it for pictures. Sometimes we don't like change, but at 55 I have to keep up with technology or grandkids will leave me behind. Good luck and try it. Have the person who gave it to you show how to use it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, it REALLY torques me off that Apple requires hardware upgrades with every new OS while my 8 year old PCs are humming along just fine with new versions of the programs I use daily.

The iPad is more closely related to mobile consumer devices, like phones, than to a full computer; so it has the same two to three year life cycle. When/if the tablet market stabilizes a bit, that will probably get longer. As it is now, things are simply growing too fast for any hardware to be relevant for long.

As for your over all question; open it up, play with it, get some free and or cheap apps. Stick around here and read the conversations. There are lots of use cases, and one might be of interest to you. If you don't like it box it up and sell it. You'll lose a bit of the resale value, but since it was free it isn't like your throwing money away.

Besides, trying it is the least you can do after someone went to the trouble of giving you a gift. Even home made sweaters should be tried on at least once. ;)

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also, it REALLY torques me off that Apple requires hardware upgrades with every new OS

I don't believe that this is true with regards to the iPad. Did not we all just upgrade iOS? I recall no hardware changes required.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
hey there!

the question is, what is your life style and out look on life? if i gave an ipad to my wife she'd never ever use it. not once. some people just dont need/want one. are you a gadget person? are you really bothered? my wife still prefers her radio than the tv. some peeps are just like this. i wish i was sometimes. but......

Greetings, I received an Ipad2, (it says G3/Wifi on the box) for Christmas and have not yet opened the box. What will I use it for? I don't have a "smart" phone, I don't tweet or throwing things again a wall (whatever that means), or use any sort of "social networking". I don't take photos with my phone. I don't listen to music on my phone. I don't want to surf the net with my phone. I never log onto the web at airports, Starbucks, or any other public place with my laptop because of all the warnings about bad guys accessing your data at such places and stealing you bank info, passwords, etc. I visited the local Apple Store, they were no help, their answer to " What can I use an Ipad2 for" is "everything!".

i dont have a smart phone. and if i did i'd never spend half my life on it texting, surfing, social networking ( i've never tried these and dont wont to) etc etc. i couldnt think of anything more frustrating than trying to do what my laptop does but on a tiny smart phone. but the ipad isn't like this. the large screen makes it a joy to use and surf on. it's large and clear and not fiddly. the touch screen and operation is soooo easy and intuetive, even an ape could use it without tuition.
i never log in at public places either, purely because of the security risks. but these risks arent an issue when you're at home. the security is purely down to your own wifi then. nothing to worry about. so if you want to use it in a public place just to surf then there's no issue with security.

I discovered I could use a GoToMyPC "app" (application?) to log into my office PCs as I do now with my laptop.
That would be good. It would be even better if I could use it as I travel but then my info could get stolen.

i'm sure you can remotely log into your office computers via your ipad. try splashtop app. and there's soooooo much paranoia too. just because you're out in public doesnt mean you're going to have your stuff stolen.

where did that come from? the current ipads will easily use the latest up coming ios's in the near future at least. probably more.

So, what cool thing could I do with this Ipad2 that would justify me keeping it?
Thanks for your advice.

well, as mentioned, do you really want one anyway? my wife wouldn't have one, but she's learned to love using mine for internet browsing and shopping. we both love using it in bed to watch movies, news, emails, phone calls to friends and family etc etc (which can also be displayed on your tv in your lounge). i love drawing on it, taking video of my nephews and my dogs, doing my house hold accounts, watching tv, keeping my diary and calenders and reminders, using the maps app, listening to music and radio, playing the odd game every now and then..........

give it an hour or 2 and you might be pleasantly surprised. my wife was.

Last edited:
OP
S

sixstringer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok, I tried it. I should have gone with my gut, I hate this thing, it's as bad as a smart phone but you can't talk on it.

iLloyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never needed one. I wanted one.

Give it a go and no doubt you'll be addicted

Sent via my Opposable Thumbs

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
sixstringer said:
ok, I tried it. I should have gone with my gut, I hate this thing, it's as bad as a smart phone but you can't talk on it.

Actually, you can with the right apps but in all honesty, I think you should return it. Obviously, it is not for you.

Last edited:

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As my dad always says, "Power windows ain't for everybody."

Point is, you know what you like & what you don't. Maybe somebody thought you might like a change(as in, gifting it to you) but it just isn't for you.

Well, my dad likes crank open widows. Can't convince the guy of anything else because cranks work just fine, thank you.

I dig old skool people. I think sometimes we think we can't live without gadgets, but honestly sometimes I think they suck for manners(like not talking on your cell while being waited on by a cashier or not driving & texting) and actually tend to make people very demanding. I want to be entertained, I get immediate satisfaction. I want to connect with friends, I check Facebook. Superfluous human connections at best.

Crank windows aren't all that bad.

Most reactions