What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed please

clermont

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I update a file on my computer or laptop in dropbox it updates the ipad as well, which is good, but when I update a file on my ipad it wont update that info to the files on the laptop or desktop..is this normal....
I use my ipad to do stock counts, on my spreadsheets, so it is easier to just take the ipad out and make changes to it, and thought when I did that it would automatically update the same files on the computer but it wont....what am I doing wrong..

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The files you are editing, in what app are you working on them in? From my experience with Dropbox and Quickoffice Pro HD, any file I edited needed to be saved to Quickoffice then send back out to Dropbox. It does not ( probably cannot) open the file directly in the Dropbox folder, because it is out in the cloud, not local on the iPad. Not sure if this action is different with files flagged in Dropbox as Favorites, but suspect it is the same.

OP
clermont

clermont

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I keep them in dropbox open them in quickoffice, edit what i need to do then save then put them back into drop box....but they wont update the same files in dropbox on the laptop....sorry I am all new to this..just got the quickoffice this morning....but I thought it would update the file on the computer from the file on the ipad

OP
clermont

clermont

iPF Novice
Reaction score
maybe I am doing it wrong. but I thought if i used the ipad to do stock checks, changed the quantities on the ipad, and saved then it would change the quantities on the laptop, but it is not doing that.so makes using the ipad pointless

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I suspect you will need to save them to an updated file name, maybe something like spreadsheet v3, or by date and time to differentiate the different files. I'm not sure how Dropbox behaves via the Quickoffice interface versus the Dropbox app. I will have to experiment a little in that regards.

Certainly the Dropbox interface on PC acts like any other folder, and that is because all the files have a local version stored in the local Dropbox folder on the PC , which is synced immediately any changes are made, assuming you have Internet connection. Keep in mind that when you open a file from Dropbox either from within Quickoffice or the Dropbox app, it has to pull down the copy in the Dropbox cloud to your iPad to work on. It becomes a separate copy on the iPad. As mentioned, I will experiment to find the best solution for trouble free updating on files worked on in Quickoffice.

Keep you posted...

OP
clermont

clermont

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Had this problem before I downloaded quick office, I have drop box on the laptop as well as the iPad I just open them from dropbox with numbers but they still wouldn't update to the laptop, that is why I purchased quick office, thought it would help, but hasn't

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had this problem before I downloaded quick office, I have drop box on the laptop as well as the iPad I just open them from dropbox with numbers but they still wouldn't update to the laptop, that is why I purchased quick office, thought it would help, but hasn't

You need to enable dropbox in the quick office app
You will see the Dropbox as a separate file area, see pic below.
Then you acess and edit files directly off Dropbox, I do this all the time, once you have finished editing , the file auto uploads back to DB.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1342085992.200074.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1342085992.200074.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 186

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bosvaark said:
You need to enable dropbox in the quick office app
You will see the Dropbox as a separate file area, see pic below.
Then you acess and edit files directly off Dropbox, I do this all the time, once you have finished editing , the file auto uploads back to DB.

This is correct. I just tested with a word document. Saved straight back to original file in Dropbox. Do not need to access the Dropbox app for this functionality.

OP
clermont

clermont

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Had a look and how do I enable drop box so it shows there, I only have the free dropbox

OP
clermont

clermont

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes it saves to he drop box on the iPad, but the changes aren't showing in the dropbox on the laptop

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
clermont said:
Had a look and how do I enable drop box so it shows there, I only have the free dropbox

Look at Bosvaark's picture. Down the bottom left, click on the plus button to add a cloud service. Dropbox will be one of the options.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
clermont said:
Yes it saves to he drop box on the iPad, but the changes aren't showing in the dropbox on the laptop

If you have managed to do the above post (link Quickoffice to your Dropbox account), then it sounds to me that your Dropbox on your PC may not be polling the Dropbox for updates as quickly as it should. You can tell if it's work now on the iPad side.

Maybe try to force the sync on the PC side (not sure if that's possible), but right click on the Dropbox icon in your toolbar and see what options you have (I'll check later when I have my PC going).

OP
clermont

clermont

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes yes it works wahoo....thank you thank you thank you, just had to sit and quietly think about it....thank you so much for your help,it is so appreciated

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
clermont said:
Yes yes it works wahoo....thank you thank you thank you, just had to sit and quietly think about it....thank you so much for your help,it is so appreciated

Excellent! Another happy customer :)

OP
clermont

clermont

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One more problem , sorry, I noticed some of my spreadsheets, mainly the inventory one seems to be floating, and also the writing within the cells seems to be cut off at the bottom. Is there a way to fix this, not a major problem...but it is not happening in the spreadsheet I have for my sold items....

Most reactions

Latest posts