What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked my Ipad2 screen.

OP
Farhat

Farhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
OK - we've had a couple of Members from Singapore who - at first were told this too. Some went to other stores, one wrote to Apple - but all were eventually successful. Don't give up!

Tim

Hi Tim,
Will try again at other Apple store or representative in Singapore. Thanks to you and all who given me tips and words of encouragement. Will update to you again.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - please don't give up. I'm sure we'll find a way forward. PM me if you need any further help.

Tim

thefrontlights

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim,
Will try again at other Apple store or representative in Singapore. Thanks to you and all who given me tips and words of encouragement. Will update to you again.

My sister accidentally dropped the iPad in the dark and my screen is all cracked up as well. Very upset :( Do keep us updated if you're successful! Could you let me know which apple stores you tried, so I wouldn't waste time visiting them as well. Thanks in advance.

OP
Farhat

Farhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thefrontlights said:
My sister accidentally dropped the iPad in the dark and my screen is all cracked up as well. Very upset :( Do keep us updated if you're successful! Could you let me know which apple stores you tried, so I wouldn't waste time visiting them as well. Thanks in advance.

The store I went to is at Wheelock Place,Orchard Rd. Previously it was Borders. You can try there though as long don't get to be serve by that Indian girl. Anyway, I will be going to another Apple Store at Suntec. Try my luck ( call it so ). If not successful then I guess I have to come down to Sim Lim Tower to get my screen fix. There's one store over there that can fix broken Ipad screen and I heard that their workmanship is good. I already check the price. It will cost me at @ $260sgd. You can check it out this website fixtrot.com.

brianandmarion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We didn't have any luck with a free replacement, either. I have twin sons that each were gifted with an IPad 2 in August, as a preparation gift for high school (they are freshman). I was nearly sick when one of the screens got cracked, and was devastated when only a few days later, the other screen got cracked! They are both really careful with them, and have only had them for 2 months! I wonder if this is a design flaw, as suggested earlier?? We are far from any apple store, and I'm sending ours in for repair.. hopefully they'll take pity on us and repair/replace it for free! I certainly can't afford to replace them! yikes!

IpadGeekTron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also cracked my IPAD2 about 3 months after i got it. I was so mad at myself but just prepared myself to pay to get it repaired. I linpve in the US, and when i took it in, the gave me a new one. I love the Apple people... They were vice and understanding... I think u cant give up, someone at apple will have sympathy on u. We are all a little clumbsy. Im not sure why the dont offer some type of insurance. I ve now put aside money that i dont touch in case it breaks again.

Voina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
If you're going to toss your iPad around, you might want to consider a Gform case:
G-Form Innovative Products | G-Form

They've tested them by driving over the cases with iPads inside, slingshotted them, dropped them from 60 feet in the air, etc. Of course, the edges of an iPad are the most vulnerable, so you could still damage yours in a Gform.

I've dropped my iPad 1 and 2 with no problems beyond a ding in iPad 1's corner. (While not in a Gform case.) It just depends on how and where they land, if you're lucky.

I wouldn't say I "Toss my iPad around". I did "toss" it that one time -- I let it drop out of my hands onto the SOFA a foot below, and it bounced and fell on the CARPETED floor and landed on its end.

When I suggest it may be a design flaw, I'm in particular comparing it with my iPad 1 which is far more durable. The 2 is sexier and thinner... But it's also obviously far more fragile. I keep the thing in a rubber room now so I don't end up in one if it cracks again!

Voina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgetful said:
Doubt design flaw. You're talking about a big sheet of glass.

Well, my first big piece of glass (the ipad1) is far more durable. Two cracks, one from an injury so minor I didn't even know what happened, in three weeks time to two different ipad2s, plus finding many others with the same experience... Sounds like a design flaw to me. Like I posted elsewhere, the 2 may be slicker and sexier than the 1, but it's a bummer to have a portable device I have to protect like it IS a piece of very expensive, very fragile glass.

Voina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Voina said:
I wouldn't say I "Toss my iPad around". I did "toss" it that one time -- I let it drop out of my hands onto the SOFA a foot below, and it bounced and fell on the CARPETED floor and landed on its end.

When I suggest it may be a design flaw, I'm in particular comparing it with my iPad 1 which is far more durable. The 2 is sexier and thinner... But it's also obviously far more fragile. I keep the thing in a rubber room now so I don't end up in one if it cracks again!

And I forgot to say IT WAS IN A CASE when I dropped it onto the sofa!!!!!!!

arttext

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The general service outside the US, from what I read in different forums, seems to be worse. In my country (NL), for example there are no Apple stores at all, only "qualified resellers" and they all suck. So, after my 2 months old iPhone broke down when calling in the rain (void warranty because moisture is not covered) I had to pay up € 365 forc a refurbished one. I then decided to take an insurance: € 8 a month. And I did the same with my iPad2. These devices are vulnerable, but they're used under very different conditions and 24/7 so I conditioned myself in thinking the insurance is part of the original price. And it covers way more events than Apple Care.

thefrontlights

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The store I went to is at Wheelock Place,Orchard Rd. Previously it was Borders. You can try there though as long don't get to be serve by that Indian girl. Anyway, I will be going to another Apple Store at Suntec. Try my luck ( call it so ). If not successful then I guess I have to come down to Sim Lim Tower to get my screen fix. There's one store over there that can fix broken Ipad screen and I heard that their workmanship is good. I already check the price. It will cost me at @ $260sgd. You can check it out this website fixtrot.com.

I did try Wheelock, and they quoted me sgd$500+ for the 1 to 1 exchange. Haven't had time to go down to the other shops yet although I tried calling up the shops but all quoted me the sgd$500+ price. Guess we won't have much luck here since they are not legit Apple stores and are just the premium resellers. Apple should come and set up their stores here in Singapore!​

OP
Farhat

Farhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thefrontlights said:
I did try Wheelock, and they quoted me sgd$500+ for the 1 to 1 exchange. Haven't had time to go down to the other shops yet although I tried calling up the shops but all quoted me the sgd$500+ price. Guess we won't have much luck here since they are not legit Apple stores and are just the premium resellers. Apple should come and set up their stores here in Singapore!

Yeah...thats what I felt. I'm going to Sim Lim end of this month( off day ) to get my screen fix. Already check with the people over there and they quote me at $260/-. Takes about an hour for them to replace the screen. I believe they are nice people because from the way they answer my call was very polite and professional. You can call this number to check it out. Tel: 66353399 ( Fixtrot Repair Service ).

OP
Farhat

Farhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
brianandmarion said:
We didn't have any luck with a free replacement, either. I have twin sons that each were gifted with an IPad 2 in August, as a preparation gift for high school (they are freshman). I was nearly sick when one of the screens got cracked, and was devastated when only a few days later, the other screen got cracked! They are both really careful with them, and have only had them for 2 months! I wonder if this is a design flaw, as suggested earlier?? We are far from any apple store, and I'm sending ours in for repair.. hopefully they'll take pity on us and repair/replace it for free! I certainly can't afford to replace them! yikes!

As what Tim say in my past thread. If you can find an Apple Store then take it in and tell them the story. Be humble, polite, deferential - Apple have an unofficial, they-won't-acknowledge-it, once-in-a-lifetime, replace an iPad with a broken screen even if it's not Apple's fault. You have no rights, you may need to try a couple of stores but you'll see in several threads in this Forum that all Members who have taken iPads in with broken screens have had them replaced for free.
As for my case. My country(Singapore) there's no actual Apple Store. What we have here is only a legit Apple retailers. That is why they sucks.(Big Time).

DennisW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 to this. I stupidly dropped my 4-day old iPad2 on to a hardwood floor and shattered the screen. I went to the local Apple store after reading these stories and just asked to have it fixed. They told me the same, "one time only, I've never done anything like this before" and gave me a brand new one at no charge. I'm sure by now the store employees know that the work is spreading on the internet about this unofficial policy, but they have to play the game.
So, as Tim said, be humble, polite, and thank them for this favor. I even popped for the Apple Care plan after that just as a way of saying "thanks".

And I might add that some sort of protective sleeve or folio is a wise investment, as you won't get a second free replacement. Apple prices the cost of a screen replacement at $300, BTW.

Most reactions

Latest posts