What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked my Ipad2 screen.

Farhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I bought my ipad2 64gig from M1 (Singapore ) a couples of months ago. Bought it without a plan.
Today, I accidentally drop my ipad2 and the screen got cracked. I'm not sure if M1 warranty will cover this.
Anyone out there who are M1 customer that ever experience or encounter this kind 'mishap' can shed some light
To me please. Really, I don't know what to do now :(. Thanks!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can find an Apple Store then take it in and tell them the story. Be humble, polite, deferential - Apple have an unofficial, they-won't-acknowledge-it, once-in-a-lifetime, replace an iPad with a broken screen even if it's not Apple's fault. You have no rights, you may need to try a couple of stores but you'll see in several threads in this Forum that all Members who have taken iPads in with broken screens have had them replaced for free.

Tim

OP
Farhat

Farhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the advised. I'll really appreciate it and will do as what you say. Really, i felt cripple wihout my ipad :).

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let us know how you get on and don't worry if the shop staff don't know about the 'policy' as it's not generally known. You might need to - nicely - ask to speak to a Manager.

Tim

OP
Farhat

Farhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyway, Will update to you if I manage to get it change or not.

ibe1st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Similar scenario for my 2 day old ipad2

Went to apple store and told them I had dropped it. Guy told me replacement cost was $435aud
My kids were playing nicely on their mac. He looked at the kids, ipad2, kids then asked me whether the kids used it? I replied yes, all the time loving the games and videos.

He ran his fingernail over the crack (from camera to the corner of ipad2 and gave me the magic words..... One off replacement :)

Be honest, don't ask for a free replacement, ask how much to replace so you don't sound like you're there because they owe you something. Bring well behaved kids (yours or not) and good luck.

OP
Farhat

Farhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi ibe1st,

Good morning and thanks for the idea. Appreciate that.

Voina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had TWO cracked white iPad2 screens -- three weeks apart! The second was the replacement I paid for. About $450 BOTH times. The first time, I was completely unaware of any "dropping" of the iPad. The second one -- which I had in a VERY sturdy case -- I lightly tossed on the sofa, and then it fell off the sofa onto the carpeted floor about 18 inches below, and immediately cracked! My original iPad is much sturdier... And if this happens again, I will just have to stick with the older one. I live on an island, several hours away from Seattle. Not an easy thing to get to Apple stores to beg for mercy. Love the ipad2, but I really think this is a design flaw.

Last edited:
OP
Farhat

Farhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went over to Apple Store (Singapore) over the weekend. Honestly told the staff about my crack ipad2 screen but to my shocked, she told me that it will cost me $6++ SGD to get a replace. How could I pay if it almost cost me half of my monthly salary. The sad things was that the staff don't show any sympathy or empathy to my problem. Infact, she gave me a scarstic smile as if I am begging to them to get a freebe. Well, I think I need to get a third party to get my screen fix and to that particular staff at Apple(Singapore), you suck babe not because you won't changed my Ipad2 but for making my daughter in tears. My baby just felt sorry for me. :(

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went over to Apple Store (Singapore) over the weekend. Honestly told the staff about my crack ipad2 screen but to my shocked, she told me that I will cost me $6++ SGD to get

Do you really mean $6 plus sales tax?

Tim

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had TWO cracked white iPad2 screens -- three weeks apart! The second was the replacement I paid for. About $450 BOTH times. The first time, I was completely unaware of any "dropping" of the iPad. The second one -- which I had in a VERY sturdy case -- I lightly tossed on the sofa, and then it fell off the sofa onto the carpeted floor about 18 inches below, and immediately cracked! My original iPad is much sturdier... And if this happens again, I will just have to stick with the older one. I live on an island, several hours away from Seattle. Not an easy thing to get to Apple stores to beg for mercy. Love the ipad2, but I really think this is a design flaw.

If you're going to toss your iPad around, you might want to consider a Gform case:
G-Form Innovative Products | G-Form

They've tested them by driving over the cases with iPads inside, slingshotted them, dropped them from 60 feet in the air, etc. Of course, the edges of an iPad are the most vulnerable, so you could still damage yours in a Gform.

I've dropped my iPad 1 and 2 with no problems beyond a ding in iPad 1's corner. (While not in a Gform case.) It just depends on how and where they land, if you're lucky.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went over to Apple Store (Singapore) over the weekend. Honestly told the staff about my crack ipad2 screen but to my shocked, she told me that it will cost me $6++ SGD to get a replace. How could I pay if it almost cost me half of my monthly salary. The sad things was that the staff don't show any sympathy or empathy to my problem. Infact, she gave me a scarstic smile as if I am begging to them to get a freebe. Well, I think I need to get a third party to get my screen fix and to that particular staff at Apple(Singapore), you suck babe not because you won't changed my Ipad2 but for making my daughter in tears. My baby just felt sorry for me. :(

My experience with customer service is that U.S. treatment tends to be the best for exchanges, replacements, etc. Service in Asia (where I live part of the time) tends to suck. I bought my iPhone 4 in Asia, dropped it and a U.S. Apple store replaced it without hesitation. The sales guy never asked me where I bought it. If you or a friend will be in the U.S. anytime soon, you might try a U.S. Apple store for a replacement.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant $630 Singapore Dollars to get a replacement.

OK - we've had a couple of Members from Singapore who - at first were told this too. Some went to other stores, one wrote to Apple - but all were eventually successful. Don't give up!

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts