What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting to tv.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iloco said:
But that's just it.......they don't. Apple changes the adapter once the iPad 3 was released. I tried both and as you can see from the photo......they don't work. This was a genuine apple av adapter for hdmi.

Are you sure the cable is not defective? Have you tried it on an iPad 3? Are you on the latest version of iOS? The pop up in your photo says to update the iOS.

iloco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two different cables but i don't have an iPad 3 to try it on.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never updated our iPad2s (still on version 4.3.2) and use the original AV adapter and it works fine. This just doesn't make sense. Since your charger cable obviously works I wonder what would happen if you took it and used the USB end with a USB to HDMI adapter?

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found one but it was micro HDMI. Still looking for female USB to male HDMI.

Last edited:

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
idave23 said:
I've never updated our iPad2s (still on version 4.3.2) and use the original AV adapter and it works fine. This just doesn't make sense. Since your charger cable obviously works I wonder what would happen if you took it and used the USB end with a USB to HDMI adapter?

What? The charger cable is not wired to output video and audio via USB.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iloco said:
I'm on 5.1

You say you have 2 cables, and both don't work. It may be that the iPad 30 pin port is defective in some way. Try both cables on another iPad 2 that a friend or family member may have. Try to rule out the iPad as the faulty party. Maybe also try someone else's adaptor (HDMI or VGA) to rule he theory in or out.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With 5.1.1 on my 4s it works fine and my iPad 3rd gen with 5.1.1 also it works. Here are pics of the 30 pin adapter. I think my phone had to be upgraded to 5.1.1 to work, but don't remember.

Attachments

• image-4062930110.jpg
    image-4062930110.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 227
  • image-4041424990.jpg
    image-4041424990.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 215

iloco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok that is the adapter I purchased. However I made a mistake, I'm actually on 5.0.1.

Am I correct that I cannot upgrade to 5.1 because it's no longer signed ?

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok that is the adapter I purchased. However I made a mistake, I'm actually on 5.0.1.

Am I correct that I cannot upgrade to 5.1 because it's no longer signed ?
I believe that's correct. It's the latest version or nothing as far as updating I'm afraid.

iloco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok folks. Problem solved. I purchased an Apple TV box last night and it works flawless. Simple and easy hook up and it mirrors all of our apple devices and plays our movies in HD right on the flat screen HDTV.

My only complaint about the Apple TV is that I wish I could add apps like Facebook, weather etc.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok folks. Problem solved. I purchased an Apple TV box last night and it works flawless. Simple and easy hook up and it mirrors all of our apple devices and plays our movies in HD right on the flat screen HDTV.

My only complaint about the Apple TV is that I wish I could add apps like Facebook, weather etc.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple TV!

Just received one for a Birthday present in December and have used it numerous times. It's a great device!!

Most reactions