What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting to tv.

Rhickmann

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an old model TV and want to connect my ipad2 to my Tv. I bought the composite av cable and hooked it up. The
Only thing that shows up on the TV is Netflix so I am assuming it has something to do with the iPad settings. Anyone out
There figured this out and have some help for me? Thanks!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rhickmann said:
I have an old model TV and want to connect my ipad2 to my Tv. I bought the composite av cable and hooked it up. The
Only thing that shows up on the TV is Netflix so I am assuming it has something to do with the iPad settings. Anyone out
There figured this out and have some help for me? Thanks!

Anything in the video app should play on your TV, when hooked up with the AV cable.

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well first of all what do you expect to show up on the screen perhaps something like when we connected a laptop to tv where we can see anything we have on the laptop screen itself or do you have other multimedia apps such as vlc media player which contains movies and wants it to show :ipad-movie:

OP
R

Rhickmann

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should be able to see whatever is on my iPad show up on the tv and it does not do that. We can stream some tv on our iPad that we
Can't get on our tv so I bought the cable having been told that plug it in and whatever is on the iPad screen shows up on the TV. It
Hasn't worked that way.

iloco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you suggest the correct cables for me to connect my iPad2 to my flat screen television ? My tv has all the standard hook ups such as multiple hdmi, composit etc.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you suggest the correct cables for me to connect my iPad2 to my flat screen television ? My tv has all the standard hook ups such as multiple hdmi, composit etc.
You can get one of these and any cheap or expensive HDMI cable and you're in business.

mgpitt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iloco said:

Although it costs around $100 can I recommend Apple TV. Bought it earlier this year. Apart from being able to stream movies, TV etc (which is why I got it) it is great for being able to hook up the iPad wirelessly (although you do need HDMI to connect the Apple TV box to your TV).

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iloco said:

If you buy the Apple HDMI cable, it also has a connector that plugs into your charger so you can watch movies all day without draining the battery.

iloco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you provide the link for that item at the apple store ?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iloco said:
Can you provide the link for that item at the apple store ?

Sorry, I must have been thinking of the A V composite cable, which does have a connector for the charger.

Art F

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mgpitt said:
Although it costs around $100 can I recommend Apple TV. Bought it earlier this year. Apart from being able to stream movies, TV etc (which is why I got it) it is great for being able to hook up the iPad wirelessly (although you do need HDMI to connect the Apple TV box to your TV).

The Apple TV now has only an HDMI output, which cannot connect to an older TV, I.e. one with only RCA - Yellow, Red, and White inputs.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Art F said:
The Apple TV now has only an HDMI output, which cannot connect to an older TV, I.e. one with only RCA - Yellow, Red, and White inputs.

I did a short search on the web and found several sellers of HDMI to composite adapters. This would solve the problem of using the latest Apple TV with an older TV set.

banokmichaei

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you have other multimedia apps such as vlc media player which contains movies and wants it to show

Most reactions